Studying to be Certified

S

sandra murphy

Hi, everyone. I post occasionally, but read (lurk) often. I love this site. I am so EXCITED because in July at the age of 48--I plan to PASS my certification exam as a personal trainer. I just finished CPR/First Aid certification and have been studying every night(almost) since Nov 99. My specialty is nutrition and I don't plan to train anyone; I'm doing this as a personal goal, but it's so fun and I'm very interested in the books and study that I'm doing. I'm certifying with ISSA, International Sports Sciences Association and with ACE. ISSA gives a little more emphasis on weight training but also covers the overall picture and ACE has the name. I just decided it would be fun to acomplish as a personal goal since I've been working out 365 days a year since 1973.

Congratulations Sandra!

That is quite a goal accomplished!
I am certified as a group fitness instructor through AFAA and recently finished Module 2 for BodyPUMP certification. I teach twice a week as a hobby (this field makes no money) and I thoroughly enjoy it. I *borrow* tons of choreography from Cathe!
As for ACE, in this field they are considered among the elite for certifications, along with ACSM. A few years ago, I too was going to certify with ACE in Personal Training, I felt AFAA has more of a group fitness emphasis. Isn't fun studying about things you love??
Have Fun and Take Care,
Myra

Are these courses online....?

Hi,

I would like to know if these courses are online with a couple of contact classes or if you have attend classes regularly.
I am very much interested in getting certified but am unable to spend too much time outside home.
Thanks for any information.

Hi, April and Myra

Thanks for your responses. It's always fun to get on line and see what others have said. April, I, too, am constrained in that I have a demanding full time job with lots of travel (some internationally) and I needed something I could do "when I could do it".--basically on my timeframe. ISSA Int'l Sports Sciences is indeed on line and you (issaon line.com) pay for the course of study you'd like to pursue and they send you an independent study package with books, video, etc. Plus, you can attend a live 2 day seminar near your home, if you are in a major city some where--or can get close!! (You don't need to, but I'm going to--it's included in the price.) I'm in Chicago. I have thoroughly enjoyed my experience so far...

AFAA

Myra, I forgot to say in previous post that I looked at AFAA, too, and found them very interesting and appealing. I may yet get their package as well. Murph

Congratulations!

Iam 46 and I think it is great that you are doing this at 48. As a matter of fact I wish we had a personal trainer at my gym who is 'older' because I can't bring myself to want to work with someone in their 20's. You would also be a great motivator for people who after 40 think they are too old to start trainer. I have worked out since 1985 so you have me beat but all I did was cardio and I have only begun weight trainer this year. I realize with aging I definetly need to do strength training if Iam going to stay fit as I age.

The very best to you,
SusanR

Go for it!

I'm 41 and certified as a personal trainer through ACE. It was one of the best moves I ever made. I started my own little company and work around my kids' schedules. Believe me, my "advanced" age has always been an advantage. I don't know how many times I've been hired because I'm NOT a 20-something with a perfect body. That can be so intimidating. Even the younger people I've worked with seem comfortable with someone more experienced and approachable. It's a great career with many, many options. I hope you use your certification and take on some clients. It's very fulfilling. And the pay ain't bad, either!

Sandra

I read your message and noticed you said your specialty was nutrition and you weren't going to train anyone. I was wondering if you have been certified through ACE as a Lifestyle & Weight Management Consultant or are you certified as a personal trainer/group fitness instructor.

I was just wondering b/c I only have the LWMC certification, and while I might get my training certfication at a later time, I would like to use this certification on its own. I did not know if I was the only one with this one and only certificate.

Congrats!

to LoriB, Jonbeth, SusanR

Lori: I am a personal trainer; a nutritionist from undergraduate college, but my main job is sales of medical packaging. Ha-ha. Life is funny in the turns you get to take!!
Jonbeth: Older is better for lots of reasons. I am enjoying all of it; as it sounds like you are. I love Charlene Prickett, too--as well as Cathe. Charlene is a role model for us over 40's.
SusanR: I, like you, was all cardio all the time til about 6 years ago when I discovered the Firm. For me, strength training has made all the difference. It makes it all "make sense."

from a 20-something

I understand all the points made, but I would like to ask that you don't judge because of age. It was kind of discouraging to me, because I would like to get my certification after my baby is born and now I am wondering if anyone will want to use me. I believe I would care as much about a 20 year old as a 40 year old. I don't have the perfect body either. Sorry if I sound crotchety. I'll use my pregnancy and the sickness it brings as an excuse!
Andrea

Sorry, too...

...if my message came across as sounding like "mature" trainers are better. When I first got certified, I was SO nervous that no one would want to hire me because I wasn't in my 20s. I started my career teaching senior strength and flexibility and to those folks I WAS young. That did a lot for my confidence. After a while, I realized that there's plenty of room in this industry for everyone who's good and dedicated to helping people get fit. I think trainers who are younger don't think about it much, but older trainers who are just starting out can be pretty unsure of their place in the fitness industry. I'm sure you'll do very well as a trainer and, again, sorry if I sounded discouraging.

Just Like men

there's a trainer for (well) just about everybody! and we're all different! But somehow we all find one, usually. (for better or worse, ha-ha.)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.