*** STS 6-Monthers Alumni *** June 2012

Hi guys! Well I fell off the block here as I'm trying to wrap up everything for school! Graduation is now 21 days away! I still am in the middle of writing papers so may still be sporadic for a couple weeks! YAY!!!!

Kim, so you must now be two weeks from the run? What's the update?

Cendrine, hope your move went well! Don't worry about having gained a little weight - I HAVE TOO!!!

Rachel, Congratulations!!!!! I'm so excited for you! It is so exciting you are doing this for yourself! If you let me know when you'll be there in October, I will drive down too! That gives me a good goal to get this weight off!

I don't know where I ended up with this camper/trailer thing, but we ended up buying a 5th wheel! And yes, DH had to get a bigger truck. Cendrine, yes the 5th wheel has a queen bed, microwave, oven, 3 burner stove top. Everything but a washer/dryer and a garbage disposal! LOL!

I have to get busy on papers. This is the real crunch week. So I'll be back as soon as I can!

Last edited:
I went and did Step Moves. I had trouble getting going like I didn't think I could get through it and then the energy kicked in! Obviously still not up-to-par on where I need to be, but I got 'er dun! LOL!

Kim, Are you feeling fantastic running again? Are you trying to still work in some weight work or are you just focused on running to prepare for the half?

Rachel, went and looked at where you'll be going (hope you don't mind!) and you'll love it there! It's towards the coast and very beautiful. My brothers first wife was from there. I'm sure you'll be immersed at the retreat so maybe if we get to see you at all, it will be when you are coming or going to/from the airport! But then...ARUBA!!! Woohoo!!!

This makes me step back and look at all things we've been through together. Me with school, Cendrine move, Kim new house and RT, and now Rachel starting a new chapter! Life is so exciting!

Okay, now I have to get serious! TTYL!

Good to see you JO! 21 days!!!!

Yesterday was a 12.25 miler, just over 2 hours! Next week is a 10k race and then it's the half marathon . I'm really just concentrating on the running for the next couple of weeks. I do like the June rotation so might move into that afterwards.

KIM - OMG!!! What a fantastic time! I'm so excited for you!!! I can imagine how great you are feeling! Oh how I wish I could run again!!!

Well, GREAT news! I got on the scale today and am down 4 lbs! Yippee! But I'm not ready to try on my jeans I couldn't get into! LOL!

I also just finshed doing Power Hour. That was so fun! It's been such a long time since I've done that. Obviously I'm still using unbelievably light weights since I'm so out of shape but I feel I'm on the rebound!

Okie, dokie, just wanted to poke in and say Hi! I'm off to write! :cool::D;):p

16 days until school is over
18 days to graduation

Wow Jo, Time is just flying to your graduation! I am sure it might feel like a long time to you but to me, it feels like you really flew right through this!

I agree with you. We have all been through a lot together and I am so glad I have come to know you all. I love that we have stuck it out with each other through all the ebbs and flows in our lives!
I am still waiting for an itinerary so I can get all the details but I think you may be right on the time frame of getting in and out of Portland in October, but DH and I are still planning to come in late August. It would be so fun to have a lunch date with you all.
Jo, I never did get that travel guide info from Oregon so anything you want to pass along, like sites we must see....would be greatly appreciated.
We plan on taking one day to drive to the Redwood National Forrest. I have always wanted to go there!

Kim-You are amazing! That time is awesome! I think it is wise to stick with the running until the marathon is over and then you are going to be ready for some Cathe! Did I miss if you said the kiddos were out of school yet?

Jo-I forgot to say Wow wee on the 5th wheel and the new truck! Do yall have a summer of camping already planned out?

Cendrine-I hope you are back to some semblance of normality soon!

And so all of our countdowns begin!

Awesome Rachel about August! That will be the best! Are you flying to Portland? Are you driving? How many days are planning to be here? That will help me give you suggestions on "must see's!"

And yes...I see much camping in my future after school is out! LOL!

Our plan as of right now is to fly into Portland. We are really not very seasoned travelers so all the help in planning anything would be greatly appreciated. Dh is a great photographer too so I really want him to get some opportunities to stretch his artsy wings.
We are thinking about 7 days. So I am hoping that gives us plenty of time to see lots. You know I come from a state that it takes hrs and hrs to drive across so I have a hard time relating the fact that I might get to see a lot just by driving a few hrs.

