><---***STS 6 Month Alumni Week of May 22 ***---><

Hello Girls! Well looks like none of us made it to the threads yesterday (or am I not seeing our thread?)!!

I am in the middle of studying for midterms and had another weekend battling headaches. So I may be sparse for a couple more days until I get through these tests. I don't know that I'll take 3 classes again. I'm making it but this has been a challenge. BUT I JUST WANT TO GET DONE!!

Oh and DH is gone for a couple days so Ibo has been providing me challenges. He's been looking for DH and then this morning he woke me howling at the top of the stairs at 5:45 - scared the crap out of me as I thought the house must be on fire. Nope, he just decided I should get up and play. Well, I guess I needed to get up anyway right? So I'm sitting here with my coffee wanting to go back to bed but now it's time I should be up anyway and he's sound asleep! Also he took off running in the garage the other day anxious to get in the back of my SUV - I had my arm tangled in the leash (I normally let go which I did but it was still hooked to me somehow) and layed me out flat on the garage floor. We have piece of carpet along the vehicles so I didn't land on the concrete. Anyway, my left arm (good arm) was extended straight out; my faced planted in my arm (thank goodness), lipstick smeared on the arm of my sweater on the bicep where I did a face plant on myself (again better than concrete). Somehow my right wrist (the bad arm) is all skinned up and of course now my left arm, hip, knee and shoulder all hurt from the impact. But Ibo was in the back of my SUV happy as a clam. Had to go change my sweater of course. Other than that and the howling, crying for DH and me having to hand feed him to keep him on his schedule, been having a great time!

Got to go jump in the shower!

Last edited:
Wow, Jo, that's quite an unexpected fall you had there! I hope you feel better soon! I had to laugh at Ibo waking you up though! So I don't know how you are going to walk him three times a day and keep with all the other responsibilities you got going on! It's a good thing you are so high energy!

I didn't have time to check in yesterday, and your post was the one highest on the list, so I don't know if there is another one existing... ;)

I made an appointment for an evaluation by a chiropractor who offers spinal decompression treatments, I read that those treatments can get you back to normal athletic ability! I'm sure hopeful! I'm going tomorrow morning and will find out what option is best for me and how much this is going to cost me...
I'll keep you posted.

Workout was bootcamp with low impact modifications for the cardio segments. Worked me out well.

Hi everyone else!

Evening All

This is the 1st time I've sat down at the computer all weekend!

So, my gym floor didn't get installed this weekend:( When the guy came on Saturday to do it he said we really should put an underpad on first, rather than just over the plywood that's there all ready. DH installed the underpad Sunday and the guy was going to come back today but he cancelled. So my house is in a bit of a mess still as everything is either shoved in another spare bedroom or in the hallway:mad:

My workouts this weekend were, Friday rest, Sat. Slim Series Firm it Up (legs) Sunday Kickmax and today was LIS excluding abs. I love that one:p

Yikes Jo - that fall sounds like something out of a comedy:eek: Hope you're not too sore. You might feel it tomorrow. Hope you do well on your tests - 3 classes at once does sound like a lot.

Cendrine - have you always had back trouble or has something recent happened? I'm so looking forward to having my gym floor installed. Even yesterday during KM - all the jumping jacks I could feel in my back. How old are your kids? Do you have them signed up for summer camps etc?

Rachel - Isn't it amazing how much time we spend running around just to stock everything up. I shake my head at DH who buys 4-5 underarm deodorant at once but maybe he has the right idea:p

Kim - did you make it through the long weekend in the trailer? Hopefully you didn't get waterlogged:p

Well, Jo, seeing as how other than Kim, who is gone I would be the last one to have made a checkin, you were right to start one. LOL

We just got so busy around here this weekend that I didn't have a minute yesterday to checkin.
Work is really picking up so it might be some short posts from me the next few days too.

Workout this morning was Kickmax since I do not have cardio kicks which was on the schedule.

Jo-Man I hope you are not sore from the fall. They get so excited don't they. My friend has a lab that will absolutely not eat until she gets home. Then he gorges himself.
Hang in there on the school. You will make it.

