STS Commentary

Aaroneet

Cathlete
I know that there was another thread on this, but I couldn't find it. Anyway, Cathe, my mother has been a fan of yours for a long time. She found your workouts by chance on the internet when she was googling advanced workouts. She had gotten her start with Kathy Smith, but she needed something a tad harder after a year. She immediately purchased Step Heat, and almost threw up the first time she did it. Regardless, my mother persevered. When the time came for me to try home fitness, you, Cathe were one of the first instructors to whom I turned. My mother and I applauded you when we discovered the plyo-challenge of Step Max, the never-push-too-hard ethics in your Maximum Intensity Series, the no-nonsense brilliance that is Cross Train Express, and the return to form in 4 Day Split. Granted, your STS is fantastic in its own right-it picks up in heavy weights where 4 Day Split only hinted. However, with the release of such a series comes a shift in the workout attitude. Suddenly an emphasis on step becomes an emphasis on weights. The Catheite (and I can only speak from an observer's perspective) seems to be trading in a repeater for a one-rep max test.

It shows how much you've grown, and I congratulate those who've completed such a daunting program. But, as you already know, heavy weights is a risky business. The Catheite who doesn't value this newfound embrace or cannot compete feels alienated. My mother and I have back problems that are preventing us from even attempting STS. At the same time, we want to keep some form of weights in our routines. Because of school and work, we don't always have seventy or sixty minutes for a full-on weights DVD. Weights are a wonderful way to keep the waistline slim, and to build muscle mass; this much is granted. But my mother and I, along with many others who I'm sure wouldn't be able to complete such a demanding program, should be given alternatives. Kettlebells, for example, keep the body in a fluid motion instead of isolating the muscles, which increase a risk of injury. I'd like to also see you use Yoga and Pilates as a way to strengthen the body. From Maximum Intensity Strength to Muscle Max, you already have a plethora of easier weight programs. Experiment a little; make an advanced Yoga DVD. There's definitely a way to use it so that it's challenging.

You were the innovator when you provided an advanced step program while step was still at its relative infancy, crammed sixty minutes of cardio into thirty, and gave the home exerciser a truly professional weight training program. But getting stronger shouldn't have to mean doing a one-arm row with thirty pounds. I'm eighteen; I want many years of fitness ahead of me. My mother's fifty. With problems such as an arthritic back, she can't afford to lift such heavy weights. Be the innovator once again. Strength can be found beyond the weight.

While I appreciate some of what you are saying in your post, I must give my opinion. I know that a lot of women are afraid of lifting heavy weights, but it's really one of the best ways to truly get outstanding results. The proof? Just look at pictures of Cathe when she was only putting out step videos compared to her smokin' body now!! Not only her, but her background exercisers are truly inspiring when you compare their former bodies with how ripped they are today. And only lifting heavy, like they do, can give you that.

I must admit that I have been wishing for a better selection of cardio from Cathe, but with the release of STS Cardio this fall, my wish has been granted. In my opinion, there is no one like Cathe for giving home exercisers the chance to have the best body possible. She started out ahead, and has continued to outshine, everyone in the business.

I do agree that lifting heavy can be dangerous if you don't know what you're doing, which is why you don't need to lift as heavy as Cathe when you're just beginning or if you have an existing condition that could be aggravated. But with Cathe's perfect form to follow, and brilliant cuing, she has taught me how to lift heavy without injury, and that to me is just as innovative as the beginning when she taught me how hard a step routine could really be! Plus, with Cathe TV, I can get extra cuing tips if needed. Cathe's DVD's are worth every penny, when you consider it's like hiring the best personal trainer out there, and personally I hope she doesn't change a thing.:)

Dani

Last edited:
Cathe's DVD's are worth every penny, when you consider it's like hiring the best personal trainer out there, and personally I hope she doesn't change a thing.:)

Dani[/QUOTE]

Thank you Dani, ITA.

I know that a lot of women are afraid of lifting heavy weights

I'm not afraid to lift heavy. I've lifted heavy. And as for Cathe's body, she's very muscle-bound now. Many people seem to think that this look is better for her. I think she looked adorable in her earlier days. In some ways, I preferred her before. But that's just my opinion. It should not stop her from doing what she wants to do with her body.

I would personally love nothing more than to lift heavy every day, but it's really not plausible for me to do so. I can't be a judge on STS Shock Cardio because I've never done that. She already has plenty of cardio out there. That's not my gripe. My gripe is with the emphasis on heavy weight lifting when there are other ways to maintain strength.

I personally don't approve of the direction in which Cathe is going, but I can't make any calls. I'm just giving my opinion on where I think her company's efforts would be best suited.

I'm not afraid to lift heavy. I've lifted heavy. And as for Cathe's body, she's very muscle-bound now. Many people seem to think that this look is better for her. I think she looked adorable in her earlier days. In some ways, I preferred her before. But that's just my opinion. It should not stop her from doing what she wants to do with her body.