Kim, I am all ears for all your travel planning experience.

I do need to arrange a transfer from the airport to the place the teacher training is at. I think it is 45 min outside of Portland. Are there those services in Portland? I am thinking I might consult with a travel agent...?

I am very excited about all this travel!!!:cool:

Great Rachel, I'll put some suggestions together for you.

Yes, you'll be able to get shuttle services from Portland. Very likely the resort you're going to uses a specific shuttle service that provides a discount or they may even have their own. I would call the resort.

Last question, do you mostly want to site see and do like walking trails, etc. Or/and do you want to do some sports activities like rafting?

Off to do some cardio again. I think I may have had a false positive on my 4 lb weight loss as I was back up 2 lbs today. But it may be I'm retaining water after doing power hour yesterday. I have eaten perfectly! :D I know...be patient...I'm just getting back into the swing of things!

I think mainly site seeing this trip Jo. I saw 2 places I was wondering about today while I was on Pinterest...Multonomah Falls and Thor's Well. Have you ever been to either of these places?

I am sure you are doing great. Sometimes the anxiety of the scale is not our friend!
I forgot to ask how the job search is going? I am sure though with school almost being out, that that is your main focus!

I think DH's uncle will be in tonight from Florida so we are going to have an impromptu family get together. Gonna go get ready.
Happy Cardio!
;)

I finally got a chance to post and DH is bugging for me to give his laptop back. Something about needing to do work:rolleyes::roll eyes: so will have to be a quick post.
Turbo Barre done tonight! Nice change from running!

DD had her last swim class last night, and she passed her level 10 Red Cross learn to swim lesson! :confused::confused:As a former swim instructor I was surprised as I don't think her front crawl is good enough but of course I won't tell her that. So technically she can start her lifeguarding classes but she has to be 13 and she is only 11! There is some kind of course to prepare them for the lifeguarding class so she'll do that next year.

DS is away at camp with all the grade 9's. It's like summer camp, canoeing swimming,etc, on an island for 3 days. Beautiful weather for it. The goal is that they speak in French all 3 days to get fluent, I'm sure that happens when the teachers' aren't listening.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

I was just reading in the open discussion the thread about the tower that Cathe uses in STS and other dvds. I never realized it was available on the walmart canadian website. I've never seen Cathe fitness equipment anywhere in Canada before this, they have a few of her things. I never ordered the tower as it would so expensive to ship from the States so I impulsively ordered it!:eek:

Kids are in school till the end of June, ds still has high school exams to contend with. DD is going to the divisional track meet tomorrow, the band concert was last night, piano recital on the week. Busy time of the year!

Sorry this was very self absorbed post. DH wants the computer! Got to go!

Hi Girls,

I'm still alive! lol! So sorry for the long absence! We hit the ground running and I am finally so exhausted that I just don't care what still needs doing, I'm just not doing anything....! lol!

Our trip up went really well, no stuck traffic and we even let the cat out of her carrier the second day and she plopped right down on my lap after exploring the car thoroughly... Turns out she makes quite a good travel cat.

We got here Saturday night and hit the stores the next day to get things that we knew we were going to need, like a new dryer and a fridge, some bathrooom mats and stuff like that and they had such great flower hanging baskets at Costco, I bought three for the three hooks that are hanging from the deck. We already have a hummingbird coming to eat from it... very cute. The kids are more excited about the blue jays and the squirrels, the tadpoles in the pond and the noisy frogs...lol! I got a nice surprise discovering that there are a lot of roses in our yard as well as hydrangeas, very beautiful and boutiful so I don't have to worry about cutting some for the inside. The yard is gorgeous! tons of work if we were to do it ourselves. the gardener estimate was 230.- a month! Not sure we want to spend that much but at the same time, I just know I won't be able to keep it so nicely manicured by myself... so I have to find a 'little' guy gardener, someone who isn't as established as the gardening service the previous owners used.

The moving truck arrived on Tuesday, I was traffic director and in the afternoon things calmed down enough I was able to unpack the kitchen and get it all set up. We all slept in our own beds that night which was super nice.
We had two days to unpack after that before dh had to leave to North Carolina for a week long conference, he's coming back tonight. While he was gone I couldn't do much as far as set up goes because the boxes are heavy to move, but I took to spring cleaning the house. The cleaning service we hired didn't do much, so I found myself scrubbing and wiping and washing... Still more to go, but at least I got a good start.