Cendrine-I will be interested to know what you find out from the new chiro. We have a friend who is about to get a steroid shot in his back . He has been to the chiro alot but it has not helped. I wonder if one like you are talking about might help.

Patricia-Sorry about the flaked out floor gut. I know how when you are anticipating something it can be a real disappointment when it does not happen. I forgot to ask you what you are getting as far as flooring goes?

Ok Off to read. Have a great night.

We're back from the cottage. We had all kind of weather, some heat, some cold, some rain.:rolleyes: Everything is in pretty good shape after a long hard winter. The boys (DH and 2 BIL's) got the ride on lawnmower, ATV, boats all running. The dock they built last summer is still standing. The only thing broken is the push lawn mower and of course the water pump on our camper. We did sleep in the camper in the yard both nights. I do enjoy it as with 13 people it's nice to have quiet place to escape too.

We completed a whole puzzle, had some bonfires, went for walks. The kids swam. We took out the motor boat, canoe and pedal boats.

I did get STS Total body done Friday night and MMA Boxing on Sat. am before we left. The rotation calls for a 45 min run as the next workout, I might just skip it as I figure the walking/canoeing/pedalling etc makes up for it and I'm tired! All the fresh air is just exhausting! I'll move onto MMA Fusion tomorrow.

Jo What a fall!! Some of the worst hand fractures I see at work are from large dogs and leashes. Dog owners wrap the leash around their hand and then the dog takes off and breaks fingers. Be careful with the leash! Is DH home soon?? Poor Ibo missing his dad.

Cendrine The nature walk sounds like fun! It seems like you have lots of interesting things to do around where you live! Good luck with the dr's appt tomorrow! Are the kids excited about being on holidays?

Rachel When I was doing STS Total Body on Friday I was thinking how much lower back work there is on that workout and maybe that contributed to your sore back last week as you had done it earlier in the week?? Glad your back is starting to feel better. I had a big shopping trip for stocking up on Friday but I was mainly buying stuff for the cottage/camper.

Patricia How frustrating that you didn't get your floor in! Did he reschedule?? So rumors are that tomorrow is the day!!! (that the Jets come back) Everyone is waiting for the announcement, even the premier is hinting at it. My boys have their Jets jerseys out and are ready to go to the street party at Portage & Main (downtown) at a moment's notice. I bet there is very little work done around Winnipeg tomorrow.

So my sister asked me on the weekend if I carry my Kindle with me everyone I go, LOL. My niece who just turned 12, just reads non stop, so my sister was looking at my Kindle and thinking maybe she'll buy her one for Christmas.

Okay so this Thursday is supposed to be sentencing. (remember is was supposed to be end of April and then got postponed). I received an email from the parent's of the victim (the mom asked for my email when I went to meet them). They have decided not to do victim impact statements at the sentencing as they feel it will not make a difference and they don't want to do it in such a public forum. It's such a big media case it would all be publicized. They still want to make statements as they feel it would help with closure so are hosting a victim impact statment dinner. They are inviting friends and family over for dinner and everyone who wants can give a victim impact statement.
I received an invitation this evening via email.
It's like a never ending saga, every new twist I just feel physically/emotionally sick. Not sure if I should go or not. Hopefully after this week it's all over.
Till the book comes out this fall. (there really is a book coming out). It just seems like I start to move on mentally/emotionally and then there is another twist.

BTW, the mother did write a book about how she survived the first year. It was written back in the 1980's, I saw it when I was searching Amazon for Kindle books. I think it's called "Have YOu see Candace" by Wilma Dersen. The book coming out this fall is by a newspaper reporter that has followed the case for years.

Wow Kim, it sounds like yall had a great time this weekend.
I don't think I would go to the dinner but that is just me. I am never good with people I don't know anyway.

It's a short post for me cause I need to go get some stretching in after being bent over all day.
We are nearing the end of this job but I am afraid we might have to go straight to another one that is behind to help the crew out that is there. So it might be another month of hard work. We will see.

