---STS 6 month alumni week of May 29th---

cendrine

Cathlete
Hi Girls,

Jet lag is alive and active here! It's only 7:30 am and we are already feeling like eating lunch...LOL!

I did a treadmill walk with my new shoes and promptly got a blister yesterday... So, no workout with shoes for me today. I figured since I am so out of shape it wouldn't hurt to do a gentle band pilates workout today, no shoes required and a stretch max segment. I did stretch the last two days and was pleasantly surprised how flexible I stayed, and it felt wonderful to stretch, so am going to do it again today.

I'm not sure what else I'll do today other than feel like a zoombie, but I will try again to post some pics, yesterday did not work out.... something didn't want to work and I didn't feel like digging....;)

Hi Everyone! WELCOME BACK CENDRINE!!!! :D I apologize I was not around to properly welcome you back but am glad you're home safe and sound! I'll get some delicious juices posted for you today!

I've had a challenging couple of days with a nasty migraine so haven't been able to do much. I haven't had one this bad in quite a while. We're having some strange weather here which I know triggered it. A friend at work who also gets migraines was taken down too!

I'm having some coffee now and will get caught up on the posts I missed. I wanted to get started on a new rotation today so need to figure out what that is and get to it!

HAPPY SUNDAY!! I'll be back....

Cendrien, I hope you work through the jet lag soon! So it sounds like the back is feeling okay??
I had my thyroid levels checked a couple of weeks ago and it's back in the normal range! The clean eating is going well, it's not perfect but I don't think it ever will be! Overall I think reading her books gave me lots of ideas of how to impove our diet especially how to get more veggies into things.

We were talking with our sales rep yesterday, he said it will probably be another month till they start building our house:( It seems like such a slow process! We're rethinking the idea of putting the house on the market in June and maybe will wait till August. Instead of September (which always did seem a little unrealistic) we're probably looking at October or November for getting the new house.

I've been up and wandering around the house for 3 hours and I don't even have jet lag:rolleyes: I'm such a early riser but it's pouring rain on a Sunday morning not much to do. I finished a book and not much else. My workout is the Fit Test which is only 28 minutes, I guess I should go get it done.

Jo I'm worried about you! Hope you're not still down with the migraine.

DD messed up a bit at her piano recital I think it was the difference on playing on a piano rather than the keyboard. She didn't seem to care though, super happy about her trophy.

Hi Kim! We must have been posting at the same time! I looked through the design center and it looks like fun! Glad you're feeling good about the choices and things are starting to come together! And, like Rachel said, tell us about it as much as you want! I love hearing about it.

Rachel, WOW on your workout yesterday! You are an animal! And my gosh you guys are making great progress on your project! How was hair day? Nothing like hair day to make a girl feel good! :p

Cendrine, bring on the chocolate! Oh I wish we were closer! Though I've never had jet lag like you're dealing with, I always find coming home my body acclimates very quickly to my regular time zone. It's great to have you back posting again!

I am pretty much headache free now today but need to have more to eat before I tackle a workout. I haven't had much to eat the last couple of days but unlike being sick, when the headache is over, it's over! I just need to make sure I'm fueled!!! LOL!

Cendrine, here's a couple of my recipes to get you started:

1. Kale lemonade (this one is my absolute favorite and very energizing):

1/2 bunch kale
6 or so leaves romaine
1/2" ginger
1 apple (I like to use granny for this one)
1 lemon

2. I have no name for this one. Another energizing and cleansing juice:

3 leaves kale
8 or so leaves romaine
2 or 3 handfuls of spinach
3 red apples

3. Another no name...

1/4 beet with greens
2 handfuls spinach
8 romaine lettuce leaves
1 collard green leaf
4 carrots
1/2 red apple

4. Yet another....

4 leaves kale
4 leaves romaine
4 collard leaves
4 stalks celery
1 beet
1/2" ginger

5. Here's one more:

2 carrots
4 stalks of celery
2 handfuls of spinach
1 handful of parsley

I lean a lot towards kale and romaine in my juices just because I really like them. Hope these give you some good ideas. All of these always make me feel good! And thank you for the marsala recipe! I feel like cooking tonight and have lots of sweet potaotes so might make that.

