STS and Herniated Disc

Shelbygirl

Cathlete
I posted this in the STS Forum, but it was suggested I post here too so here goes...

Hello Fellow Cathe Fans.

I've been very excited about STS. Unfortunately, it looks like I have a herniated disc (based on an x-ray showing disc space narrowing, sciatica pain, foot numbness and loss of muscle use in my calf). I won't get the results of my MRI until next week, but assuming that it is a herniated disc, will I truly be able to make use of STS in the future?

I've been doing lots of research while I wait for my MRI results and my neurologist appointment, and it sounds like squats and lunges will be bad, as will heavy upper lifting (which I love, by the way). I've also heard that traditional ab work is bad for my condition.

For those of you who have had disc problems, did you order STS or did you have to pass on it? (Also, I've heard that kickboxing is bad when you have disc problems, even after you heal. Any thoughts on that one?).

Any tips/opinions on bad discs and weightlifting/kickboxing would be much appreciated! I've preordered STS, but if I truly won't be able to make good use of it, I'd rather know now. (I have this fear that my 8 lb. dumbbells will become my constant companions, although, I guess that's still better than what I'm able to do today, which is precisely nothing).

Thanks,
Shelbygirl

I'm so sorry about your disc! I think whether or not you'll be able to follow programs like STS or do traditional ab work depends on several factors; the location of the disc, the degree of herniation, the amount of permanent damage to your nerves, etc.

I herniated a disc in my neck about 10 years ago that required surgery. I have a plate in my neck but I've made a full recovery (except for some minor weakness in my shoulders and arms), and the only thing I was told to avoid was yoga. My physical therapist and surgeon encouraged me to lift weights. I've been fine ever since.

I wish you all my best for a full recovery. I strongly urge you to get PT after surgery and to keep at it. My recovery was slow, but it was GREAT and I've never had another problem. Please let us know what happens at your appointment.

Shelbygirl -

I've been working out with a severely bulged disc for years now and modifying. My MRI showed 3 bulges, with one being particulary severe and while the severe one is not totally impininging the spinal column and nerve, it is abutting it and causing me a great deal of pain and symptoms. I don't have numbness...per se, but I have decreased feeling in my forearm and weakness in my biceps from the C7 distribution of the condition. I'm not allowed to lift SUPER duper heavy and I really have to watch my form. I'm not allowed to do military presses or overhead triceps extensions.....but lately, I started doing presses overhead with KB's as it puts the body in a different angle and brings the lats into play more and i've been doing okay so far.

I've had to work out like this for years and can't even do pushups on my toes....as it aggravates my condition something fierce. I also have facet joint problems in my neck which contribute to everything.

Anyway -- I 've done everything from P90X to Cathe's and I always modify to meet my needs. Sometimes, I try and add something in that I haven't been able to do in the past to see how my body tolerates it and sometimes, I do so/so....and am able to add it in my routine slowly and other times, I get a bad flare up of pain and learn a hard lesson. I'm pretty hard headed about my injury.....as I don't want to be a wimp! so ...sometimes I'm stupid and do stuff I shouldn't because I know I'm strong enough and fit enough.....but it just aggravates the heck out of my injury.

I don't lift super light though....but I'm not stupid. I lift as heavy as I can with proper form and I don't compete with others who are not injured. I wouldn't say I'm confined to 8 pounds. I use up 5o 30 lb DBs right now and have been using 15, 20, 25 and 30 lb Kettle bells lately. Just remember to pick up your weight load with proper lifting technique (not rounded over) and I ALWAYS go super light with deadlifts and most overhead locked arm shoulder movements with Kettlebells.

I also practice yoga regularly and find that it has been helpful with some of the pain and stress of the injury. However, arm balances and some of the super duper strengthening poses are out of question for me!

Good luck to you and I hope you're results aren't too terrible. I'm pretty familiar with all of this disc/nerve stuff, as I worked for a Neurosurgeon for 6 years and learned alot about discs, etc while I was there.

Keep us posted............I ordered STS too.....and although, I know I'll modify it to meet my standards, I'm sure I'll get lots of use out of it and I look forward to it.

Hang in there!

Hi,

I had a herniated disk in 2001 and was in agony for 10 months. I did the steriods, physical therapy, had an epidural and nothing eased the pain. I had microsurgery ( microdiskectomy on an out patient basis)) which took all of 30 minutes ( just the surgery part of course)and except for the 1 inch incision, was pain free. After 4 weeks I returned to work, and after 8 was able to do some light workouts. I have done various Cathe, P90x, jog or walk on the treadmill etc. The only thing I have to modify is high impact aerobic type workouts like Boot Camp style. I am careful with kickboxing, not to jerk my body around much.

The surgery was the best thing I did. I am not saying that you should go for surgery...my brother has had a herniated disk for 30 years and opted not to get the surgery. He has been able to do most things with moderation. It depends on the severity of the pain you are in.
Mine was so bad, I had to stop most activity, could not even ride in a car or sit at a movie.

Sorry for the length of the post..once you get your MRI results, your DR will be able to tell what would help you the most.

I hope things turn out well for you. I know what you are going through.

Deb

Hi,

I had one herniated and one exuded disc (L4-L5,S1) ( a piece actually broke off) about a little over a year ago. I was in serious pain with numbness down my leg and into my calf. I finally went to the doctor when the muscle spasms got so bad I could not stand it. I had the MRI and he suggested immediate steroid epidurals, which I promptly said no to. I didn't have epidurals with my two kids and I wasn't having them for my back. I did use the muscle relaxers, but not the pain killers and I did a round of oral steriods.

I am not suggesting you do this, but I worked incredibly hard to rehab myself on my own. I read as much as I could, kept moving and slowly I have returned to normal functioning. It was not easy. I did lift upper, even while I was in serious pain, but nothing over 15 lbs in each hand. I probably made more progress during that time, than I ever have before with my upper body. At my worst, I had lost almost all strength in my calf and could not lift my body weight with that leg. I stretched religiously, and still do yoga religiously, but I can squat 60-70lbs again and just finished my second rotation of p90x. I worked hard to strengthen my core with a pilates technique called zipping and yoga. It has just been recently that I have tried some lying ab work. It tends to tighten the hip flexors and can reaggravate the back. My core is tighter now than ever without the lying ab work.

Someone on this forum recommended "Healing the back pain, the mind body connection". It is a little 'out there' but his point is well taken and helped me tremendously. You can get it used and I seriously recommend reading it. If you have any other questions feel free to email me. I feel your pain, but there is light at the end of a long tunnel of work and rehab. ([email protected]).

Yes I did buy STS and I also bought the p90x+ dvds.

Tracy

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.