This mornings workout was B&G and I rocked it. I have been feeling lots of energy with this no meat during the week thing so I am going to stick with it. It's a good time or it since I am getting fresh veges. thrown at me from all directions.;)
Definitely not complaining about that!!!

OK off to get a stretch in before I read.

Hope all is well with everyone.

Evening Gals

Just finished up Michelle Dozois - Rockin Body - 30min aerobics then did Ab Jam from TJ. Just need to make my lunch tomorrow then off to bed.

Rachel - I have the name of the flooring at work and will get back to you. But its a vinyl cushioned gym floor. It was left over from a gym that we did on a recent project we did so I snapped it up;) DH is thinking of having a BIG S (like Superman) painted on it as our last name starts with S - but I`d rather have a slogan - something motivating.

Kim - you seem to keep being dragged back into something that frankly other then being on the jury which was highly stressful really doesn`t have the same meaning to you as it does to the family. I think you should try to cut ties. You did you job and the family needs to let go. Sorry if I sound harsh especially since I didn`t go through it but you need to recover too by moving on:confused: On a happier note, I`m glad to hear you had such a good time this weekend. I can`t believe your kids went swimming. Wasn`t the water still cold. No way would I be in our lake yet:) Hopefully you`ll be able to figure out what`s up with the H20 pump.

DH and I went to a nutritionist today. I eat fairly healthy but always trying to lose 10lbs. (I must confess I`m a sweetoholic;)) DH is diabetic and has 100lbs to lose and he needs some outside influence to get him back on track. Believe it not other than insulin he doesn`t take any medicine and is fairly healthy except he is having some issues with his eyes. I think because he is turning 40 this summer he is starting to worry. So my fingers are crossed I`ll see some progress this summer with him.

Hi Girls,

I had a busy few days, so I'm going to try to catch up now...

Patricia, did you guys get any helpful hints from the dietician? I started serving my family green smoothies about two years ago. We have one every morning for breakfast except weekends (I usually make them the night before so they are just grab and go, that way the kids don't have to wait for me to finish working out to get their breakfast...) Anyway, we have had great results with smoothies. Dh had to had issues in the past and had to have colonoscopies, they always found stuff. Well, last time he went, about 6 months ago, he came back completely clean, and that is since being on the smoothies. Dh was very pleased. I hear good results for diabetics on green smoothies as well, do you think that would be something for you?

My kids are 7 and 4, and yes, they are signed up for boy scout/girl scout summer camp, which they are looking forward to! Swimlessons are going great this week and the weather is actually pleasant!

Kim, I don't think I would go either, because just like you, it takes me forever to process stuff and then it gets all dug up again and I have to start over. I'm sorry this is so ongoing for you, hopefully you can put it to rest for good soon! The time at the cottage sure sounds fun!

I don't have much time but wanted to update you on my chiro visit. The dr took plenty of time to assess my situation and right in the room called their favorite MRI place and got me in the same day! I was rather impressed! Well, 5 hours of office time and MRI time got me quite some information! It turns out I don't have a bulging disk, I have a herniated disk at the L5/S1 level, and the one above it is degenerative. He said the herniation looks like on the upper side of moderate, whatever that means, but he did say he was amazed that I didn't have any leg issues. This probably explains why my other chiro never thought it was all that bad. He helped me read the MRI and showed me some damage that had been done to the vertebrae while I was still growing, they were dented in at places where they should not have (possibly my gymnastics attempts when I was a kid and all the heavy book bags) Anyway, he says I'm an excellent candidate for the spinal decompression treatments, but my insurance only pays 40% of it, but their track record is very impressive and I was told I would see results in 1-3 visits, with a total of 20 visits for the completion of the treatment. They couple it with physical therapy and massage, so we are talking 1.5 hr sessions 3 times a week! All I can say, it's summer break and when will I ever have so much time as right now? My other chiro says it's just glorified traction, which she can perform on me but never has?:confused: A friend said she did traction and it was horrible. I did some research and it turns out the decompression machine has an automatic sensor and backs off pulling when the tension gets to a certain level which traction machines don't do. Too much traction can have the opposite effect to where it makes your muscles spasm in response which will compress your spine rather than decompress. So, knowing that, I am rather hopeful that this treatment will work well for me. I'm not sure how to break it to my other chiro that I'm doing this, because I like her and don't want her to be offended.
So, after I talked finances through with dh, we are going to go for it! Not sure if I can start next week, but if they have an opening, I'm in!

