STS 6 Month Alumni **April 2012**

cab0899

Cathlete
First off, just want to send lots of ((HUGS)) to Rachael. What an emotional roller coaster you have been on. As a healthcare professional watching families deal with mental illnesses, can be heartbreaking. I know families feel so helpless in trying to help their loved ones. It sounds like you are doing everything you can just being a good support.

It's great that you have found a love of yoga so that it can be a good stress reliever during these rough times. We'll still allow you to check in with us even though you aren't using Cathe dvds;);)

I would love to meet up at a road trip one day!! Maybe we should just plan ahead to meet July 2013 or 2014 at the New Jersey location, LOL

We did another family run. (dd biking and DH, ds and I running). We did 8 miles in 1hr 21 mins! I'm really happy with our time. DH is much faster and he's just running at my pace to make it a family event. :cool: We still have 2.5 months to get to 13.1 miles, I'm aiming for a 2:10 half. My faster half ever was 2:01 but I was much younger. I would love to break 2 hours but I don't know if that will ever happen.

I signed the 3 of us for the half marathon in June so we are committed now.

I must be losing my mind ( haha...I thought about that after I wrote and in light of recent events had to find some humor in it.:eek:) But I could swear I already posted in this thread...

Oh well.
Kim you and your family runs are so inspiring. Just think if all families just had a little of that, how much healthier the world would be.

Thank you for the kind words. I think that all my life since my moms mental issues started, I just blamed her. I was 12 and I guess that was a time in my life that I was going to start pressing against my parents a little anyway and that opened up a gap for me to even have more to challenge than is normal for a soon to be teenager.
With the lack of very much professional help, especially for family members, I never learned to deal with that. I am just now starting to have empathy and a real emotional response to her illness. It is sad that it has taken over 20 years but I am just glad that my mother is still alive. Otherwise I would have to harbor a lot more guilt on top of that which I am working through.
I am starting to realize that, in addition to the blame I put on her, I also have a lot of guilt and shame for the feelings that I have had all these years but am starting to realize that I was 12 and had to deal with a very adult situation the best way that a 12 year old could without any outside help. Mental issues in the family are still a closeted issue and it was even much worse 20 years ago. Life is a process and I am not going to fret over the years that I have lost but I will move forward and hopefully be able to let go and become a better person from the lessons that my past is going to teach me.

OK That was heavier than I intended so on a lighter note...Our yoga class this morning was on back bending. The challenge at the end was to use blocks against the wall to aid us in walking up the wall from back bend and then back down again. When I heard this at the beginning of class, I knew I was not going to be able to do it so I let go of that and just concentrated on each pose as they come and for the first time, not thinking about what was coming at the end of class.
Then it was time to get to the wall and just see what we could do. Well I knew I could do a back bend so that is what I was going for. So hands on blocks, wrists and forearms against the wall then push up and press the forearms against the wall...Then take one hand off the block and press into the wall, then the other...then one at a time I just walked up the wall....Not saying it was not hard and took some concentration but I DID IT!. I think this mainly stemmed from me not making it my goal and then there it was.
I must post script this by saying before I started yoga I had never done a back bend my whole life...Not even as a kid. So in less than a year I have gained that much body awareness.:cool:

I guess my life lesson for that is that when I concentrate so much on the end result, I lose sight of what is going on right now and lose the benefit of the present.
So philosophical:rolleyes::p

OK I'm stopping. LOL I hope you are all having a wonderful week thus far.
TTYS

omg, guys, I can't believe how long I've been mia.... I was so involved in getting things decluttered and focus on what needs to get done, and then my thread notification somehow started getting delivered in my spam folder, so I missed you guy's posts until I discovered today that it was in the spam folder....:rolleyes:

Rachel, I am sorry for the difficulty you are going through with your mom. Mental illness is in my family line and I have had to deal with some form of it from four different members of my family at different times in my growing up as well, so I understand when you say you didn't know how to handle it. No one knew and no one was about to take the effort to educate us and help us with it... I am glad you are able to process your way through it now though. I hope your mom gets better, it is very sweet how you made her care packages and cards and called her every day. Very caring of you!

Congrats on your walk on the wall! I have to be honest, I can't get my head around what that looks like... LOL!

Kim, nice work on your running time and the overall workouts you have done, you are sounding like an energizer bunny to me!

Since we last talked, I have pulled down every single storage box in our garage, gone through all of them, tossed a ton, donated a ton, took about 300 books to the library (books that I and dh had accumulated over the years....:eek:) then used the now empty boxes to start packing up things that I won't be needing for a while, like most of my office stuff, cleaned out ds' room, packed up his bookshelf, cleaned out dd's room, didn't pack up her shelf for lack of boxes, cleaned out my closet, cleaned out my under the sink cabinets, .... it's been crazy and so nice at the same time to be cleaning so much.
It has helped me deal with the stress, which surprised me, I had all this tension in my neck and shoulders, not getting better and once I started doing all this sorting etc, all of a sudden my tension went away!

Dh picked up more boxes today, so I will keep packing up things, like albums, a bookshelf in the bedroom, stuff like that....

We have also been looking at homes. There is one home that looks fantastic on the pics, realtor is taking a video tour for us tomorrow to see if it's as nice as it looks on the pics (all the bedrooms were left out :confused:) If the rest of the house is as nice as the main floor, which has a library, then it might be our number one choice. Although there is a big balcony and a huge deck with a gazebo and if that is in bad shape it might need to be redone, and I don't know how much that would cost... so, not sure if we are going to want to take that on or not.

There is another one really nice one with wonderful storage and such, that looks pretty much move in ready. It's in a very elegant neighborhood, so a lot more pricey...