Hopefully we can pick up a screen this week for the bonus room where I'll be working out, so I can start my workouts again. I really need to get back into it!

We met several of our neighbors, all of them very nice and friendly. The ones right next door have two girls 9 and 7, they play very well with my kids and I think both sets are super happy to have each other. The parents trust me, they already let me take their girls to a park in the car second day after meeting them (they were busy with a major back yard project, so I imagine they were glad to have the kids out of their hair).

We found a gorgeous park with great trails and playground just 5 minutes from here and I know my way now to and from the major stores I will be using. Our neighbors typed up a 5 page local tips paper for me with all the good places to eat and all! Isn't that amazing!

So the dishwasher is leaking, and the guy is supposed to come fix it today. I've been doing dishes by hand for the past week or so. Of course I have not done any major cooking, but we are doing our green smoothies, and now that dh is coming home and will hopefully help me get the house finished up, I'll have more energy and time to do some actual cooking....

It has rained more than it has been sunny and I am cold, my houseshoes are not thick soled enough for the hard floors in this house, so I ordered myself a pair of sheep fleece lined houseshoes to hopefully give our heater a break... when my feet are cold, all of me is cold.....:rolleyes:

Apparently it usually is like this this time of year, supposedly should get better after this weekend.

Kim, I'm impressed with your time running as well! Like Jo, I wish I could do some running myself. Turbo barre is such a tough one for me, I cramp up in the stationary leg more than in the working one on that one. I'm happy that dd finished her swim lessons, I was just surfing around for a pool and lessons, looks like the closest one is under renovations right now. I might get them started on lessons later in the summer.

Rachel, so sorry I didn't send a big cheer your way sooner about getting accepted for the training! That is so amazing! I am super excited for you and proud! What a fun thing to do! Do you have any idea what you'll do once you are trained? Do you think the gym where you have taken classes will let you teach a class? Or might you do private sessions out of your home or other people's home? I imagine you probably will still keep up with dh at work, so you probably will be teaching after work, right? So much fun stuff to think about!

Jo, congrats on your weight loss and continuous progress! You are such a motivator, every time you share your workout experience it makes me want to go work out! lol! I am so excited that you are this close to graduating! I bet you can't wait to be done now!

Well, I hope this catches me up with all of you! I hope to be more consistent again now!

We spent the rainy Saturday afternoon rearranging the basement. When we moved in last year, two thirds of the rec room in the basement became a kid's hangout/video game area and one-third was for my fitness area. So we decided to switch it around. The kids don't use that area much except when friends are over and then they tend to sit on the floor as the furniture was to far away from the tv. So we put the tv/couches/ games in the smaller area by the stairs, it's nice and cozy with no wasted space. Then I have a huge workout area!!! I have room to leave out my new tower plus all my other stuff, more head space for jumping. I had to try it out with Pyramid Upper Body. I'm so excited to get started using it more after I'm done with the running!

Cendrine So great to hear from you again!! Sounds like the move went fairly smoothly!! I still can't believe how fast it all was! Has DH started the new job yet?? I have to say again, how gorgeous your new house is!! I'm sure you will be happy there! Is the weather going to be a lot different?? Have you put the other house up for sale??

Rachael So you are going to Portland twice?? One for vacation and once for the course??? What fun to get a vacation! You know I love planning vacations! I've already been looking at places for our winter holiday. I think we are going (just the 4 of us!) to some where hot when it is cold here. We are thinking February with the long weekend for a week, so the kids only miss 4 days of school. I'm not sure if it will be Mexico or the Caribbean though. Looking for that perfect resort! Aruba, where your course is would be awesome! But it's on the more expensive side!

Jo I'm getting so excited about your graduation. I have to admit that I have selfish reasons, you'll have more time to spend with us!:eek::eek: Isn't it fun to pull out those old workouts. Now that I have a bigger workout space, I'm hinting for a spin bike for Christmas. Cathe told us at the road trip that she plans to do more spin workouts. Will you be going back to the gym after you graduate?