Jo, thanks so much for the recipes, I will try them out very soon. I have a few juices planned and bought ingredients already, so I have to make those first, but then I'm going to try these, they all look so good!

Let me know if you made the sweet potato dish, I haven't actually made it myself, but it sure sounded good and it came from a recipe source that has not failed me yet!

I am so glad you are feeling better! What workout are you doing today?

I did do the pilates workout with the band, it didn't feel like much but it was probably a good start back into the workout world...LOL! We also managed to swing by sports authority, I have had these 10lb weights for years and hated the feel of the handle every time I used them... I would usually switch to 8 or 12 just because I did not like using them... so I finally decided to splurge and get me a new set that I like, and it was on sale this weekend!

Kim, I just saw that they built a Harry Potter theme park in florida! I wonder if your kids will want to check it out next time you go to Disney world! It sure would be fun to go there and work out with Cathe and hang out with you! I don't know if it will happen though, like you, we don't do vacations that often and especially not ones that are pricey like this.... But one can dream, right? I'm glad your dd was happy with her trophy!

Hey, I would love to give you all a souvenir from Switzerland... and edible one LOL! If you like you can pm me with your mailing address and I'll mail you a bar of swiss chocolate for you to enjoy. So just let me know if you are interested!

Rachel, how are things for you today?

Oh Cendrine what beautiful pictures!!! What fantastic scenary! Kids look like they're having a great time and nice family shots! The mountains are just breathtaking! Well...uh...I'm thinking I might have to take you up on that chocolate...ahem...thinking about it...sure sounds good...however, I wouldn't want to take any away from you! :p:D;):cool:

I haven't done a workout yet. I'm doing laundry, had to go pick up a prescription, made juice for DH and me and want to get a couple other things done since I lost a couple of days. I haven't decided what to do for a rotation yet so I think I might just go do Step Moves today and then figure out the rotation tonight. I actually haven't stepped at all since my heel started bothering me but stepping sounds appealing today!

Oh and how's your back doing?

;)Go ahead and send me your address, I really do have enough chocolate to share!!!! LOL! But it's not like the one in the picture, it's a bar, but just as yummy!

I was thinking about a rotation as well. Now that I'm off anti-inflammatories, I can feel my back a bit, so I still want to be careful. I just figured out that a lot of netflix's workout dvds are available for instant watch and I found a bunch of pilates and yoga workouts so I might alternate walks on the treadmill with pilates and yoga workouts for a little while. Dh just set up our tv to receive netflix streaming, so I can do the workouts where I usually work out. Sounds good tonight, I might get bored and miss Cathe's step soon though.... I always do!

I had time to look through the CE magazine and I think I will be trying out a lot of the recipes in this issue. It's so nice to have new things to try, I don't know about you, I just get bored so quickly and love trying new things all the time!

I have never been hit so bad by jet-lag as I have this time! I am literally having my eyes close on me as I type this...:confused: But I am trying to force myself to stay up because I fiugre if I go to bed early I will wake up early and then I will be ready for lunch again at 7:30... I usually snap back just like that, but man, not this time!

My sister expressed interest in my clean eating menus and my green smoothies. She asked if I would be her accountability partner as she wants to loose quite a bit of weight. I figured I can get her some new recipes each week to make and then she has to tell me how she liked them. She is rather busy and has been relying on processed foods a lot, I think. So I think I better transition her gently or she will not want to hear from me again....LOL! I hope that she will be surprised though, how easy and quick meal prep can be when you work with clean ingredients. Going off to send her some recipes now....;)

Cendrine, did you find the anti-inflammatories make you drowsy? I'm going to switch and start taking mine at night as I get really drowsy about 2 hours after I take them and then just want to go back to bed! So I figured taking them in the evening may be better; then I can go to bed! LOL! You'll probably be back to normal by tomorrow night - sometimes it does take a couple of days.

Well I haven't gotten a new CE magazine. Where is it? I think it's great you're going to help your sister and I agree with you that you need to transition her a little at a time!

Okay, getting ready for bed. I'm almost finished with my book and want to finish it tonight!