I would personally love nothing more than to lift heavy every day, but it's really not plausible for me to do so. I can't be a judge on STS Shock Cardio because I've never done that. She already has plenty of cardio out there. That's not my gripe. My gripe is with the emphasis on heavy weight lifting when there are other ways to maintain strength.

I personally don't approve of the direction in which Cathe is going, but I can't make any calls. I'm just giving my opinion on where I think her company's efforts would be best suited.

This is actually posted in the wrong forum, since this is for exercise PRODUCTS, but...
My comment about WOMEN being afraid of lifting heavy weights was simply of women in general, and not to you personally. Many women are afraid of lifting heavy because they don't want to bulk up like a bodybuilder, which is nearly impossible for most women. Kettlebells, yoga, and pilates are excellant ways to get fit, and I'm sure you could find any number of those type of dvd's on CollageVideo.com. I personally would love it if Cathe would use Kettlebells in some of her future workouts, since I've heard a lot of good things about them. But you can't discount all of the inspiring results that people are writing in about using heavy weights in STS. The results speak for themselves. Plus, the whole premise of the 1RM test is that it's YOUR personal numbers - it's tailored to your abilities. And you can always adjust your weights if it feels like it's too much. To me, watching Cathe lift those heavy weights, and realizing that I can too, is the biggest boost. I love the feeling of knowing I can do something I never thought I could. I love to feel the burn, tremble, and sweat of a good heavy weight routine.

As for my comment on STS Shock Cardio, I too can't be a judge of that, (especially since it hasn't even been taped yet ;)) but it sure is great to have some fresh cardio to look forward to. And given Cathe's innovation in the STS series, I am totally confident that she will not let me down.

Personally I LOVE the direction that Cathe is taking, and I would be lost without her. She could make workouts till she was 100 and I would be in my rocker trying to keep up. I'm glad she's kept her focus on what truly works, and not just making workouts for the sake of keeping up with the next fitness fad. I say, leave the alternatives to the other experts who follow them, and leave the hard stuff to Cathe.;):D

Dani

I see where you're going with this, then. While lifting heavy weights gets results, you may not wind up looking like Cathe. Not everyone has that propensity to build muscle. Then again.you probably already knew that. Kudos for being able to embrace and complete STS. While I may not agree about using heavy weights without supervision, I'll quote Cathe: "You use what works for you". While the alternatives I've mentioned (i.e Yoga and Pilates) are not fads, comparing them to weightlifting is like apples and oranges. The two have a strength component, however, and it would be refreshing to see a challenging product like only Cathe can make.

Although I don't have STS yet, I do read everyone else's posts about it and what it has done for them. If I'm not mistaken, there are many Catheites,Cathletes, etc. who have back, knee, shoulder (and other) injuries or issues who are doing STS. They are just modifying anything that they need to in order to get a quality workout from it and still protect themselves from any injury or aggravation of a problem. All this being said, they are getting great results! Not all of them are "bulking" up, but getting leaner and more defined muscle and reducing their body fat. STS isn't necessarily about getting big musculature, but providing a heavy weight workout that's different and gets excellent results!

I think Cathe's dvds are well varied and there are strength dvds out there for everyone. Of course, this is just MHO and I've only been exposed to Cathe and her work for a few months.

If yoga and pilates are what you (general "you") are looking for, then there are other instructors out there who are "experts" or "specialized" in those areas. That's why everyone has workout dvds from several different instructors, not just Cathe! I, personally, think Cathe is on the right track and it seems to be working for a multitude of fitness enthusiasts and I can't wait to get STS and get my body fat down!

I certainly wouldn't want my favorite yoga instructor to suddenly start trying to produce or teach step aerobics or give me pointers in weight training!

Again, just MHO!

Tricia

I guess I could understand that. Do what works-a fair point.

I thought maybe she could attempt making workouts in those fields because I find many workouts from those genres (or at least the few I've tried) to be either boring or watered down. Then again those kinds of workouts are probably what classes are for. Good to know that I'm not the only one who would need to modify. Gives me the sense that maybe I-can-do it.

I guess I could understand that. Do what works-a fair point.

I thought maybe she could attempt making workouts in those fields because I find many workouts from those genres (or at least the few I've tried) to be either boring or watered down. Then again those kinds of workouts are probably what classes are for. Good to know that I'm not the only one who would need to modify. Gives me the sense that maybe I-can-do it.

Aroneet:

You can do it! Go to the STS forums and read, read, read. Do searches to find posts from people who talk about modifiers. Or, even post a question there or in Ask Cathe about good modifiers for back problems in STS.

Obviously, I don't have anything better to do in the evenings except for read all these forums! :D Everyone is great and they have a lot of knowledge! I hope to see you doing STS soon! Maybe we could start at the same time! I'm hoping to start in November after getting it for my birthday in October! (Yes, I'm hinting to my DH!)

Good luck!

Tricia

Thanks very much. I'll read like a demon now that school's out for the summer. If I have someone to start with, that would be awesome.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.