Tomorrow morning we (DH, ds , me and my mom) are doing a 10k (dd is doing
the 5K). It's sponsored by the Wellness Centre/gym where my mom goes and she wanted us to do it with her. DS and I went a few years ago with her. My mom is a great runner but currently has a IT band injury so not sure if she will run. It's one loop of the neighbourhood for the 5k and 2 loops for the 10k so dd will stop after one loop. We plan to run as a family and dd has never run more than 2 miles so we will probably run at her pace.

Kim, we are using our bonus room for a kids play room/ workout room as well!, except you just changed it lol. I love that you can leave everything out! I love that I can leave everything out, too! Isn't that weight tower awesome? I have one just like it, except it does not say Catherine on it. Planning on starting the T-Mobile this week, TVs needs to wait til next pay period...

I do love this house and all the space we have, I don't so much like it when I've been scrubbing all week and still have more to do than I've already done... there's years of dust and dirt here....:eek: but at least now's a good time to do it and it will be easy to maintain (or I should say easier...)
I love all the flowers in my yard and the fact that I can just go out there and cut some without worrying that there's nothing left...

Workers have started removing the shingles off our roof yesterday, will probably take all week to get it finished, but it really needed it and this is about the driest season. There is... the temps are quite a bit different for me, the kids still run around barefoot and in shorts and t-shirts, maybe that's my problem, I'm not running around...:rolleyes:

Anyway, the temps are about 20degrees lower than what I'm used to, was seen wearing a down jacket and scarf out ...:eek:

Our house was listed 5 days ago, we got a full asking price offer the same day! Two more offers came in within 3 days but both lower, so we went with the first and escrow is now open! I'm so happy that this has been so quick!

Have a great run with your family, Kim!

Well congratulations on selling the old house! I'm sure there is less stress with that all completed! Hopefully you will adjust to the new temps soon!

The run went well this morning, it looked like it might rain when I got up at 7. But it didn't. It was overcast and warm so good for running. DD ran 5K for the first time ever, she did 30 minutes, and my mom did 26 mins:roll eyes: She is so competitive, she couldn't even stay with dd. The 5ker's started at a different spot but dd caught up to us and we ran together as her grandma was running faster than her.

DH, ds and I ran the 10k so we had to do a second loop.DS left us after the first loop and finished his run at 55 mins. DH and I finished at 1hr 1min. We had to stop for a runner than was down and there were emergency vehicles tended to him. Otherwise we might have broken the 1 hr. Not that I'm complaining about stopping for the emergency vehicles!! I sure hope that runner was okay, was a younger man, he was conscious, and they had oxygen on him.

My plan is to aim for 2 runs this week, then the half marathon next week. Then on to the June rotation! My biceps are killing me from Pyramid Upper Body yesterday!

Well I am so impressed with the both of you even more now knowing that you were not able to leave your stuff out for your workouts! I know how I am and it would be hard fro me to have to drag it out and put it up every time.
I am glad you both got new space!

Tomorrow we start a big job so I might be absent all week depending on how much of a fast track it will be on. We need the work though since I feel like I need to put back double for all the extras we are planning.
I do not think I have mentioned it but my dad has pneumonia. He has been pretty sick for a couple of weeks and unable to go to work so we are helping them out too. I went to see him today and although he is hoping to be released to go back to light duty, I just really don't think he is ready. He has lost a ton of weight the last two weeks so that makes me a little nervous. He is not bouncing back very fast.

Kim-So far that is the plan. Portland twice for me and once for DH. We were planning for Oregon before this so I can't very well take that from DH.:D Plus when I come back the second time I won't get to do any site seeing so I am looking forward to that time with DH.

Cendrine-I loved all the flowers in your yard too. So vibrant. And don't feel bad about the scarf! I would be the same way and probably will be freezing when I come there in Oct. since it will be in the 90's here still!
It sounds like yall are getting settled in very nicely. Have you started looking up activities for the kids with other home schooled kids yet?

Here's to a lovely Monday!

I did not fall into the abyss! LOL! I will post more in another day or 2! Cendrine, glad you're all moved in! It sounds like you have GREAT neighbors!