I didn't notice any drowsiness with my anti-inflammatories, but I think they were a rather mild one. Apparently anti-inflammatories can be hard on the stomach (ironically) causing inflammation there... but this one was not, at least not for me, and I made sure I took it with food. For you, taking it before bed sounds like a good idea.

My mom told me about this rosehip supplement that helped some people she knows get off arthritis medicines because of its anti inflammatory effects, so I searched the web and found a really potent one, all natural, that I ordered. I am going to try it for a couple of months and see if it works for me. Sure would be nice! I'm taking all this other stuff, flaxseed, msm, fishoil and it does not seem to be enough. I guess if the rosehip does not work either I might consider going on a perscription anti inflammatory for a while to see if that helps. If all that does not help then I'm assuming that it's not inflammation but just plain simple nerve pressure...:( In the meantime I am forcing myself to work out on low impact levels to try to not aggravate any inflammation too much. It's hard, because every time I'm on the treadmill I want to run, and most of Cathe's workouts need major modification if I want it to be low impact. Maybe I should pick up biking... But coming to think of it, the weather is nice, I could hit our community pool for laps, that would probably be really good! I used to swim when I lived in Switzerland, even though I still only do breast stroke, but it toned me nicely and kept me in shape.

Just babbling here... The kids and us were up at 4am and proceeded to have breakfast at 5....Green smoothie!!!! Maybe tomorrow we'll sleep til 6;)

Happy Memorial Day Yall!

Man I missed a ton of talk yesterday! Sorry I was out but we started off the day running and did not quit all day. I had a b-day party for a friend of mine's grand daughter yesterday afternoon and that was about an hr drive one way so by the time I got home last night and got filled in on all dh's plumbing fiascoes yesterday, it was pretty much time to call it a day! My poor DH had one thing after another yesterday! Our kitchen faucet started leaking and so he thought after he finally was able to fix the toilet, he would tackle that. One thing turned into to another , I guess and when I got home last night I had that new Delta touch faucet that I have been dreaming on! I love it but that was totally not the intention when he got started and I was totally surprised when I got home. The sad thing is there are still a few kinks he has to work out today. I know he is really looking forward to more plumbing...LOL

Oatmeal is about done so as soon as I am done with breakfast I will be back!

BRB
Rachel

Cendrine, You and I must have been posting at the same time.
I hope your sleep gets back to normal soon but if yall have to have jet lag at least all of you seem to be suffering the same schedule!

I meant to came back and post on Saturday but we got busy that day and my dad came by to visit with a sack full of yellow squash and one scallop squash (or patty pan squash). Then Dh's dad wanted us to came pick in his garden and I came home with green beans a host of peppers, cherry tomatoes , a couple of roma's , new potatoes, and some more scallop squash! Now I have a huge dilemma. I have a ton of produce and I am the only one that eats any of this stuff. DH will eat the potatoes and maybe the green beans but nothing else. So I am trying to figure out what to do with all of it. I have never made scallop squash before and have been looking up recipes for it but most of the ones I have found are for frying it and I do not want to do that. So I have to keep looking but feel the need to find something soon.

This mornings workout was another toughy. It was Gym style chest and tri's and then followed by 30/30! I think the gym styles was actually harder than the the 30/30! Maybe because I knew what to expect from the HiiT but forgot exactly what the GS was like. Tomorrow is CCC...That is another tough one for me but I can start focusing on it today so by tomorrow I will be in the right mindset!

Kim-I think it is great that dd did not beat herself up about the mess up! Sometimes kids tend to feel the pressure to succeed and it overwhelms the experience but it sounds like she is having fun while learning! That is great.
Sorry the progress on the house seems to be slow but it sounds like once they get started that they are going to fly. It should look like they are making alot of progress once they get started! I do think it is a good idea that you are waiting to put the house up though...You don't want to be homeless..LOL

Cendrine-Although I am dying to take you up on the offer of a swiss chocolate bar I am afraid that if you mailed it to me and we were working, by the time we got home it would be a swiss hot chocolate!LOL The temps have soared here and we went straight from winter to summer!
The pics were great! It is hard for me to believe that people live in such picturesque places! It is just so beautiful! The kids and the whole family looked like they were having a great time in every photo!
So far the only recipe I have tried in the CE mag was the one with the pasta with spinach ricotta pesto. I think I added a little something to it but it was a couple of weeks ago and I can not remember. I do remember liking it though that was for sure. I want to try the Spinach chicken and mushroom Crepes too

Good Monday Morning!

