Substitute Exercise For Lunges?

Gwynn

Hi Cathe!

My DH cannot do traditional lunges because he has foot problems. His feet must remain flat at all times, if they are bent as in the back foot in lunges, he has foot pain for days! Not good! Is there a substitute exercise he can do?

Thanks,
Gwynn

We do "hover" lunges using a TRX that you could certainly try using a sturdy piece of furniture or ballet bar or something else at home. holding the TRX handles we lunge back and down, just like a normal lunge except the back foot never touches the floor, the shin is parallel to the floor. Obviously this is different than your traditional lunge because all the work is in the front leg but certainly better than no lunge option at all.

Also, we worked on a pose in yoga class recently that was like a crescent lunge but the back foot was pointed, top of the foot down on the mat. This was a lot of work for the hip flexor on that back leg. Not sure if that kind of pointing the toe would be problematic based on what you described.

Hope this is helpful!

Hi Cathe!

My DH cannot do traditional lunges because he has foot problems. His feet must remain flat at all times, if they are bent as in the back foot in lunges, he has foot pain for days! Not good! Is there a substitute exercise he can do?

Thanks,
Gwynn

My back foot also hurts from time to time from lunges. I have found that using my spinning shoes help because they are not as flexible. Also, Cathe's slide and glide discs make back lunges much more comfortable on the back foot. Another thing that I do is put my foot flat up against a step (meaning a step from stairs). This way my foot doesn't bend. However, it is a little awkward. Finally, there are times when I just don't do lunges and then I do leg curls and leg extensions instead of the lunges. Good luck to your husband.

I wonder if modified step ups would work for him, just really drive the push from the glutes and hams and keep the back foot as flat as possible.

Thanks for the ideas! MichelleW, the only tape I have gotten him to do (so far;),) is MIS. He does still do the lunges off the step which is like a shallow step-up. So, that's a good idea. aveggiegirl, I do that too! (Put my foot flat against the step.) It helps me keep my balance. I will share that with him. We do have a weight bench with a leg extension/curl attachment. Bostonwendy, we don't have a TRX, but you gave me an idea that he could hold on to something and lunge that way. Those "hover" lunges sound brutal!:)

Gwynn

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.