STS question re: bulking up vs leaning out

tricia

Cathlete
Hi Cathe,

I just started on the 3 1/2 month STS rotation, and I want to ask this before I get too far into it. I did the Strength Rotation this summer and was amazed at the strength gains I had. The other thing I realized was that I am prone to bulking up as opposed to getting cut/shredded/lean, whatever way you want to say it! I have always had an athletic build and am able to build muscle easily. My goal now is to get more overall definition. So, do I want to use STS Strength for that, or would I be better off using a different series? (I have them all, I've just not researched the differences enough and am feeling a little overwhelmed!) I almost think I should focus on Cardio, and utilize the Muscle Endurance workouts for my weight work. Or I'm wondering if I can use STS, maybe emphasizing Meso #1? I did a search and wasn't able to pinpoint which direction I should take, so I came straight to you! What would you suggest for a person to not add bulk without giving up weight work?

TIA -

Hi Tricia! I think you will really enjoy all of the mesocycles (most especially Meso 1). If you feel your muscles are getting fuller than you want, then increase your cardio by a couple of sessions per week (IE: if you do 3 per week, do 5 per week). Eating clean is key too. Many times when we increase our lean muscle mass, our appetite kicks into full gear. That's because muscle, unlike fat, is live and active tissue and demansds more calories. Feed it the good stuff, lower sodium, lower fat, moderate carbs, and all the healthy stuff in its natural state. Make sure you drink lots of water and have a little bit of extra protein on your lifting days to help with muscle definition and recovery. Good Luck!

I just started on the 3 1/2 month STS rotation, and I want to ask this before I get too far into it. I did the Strength Rotation this summer and was amazed at the strength gains I had. The other thing I realized was that I am prone to bulking up as opposed to getting cut/shredded/lean, whatever way you want to say it! I have always had an athletic build and am able to build muscle easily. My goal now is to get more overall definition. So, do I want to use STS Strength for that, or would I be better off using a different series? (I have them all, I've just not researched the differences enough and am feeling a little overwhelmed!) I almost think I should focus on Cardio, and utilize the Muscle Endurance workouts for my weight work. Or I'm wondering if I can use STS, maybe emphasizing Meso #1? I did a search and wasn't able to pinpoint which direction I should take, so I came straight to you! What would you suggest for a person to not add bulk without giving up weight work?

TIA -[/QUOTE]

Thank You, Cathe!

Thanks so much for the response, Cathe. I am glad to hear that I can continue on with this rotation. I actually feel like doing cardio on some of the upper body days, so that will work out perfectly!

I'm also going to pay closer attention to my appetite and food intake than I did last time, so I feel pretty confident that this is the rotation to jumpstart my workouts for the rest of the year. :cool::cool:

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.