Our weather is just crappy here - it was crappy yesterday and again today! So I should be trackling bigger projects but instead I'm sitting here drinking coffee! ;)

Rachel, sounds like a great workout today! All your fresh vegetables sound wonderful! I wish I could share in your bounty with you!! :D I may have a recipe for the patty pan squash - I've fixed it before - I'll see if I can find it for you. I think I did something with them with spinach. Congrats on the new faucet! Love new faucets!

Cendrine, let me know how that anti-inflammatory works for you. I already take flaxseed and fishoil. Swimming's a great idea and you would probably love getting into that again.

Hello Kim! Hope you had a great weekend! You're probably back at work today.

When did you guys get your CE magazine? As I mentioned, I haven't gotten one yet.

Rachel, your garden harvest sounds delish, I can't believe you already have all that growing in the garden, wasn't it just spring? If you can't think of any other way to use up all the veggies, I would cut them up, toss them in olive oil and roast them to make a veggie medley that can be stuffed into a pita pocket with some feta or something, possibly drizzle it with balsamic. Most squash roast up pretty well, so that might be an option unless you have already found something!
I want to try that pesto pasta dish, and I am definitely going to try the crepes as well, they sound delish!

You are right about the jet lag, we at least are all on the same schedule...LOL!

It is amazing to be able to live with views like my parents have, however, not everyone has that kind of view, my siblings all don't have places with that kind of view, but it is also really easy to go places to see all this, almost any train ride will be picturesque even if you are just commuting from Bern to Zurich for work, you still get a nice show... However, people are not as friendly as here in California. Most people are rather reserved and keep to themselves in public. Doesn't mean they are not nice people but just not outgoing at all. I prefer the friendliness of the californians, don't know if other states are so friendly too, but at least here people are very outgoing for the most part.

I did a Netflix streamed pilates workout today. It's fun to do something new without having to buy it! I'm not sure, do you guys think pilates can be done every day, since it mostly uses just bodyweight? I am still getting over the blister from my walk in the special shoes so I was doing Pilates barefoot, which feels really nice for a change. I probably have two more days or so before I feel well enough in shoes again.

Jo, I am sorry you did not get your CE magazine yet, what's up with that? Or has it come so long ago that you think I'm talking about a new one even though it's already three weeks old? I just got it because our mail was held while we were gone.

Kim, I feel with you about the building hold up. I would be nervous. It seems to me that most houses don't get built in a couple of months... which only would lead me to think it will be delayed move in.... So, selling the house later, I think, is a good move, too!

Rachel, like Cendrine said, roasting the squash with other vegetables always works. Here's a recipe I did a long time ago and for some reason I remember putting spinach and red peppers in it as well. If nothing else, maybe this will give you some ideas - this might be one you could get DH to try! ;)

http://www.cooks.com/rec/view/0,1850,147166-251196,00.html

Cendrine, I looked online and I have only received one issue of CE and it's the one before the current one (boohoo). I'll have to email their customer service and get one sent to me! I think you can do Pilates every day if you vary the workout. I think it depends on how intense it is. It's so different from lifting weights and think how we often step everyday. You could try it and see how you feel.

I forgot to mention I had made a huge pot of beans yesterday (my pinto bean soup) and then our friends stopped by with a banana cream pie. So we all had bean soup and they all had pie! :eek: Fortunately I hate cream pies so not even a temptation for me! I ate an orange while they all had pie! Off to the shower!

Hidy Ho Kim!