I have read tons of testimonies on spinal decompression helping with a variety of back issues, it's not limited to bulging and herniated disks, so you can mention the name of the treatment to your friend, Rachel, because it gets most patients to be able to go back to normal activities after treatment, meaning, it fixes the problem not just masks it with pain meds. That would be so cool if it worked for your friend too! I already have four people here who can't wait to hear how it works for me and will jump right in if I get better.... LOL! So much for being a guinea pig ;)

Strange day today. I wasn't supposed to be working today so had the alarm repair guy coming this morning as the basement windows connections were disconnected when the window was replaced a couple of weeks ago. Then the hospital phoned and asked if I could come in for a few hours as it was super busy. The repairman came early so I squeezed in STS Total body before running to work. One of my patients that I saw this afternoon was 99 years old!!!! He lives alone in an apartment and had fallen and broke his hand. His friend dropped him off and left. I had to spend a hour looking for his friend, could never find him and so finally put the 99 year old in a taxi (paid). So since I spent so much time taking care of him I really didn't see many other patients.
Today's DH birthday so we went out for dinner after work. Just kind of a strange day.

Okay, against my best judgement and all of yours, I'm going to the victim impact statement dinner. Even typing that, it sounds bizarre. My gut feeling tells me I shouldn't go as it's time to move on and that I shouldn't get caught up any more in this family's drama. Really, really after this event it's time to move on. Hopefully the sentencing happens tomorrow, we hear the statements and I will cut ties as per Patricia's advice. Although I plan to remain friends with some of the jurors. It's been such a story of my youth/city, that in some ways I feel part of it probably more than I should. The family is so personable/welcoming that you feel part of their world. Maybe that's why they have been so well known in this city. Often interviewed by the media on different topics over the years.

Rachael Sound like you are doing great with this rotation! I will start the last week tomorrow or Friday, it's look like a harder week! Are you planning on doing the June rotation? No more problems with your back? I guess that it's good there is lots of work in the near future!

Patricia Oh, the lake was freezing!! No one under the age of 18 would be in that water!! That is so interesting about going to a dietician. I would love to hear more and to hear what your DH thought. There was a good article about nighttime snacking in the newspaper today, and I used the "clipping" feature on my Kindle for the first time. I thought it would be good to keep as a reminder as my downfall is snacking in the evenings on things like cheese/crackers, cereal and I don't think I'm really hungry, it's just a habit.

Cendrine You sound excited about a new treatment possiblity:D:D I really like the idea of combining physio/chiro/massage. I think often in health care the team approach is so effective and not used enough. I wouldn't worry too much about your chiro's feelings, she is a professional. I'm sure she would just like to see you get better.

Jo So did you get a chance to see TBL finale? Everyone looked great! Rulon was never even mentioned. DH said he read that he was found cheating and asked to leave. DH recognized him from the Olympics.

Sorry I'm MIA again. This is stressful week with all my midterms, work and DH being gone so it's me and Ibo and he has been stressed out. I read all your posts but will still have to keep this short (I'm looking forward to this long weekend to catch up!)

Cendrine, WOW I hope this treatment works for you! Isn't great to finally have more definitive information about your situation!

Kim, I hope you are okay and can get past all of this after this next dinner. This needs to be over for everyone. I'll be thinking of you!

Rachel, hope you're not working too much!

Patricia, did the nutrionist suggest or provide a plan for DH?

Forgive me for my briefness, after I finish these tests I'll be back again more!

No worries, Jo, I can just imagine how nonstop your days must be!

Busy here too, next week should be better!

Just checking in to say hi!

So sorry to be missing so many days here lately. We are busy busy and last night I was going to do a quick check in and the internet was not working so I got so frustrated I just went to read instead. :p I might have even cursed a bit. LOL May be a lot. Good thing the cat can not repeat what she hears.

