STS to lose weight???!!!

jaz050465

hi
I read so much conflicting stuff about this. I want to lose about 10-15 pounds of fat.
I love using weights and HATE indoor cardio - although I don't mind running.
What's the best way for me to lose fat and how much of a deficit should I be, calorie wise.

In my opinion, I think the best approach is to do what you love - then you'll stick with it! I would mix your heavy weight training (an STS rotation, then other weight workouts that you enjoy and challenge you) with some circuit training and metabolic workouts. Metabolic and circuit workouts are great for fat burning :) and when you combine them with other types of weighted workouts a total of 3-4 times/week, you'll change your body composition which is really what we're all after. With workouts like STS you'll build your metabolism from the increase in muscle mass, so it's all good.

Running and other outdoor cardio activities (biking, swimming, cross-country skiing, hiking, sports such as tennis) are awesome for cardio - one doesn't have to do cardio inside to get the fat burning effect! (Yah!) After reading many of Cathe's blogs, I now make sure some of my cardio workouts include intervals and some focus on building endurance through steady state training. These different cardio goals can easily be incorporated into running - by fartlek training, hill training, running faster between every second light post, long slow distance runs, etc.

Personally, I am not into counting calories as that can take some of the fun out of eating. Just cutting out the junk (refined sugar, processed stuff, simple carbs, that second glass of wine on Friday night ;)) takes enough energy for me! I think if you focus on enjoying healthy foods (fresh veggies, lean protiens, tons of water, green tea, some fruits, etc.) then you can eat as much as your hunger dictates.

Cathe has many fat-burning rotations that could be adapted - substitute running and outdoor cardio activities you love when she lists cardio workouts. But, I find for myself that I have to have an indoor plan B ready for days when the weather doesn't cooperate. Perhaps Cathe will 'weigh in' on this discussion with some suggestions!

Good luck and let us know how things go on this important journey.

Jane PG

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.