Thank yall for the roasting idea...I have no idea why that never occurred to me! I made a soup recipe from the internet for lunch. It was nothing to write about. lol I had to add after it was done. It was good for me but I think it needs alot of tweaking. It had zucchini and yellow squash. I really have a lot of peppers too. poblanos and anaheims. I am only one so there are just so many stuffed peppers I can eat. But I do want to try to make some. Poor DH I am so wrapped up in all these veggies it is hard to think of regular food for him.
I did find a recipe for stuffed patty pan squash for squash haters (who'd a thought there would be those people out there ..LOL) So that is for tonight or tomorrow and then I am going to try the one you posted next, Jo. I know that no matter how good the squash for squash haters is that dh is probably not going to be a fan so I am looking forward to the one with all the other yummy stuff. I will probably definitely add peppers.

Jo-I forgot to mention that I made your famous black bean and kale soup but I could not find the pacific spicy black bean soup...so I improvised and added all sorts of things that wanted to join in from the fridge;) I did half the recipe too because I went to the grocery to get the ings. and planned to make the soup the next day and then that afternoon is when we started being bombarded by all the produce...That was a nice bomb though. lol

Cendrine-I know we start getting our stuff early in the south because it is so hot so soon. I think this year it is really early though. The bad part is that every one is having to water so much because we are 7+ inches below what we should have for this time of year. I am hoping things turn around for the summer but I am thinking it is going to be a long hot one!
If you get to the crepes before I do, since I am knee deep in other veggies, let me know how they were. I have not ever made crepes so I am a little apprehensive about them!:rolleyes:

I think dh and I are going to go catch a movie this afternoon. We are really lazing it up today!

Oh yea...I was wondering if yall thought that the broth from the soup would make a good stock for some other soup or something...SInce I do not think I will be eating the rest but I hate to throw it out. I have it separated to save now .

Hope yall are all having a great day!

TTYL
Rachel

Hi All! I just thought I'd pop in for a minute. I just got done making some tortilla chips and they are in the dehydrator. I'm not getting anything done today except talking on the phone, finishing laundry and of course making my chips. These are going to be some HOT ones! LOL!

I ended up spinning yesterday and then did Step Moves today to test out my new Brooks the Dr told me to try. I think they'll work. I'll still wear my Rykas for cardio at home and use these Brooks at the gym. It felt so good to do step today! Also, I decided to try the anti-inflammatories one more time in the morning since I didn't need to go anywhere today...and what do you know...not drowsy! So maybe I was just plain tired the last few days!

Oh and Rachel, I think you could use the broth as long as you use it in the next week. What movie did you go see?

Well hope you're all having a good day!

Rachel, I was looking through my cook books and found these two recipes that look interesting (I'm especially interested in the Tuscan Vegetable Saute). Though it doesn't call for scallop squash, you could easily include it. Anyway, I was able to find both these recipes online. Again, may not be exactly what you're looking for but with your creative cooking style, may give you some ideas:

Tuscan Vegetable Saute (this one is in my whole foods cookbook):

http://www.wholefoodsmarket.com/recipes/1793

Scallop squash with Saffron (this is in my Vegetarion Cooking for Everyone cookbook). In all honesty, I've never cooked with saffron before.

http://recipe.aol.com/recipe/scallop-squash-with-saffron-rice/137574

Hey guys
Just a quick pop in to see how everyone's holiday was!

Mine has been nothing but relaxing. DH and I went to see Iron Man 2 and the theater was just about empty which is just like we like it! It was so hot today, it was nice to do something inside.
Now DH is working on tweaking the sink and then we are going to waste away the rest of the day and I am not even going to feel bad about it.

Jo- Thanks for the recipes...I agree with you the Tuscan one looks very good. You could also tweak that a bit and make it spanish style probably which would be good for all these peppers.
If the beef tomatoes ever come up and I have time still (if we are not at our next job) I want to try to make some fresh salsa. I think that would be delicious.

One of the women at the party yesterday was an adamant canner and I wish I could go to her house and learn a few things. Her husband has an acre garden and she said she is already going to have to start canning the green beans next week!

Cendrine- i know there was either something I was going to tell you or ask you and now for the life of me I can not remember...Need Ginko! lol
Hope you are getting back on track!

Kim-I know your holiday was last week so I hope you are having a great day anyhow and hopefully work was not that hectic. And congrats to DS!

Better go! TTYT

Rachel

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.