Anyhow we are on these schools and of course now that school starts in the middle of August we need to be done with then ASAP so they can move in. These kids really do not know how lucky they are. I will try to snap some pics when it gets a little closer to the end so things will be cleaner so yall can see how nice these schools are turning out.

I have been able to keep up with this weeks rotation so today was Intensity:eek:...I have to admit that I did not do the Low Impact hitt at the end but I thought by that time I felt like I got the point (LOL) so I called it a day. Just one more left. Kim, it is a tough week esp compared to last week but I felt like it went pretty good so I think you will do well with it too.

OK I will have to come back for personals later, I have missed so much.
TTYL

Wow Cendrine- I just really got to read your post about the decompression therapy and I am really hoping it works for you! I can not imagine going through constant pain like that. Even if it is on and off, it would be really hard to deal with. It sounds like you are excited about it.
On another note...do yall have any summer plans for vacation or are yall just taking it easy this summer?

Kim-First of all Happy belated birthday to DH.;) I hope he had an enjoyable one. Is he going with you to the dinner? It would be nice to have someone there with you. I hope this does close the chapter for you. Whatever it takes to help you feel that this is behind you is what you should do and only you can decide that.
I am not sure yet about the June rotation. I was going to just keep going along but I will take a look at it and decide. I think I am going to take the week off a little next week and just do some light things to give my body a break.

Patricia-There are so many different types of sport floors out now days. You are kind of like us. We lucked out on the wood flooring we installed in our house last summer. The company we sub from had way too much of it and we kind of traded out a little labor for a lot of flooring.
I love a good motivating slogan...I am even motivated by the "ribbit" on this months calendar page with Cathe doing leap frogs...LOL It doesn't take much for me as you can tell.

Jo-I think you might be the busiest one of all of us so don't fret if you can not get in to post regularly...We know you are thinking about us. Did you have any residual pain from your fall with Ibo? What did your dh think about that? It is funny, when I was younger I had a doberman and a friend and I were playing keep away with him and I guess he thought he would show us and he just plowed right into her legs and knocked her off her feet. Luckily she did not get hurt and we still talk about that to this day.

Well we have to work tomorrow and Monday so no holiday for us but we get so many days off that it is not that big of a deal. So if I am not in tomorrow, don't take it personally. LOL;) Have a great Holiday weekend to you down south and to you girls in the north, just have a great weekend anyway.;)

Our first week of swim lessons is complete, and I am feeling very good about it. Dd is now able to come up for air ( :D:D:D:D:D) and ds is learning all sorts of styles, he is doing all the regular stuff and has just learned the dolphin and will tackle the butterfly when we resume our second week of lessons in a couple of weeks.

I also just got my therapy days squared away, hopefully dh will be able to cover me as far as the kids are concerned. I'm excited to get started and so hope my body responds!

Workout today way 4DS premix lower intensity circuit. I was told the first two weeks of therapy I should do nothing at all, even no vacuuming and mopping and no workouts... so I thought I'd do some more weights up till I can't... ;) Maybe they'll let me walk on the treadmill, we'll see...

Rachel, enjoy your weekend and don't worry about not checking in, we all have our days when it's busy or when we just need downtime!

Hi everyone else!

Just finished CardioKicks. Remember when we moved in and there was some water in the basement bathroom? There never did find where the water came found but it has been dry ever since we moved in. Anyways they were coming to today to replace the cabinet that was warped from the water. So 8:30 this morning, the plumber came to remove the sink, and said he would be back later. Then the cabinet people came removed the old cabinet, replaced it with a new one. Then I waited all day and the plumber never came back:mad::mad: How frustrating so the sink is still out and now they said they'll come on monday but I work on monday:mad:. So I couldn't work out all afternoon because I kept thinking he was coming back. Just annoying!