Rachel, yes, I've been to both those places. Multnomah falls is just east of Portland...like 30 minutes out down the gorge. Thors well which we always called the spouting horn is on the central coast so it's about 3 or 4 hours from Portland (been a while). As soon as I wrap about school, I'll give you a bunch of links. You will want to go down the coast as it's spectacular and driving the Columbia Gorge is an unbelievable experience. You go through many terrains. Multnomah Falls is off the Gorge. Anyway, I'll send more next week.

Kim! You made me smile! Thank you so much for wanting me back! LOL! I'm so ready to get back into our group! You did great with your run so is the half this weekend?

Meeting with my group every night this week. Our presentation is tomorrow night (a 4 hour ordeal) then we wrap up our final paper. Today I'm working on final paper for my other class and hope to wrap up tomorrow. One week from tomorrow school is OVER!!!

TTYL!

PS I'm ecstatic that Cathe is going to do more spin workouts! Her current one is an absolute killer (course I am out of shape! LOL!)

Monday became so busy that I never made it on the treadmill (my phone thought it was better to call it t-mobile):confused: in my last post....lol

Anyway, we had the ADT guy here all day and the roofers all around and I just didn't feel like taking a shower with a stranger in the house... so I decided not to get sweaty....:p Went to a super nice nursery close to our house and bought some nice perennials to plant for some color spots, couldn't plant them though, because by then the driveway and the side gate were blocked by a huge crane lifting shingles on the roof.... so planted them after they left.
They look beautiful and we managed to set up the gazebo and patio furniture so now it looks really nice out there even if it promptly started raining...;)

So Tuesday Morning I finally did manage to hit the tm, took it easy and did good stretching and some ab work. Felt quite tired but good after. Tm again today.

I seriously need to get into a good routine and get back in shape. I don't like this one bit....

Our alaska cruise just opened up booking port activities today so I scheduled for us to go to a dog-sled-camp and learn all about sledding with dogs. I really am looking forward to this one! All the port activities are crazy expensive, so we are going to explore on our own.
this is the disney cruise the inlaws are coming along with in August. I'm hoping for some nice reading time by the pool or something...lol!

oh, Rachel, I just realized, aren't you going to be here in August? I totally didn't put the two together, what time frame again? I hope we won't miss each other!

Jo, have a good end spurt!

Kim, your comment to Jo made me smile too! I couldn't agree more!

Jo Yes, the half marathon is this weekend! Of course, I'm wishing that I had trained more but I'll just had to do my best. Good luck on the presentation!!! You really are counting the days now!!!

Cendrine I don't know if I knew about the Alaskan cruise!! We did a Disney cruise (in the Caribbean) a few years ago, tons of fun. I'm sure the kids will have a blast! When is it??? It seems like most of us need to find a workout routine again!

Hope your week is going well Rachael! Will the job be done this week??

Just curious how many of you preordered the new workouts? It sounds like they may be arriving soon??

I feel like I'm complaining lots this week, but I had the worse DOMS I have ever have had in my biceps after doing PUB on Saturday. Monday and Tuesday were awful. Then after the run on SUnday my left ankle has been giving me some problems. Then last night I slept funny and my neck is so stiff and sore. DH was laughing at me this morning as I limped around with my head leaning to one side..:rolleyes::roll eyes: I sure don't look like someone who could run 13.1 miles.
I did do a 3 mile run yesterday but I was feeling it so I think I will go with rest for the next few days. Halfmarathon on Sunday, day or two of rest and then the June rotation in my new workout area!! I'm super excited about getting back to my regular workouts.

I'm off work tomorrow and I"m so glad, it's been quite the week. Lots of emotions from patients and coworkers. I really needed a break from certain people. I have one more week supervising the intern from the university. He's been a good enough student but I really need some space. I tried to give him some independence with 2 patients yesterday and neither went so well. It's so much easier to see the patients myself.

just a quick check in for me. I was on the tm every day this week and started some ab work as well! Feels so good!

Life is still really busy around here. Everything seems to take out more energy and time when you are in a new place trying to get into a routine with anything. I think I went back and forth 5 times in the store today trying to find all the things on my grocery list!

The guys are done hammering on our roof, which is a relief! It looks really nice, but the noise was not to fun, I am fighting migraines (probably adjusting to the local pressures and such) so the noise was a lot more noticeable.

Spotted one frog in the pond today, tiny little guys for the racked they can make...lol

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.