Well it was a very long day yesterday but a good one!!:D:D After both lawyers presented their cases, the judge gave him the maximum penalty. 25 years before being elgible for parole. The family was ecstatic. I went to the dinner right after work and didn't get home till 11:30! (way past my bed time) The get together was was very nice and not as emotional as I thought. There was lots of people there and about 25 got up and spoke with her parents going last. It was nice but too long!! I was a good way to wrap up that chapter in my life!

Rachael LOL on the cursing! Technology can be so wonderful and yet so frustrating! I came home so tired last night and wanted to read in bed for a few minutes and my Kindle was frozen! I figured it out easy this morning when I was more alert but frustrating at the time.
I would love to see some before and after pics from your work! DH didn't go to the dinner with me but 2 other jurors went (and one's husband). One lives close to me so we drove together, he is super outgoing and funny (the guy from Ireland) and since I'm pretty shy he's good to go with. He has a very thick Irish accent and he was so funny on the jury he kept telling everyone that he was just here on holiday.

Cendrine Sounds like your kids are doing great with the swimming! I use to teach swimming/lifeguard and the butterfly is like the hardest stroke to learn! I'm surprised they are teaching it at such a young age, it's usually one of the last strokes to be taught. When do you start the treatment??

Patricia Are you back to the cottage this weekend??

Jo Hope you're get some fun time this weekend!

I was just talking to mom and then my aunt. My aunt and uncle (who have not seen our new house yet) actually picked out the exact same floor plan with the same builder and signed a contract. So funny! They had looked at all the show homes and couldn't find anything they liked. The showhome of our plan was sold last summer. So they started looking at floorplans and picked this one. She was showing my mom and of course my mom recognized it.I'm sure there's tons of floorplans so just seems like such a coincidence. Anyways they are going to come over tomorrow and see the house as they have never seem this style except on paper. They lived in the USA and moved back to Canada 2 yrs ago when they retired and bought a house on a weekend visit to canada which they have never been happy with. So decided to build their dream house, I'm kind of surpised as they are in their 60's and this house plan is all stairs. Should be fun to show them the house though. She sounded really excited on the phone.

We went to see kung fu panda 2, which was enjoyable, but I was very groggy and had to work really hard to focus...:confused: then we had lunch at a place called veggie grill, Jo, I think you would love this place, I had a tempeh burger with avocado on a whole wheat bun, (optionally you can have it without the bun on steamed kale) I had sweetpotato fries with it...:eek:

Now I'm in my hammock on the porch hanging out with the family, it's a gorgeous day here too! Kim I'm so glad you had a good closure! Bummer about the sink and the missed workout, that kind of stuff can really get me into a sour mood!

So one of my goals for the summer was to put a years worth of photos in our family album... I'm 4in years behind...lol! I used to do Creative Memories albums and am decked out with a rather decent array of tools and :cool:stuff, but somehow I was not feeling it... Then a friend showed me an album she had just made online and got it sent to her in the mail, that got my attention and I started checking out websites and ended up doing 6 pages yesterday... I might just be converted to the online thing... probably will end up making books for christmas presents, pics of the kids and pics of their art too...

Good Saturday...well it is now that I am home. This has been a horribly long day starting off this morning at 3 something just being very nauseous. I am never get sick so when I get a little something it seems that I feel it hard. I am not sure what caused it but I was still tasting the lasagna that I ate the day before at 5 so I am wondering if it might be a touch of food poisoning. I just set on the floor in the bathroom this morning hoping I would either throw up and get it over with or just be better. Neither would happen until around 8. Now I am just tired. I am trying to stay up even though DH is napping.(punk) LOL I want to go to sleep tonight and have a productive day tomorrow. Even though we went to work today, I feel like I have wasted the afternoon laying on the couch and drinking tea.:rolleyes:

Kim-The Irish guy sounds fun. I don't know why but I like to picture Gerard Butler when you talk about him lol.
I am glad you are having what sounds like to be great weather.
I really have a great disdain for flakey construction people. I think if you say you are going to do something you should.

Cendrine-The albums sound like great ideas for gifts. Esp. for the family you have that are not near enough to see the kids alot. I love the idea of adding their art work too. That is going to make them seem to have a real personal feel.
Is dh going to take up your slack on the chores around the house too?;)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.