I'm telling you guys, I am in some odd kind of mode, sleeping about 4 hrs less, thinking, thinking thinking.... up early, getting more stuff done.

I am also in the process of emptying out all the stored food that has accumulated. So I had this bag of teff and didn't know what the heck to do with it. So I was online checking out recipes, so now we are having teff burgers for dinner tonight... I had a lot of flour to use up too, whole wheat, qinoa, amaranth, etc, so I made a double batch of blueberry muffins, and a double batch of dried fruit bread (dried fruit to use up too, soaked in rum, since I had that sitting in the cabinet forever as well :eek:) and believe it or not, even with the two double batches, I still have flour left! Why on earth do I collect all this stuff! LOL :rolleyes:

Now comes the bummer part. I was doing so well with my eating, but now I am totally stress eating! :eek::( I'm hoping things will calm down in my head soon so I can get back on track!

I forgot to mention, I think if we were to get the house ready for sale we would have to repaint everything and recarpet everything, that's the minimum. I have kept a good upkeep of the carpets, shampooing them and spot treating them as necessary, but still, they are 15yrs old... I know I wouldn't want to move into a house with lived in carpets. But dh just told our neighbor who is a single guy that loves to do projects that we were getting ready to move and he said to let him know when it's listed, because he was thinking about making an investment. I told dh to ask him if he wants it as is and fix it up himself. That would sure make for a fast sell....

I am so sorry to dump this all on you guys! I should have warned you to get a cup of coffee before attempting to read all this! :rolleyes:

High Fives on the wall walking Rachael!! So much fun to be able to achieve a goal and see how far you have come.

There is no right way for family members to deal with mental illness, every family will cope in their own way. Hopefully it is becoming less of behind closed doors diagnosis so that their can be more public education.

So is there anything left in your house Cendrine??? LOL What a great feeling to declutter! I'm sure the decluttering helps you feel more in control of the whole situation. Did you get to see the video tour of the house?

Did a cardio coach on the tm tonight. I wasn't really into it and didn't finish the last few minutes:confused: DD started swimming lessons again tonight. She really like the teacher and the kids in her class. So should be a good 10 weeks.

just got done looking at the video tour of our nr 1 house, omg, it's even better than we hoped! There is a whole big room with built in shelves that the listing didn't even mention, which would be perfect for our school room and the bonus room that had the green carpet that I knew we would have to do something about, well, it's recarpeted! Lots of extras like Tiffany style lamps left behind, window treatments, great floors, I am over the moon for this place! It is absolutely unique and beautifully detailed. I don't know what we are going to do with all the room but boy, do I want this one! LOL!
I haven't even seen it in person and am ready to put an offer on it! LOL the realtor was all praise for it too, so that helps. The front yard has a sloped grassy area that ends into the sloped driveway which I can just see the kids using for sledding when the dreaded snow arrives....:eek::rolleyes::D
Dh says he has to have loan approval before he can put in an offer and I'm jsut itching, worried that someone will snatch it right from under us! I don't understand why this place has not been sold yet, it's that amazing to me!

Enough house talk, though. Kim, you are right, there is not one right way to deal with mental illness, but it would be nice for it to become less tabou, so people don't feel so alone dealing with it.

I'm glad dd likes her teacher and the class, I'm not sure what I'm going to do for swimming this year. The house does not come with a community pool, so will have to figure out some public place, I'm sure there's stuff around.

I've already put my feelers out for Boy Scout and Girl Scout troops/dens for the kids, but can't really narrow it down until we have an acutal address.

I did treadmill today, just trying to keep doing something in the middle of all this craze...

Jo, Rachel, I hope you guys are doing well!

Good Thursday Morning.

We have had a few sad things happen over this past week. On Monday night, the secretary that works in one of the offices that we sub contract out of, committed suicide. Although I only spent time with her at the shop, I have spent lots of time hanging out in her office talking office gossip. She always had a smile on her face there but I knew she had alcohol problems and I am sure her work persona did not reflect how she was at home. She was only 40 and has 2 kids ages 4 and 12. Very sad situation.
Then my sister FIL passed away Tuesday night. He lived a long life. He was 94 and just recently had to be placed in a nursing home. They were coming in for Easter but had to come earlier so her DH could help with the preparations for the funeral.

Sorry it seems I have nothing but serious topics here lately but I do have to admit that it is nice to have a place to write it all down.

Cendrine-I am so glad that you have found a house that you are getting attached to. That excitement is going to keep you pumped up for the move, I think. I know just what you are talking about with the little sleep. I get that way when a change is coming. It seems like I have plenty of energy still too. The body is a weird thing! I hope you can link some pictures to the house when the ball gets rolling.
I hope your neighbor is interested in doing all the repairs. That would be so lucky for you!!!

Kim-DD is starting out on a good note , it sounds like.
I have been meaning to ask you if ya'll are getting any of the warmer weather that we have been getting? Ours is a lot warmer than normal and I am sure ya'll would enjoy some warmer temperatures.

Long weekend for me ( 4days off for Easter!), one week to the road trip and it's a beautiful sunny day! We are hosting a family Easter dinner today for DH's family but it' s a small group, his mom, grandma, sister and BIL. I made the dessert last night "death by chocolate", going to keep the rest of the dinner simple but need to get the house cleaned up today.

Rachael, our city had the warmest March ever! We broke temp records like crazy. We were wearing shorts in March!!!! Crazy for us. But of course last week which was spring break for the kids it was cool and rainy most of the week. It is supposed to cool down this weekend with a chance of snow Sunday so some days are summer like and some winter like. No real spring this year.

Cendrine,, that is so neat that you already found a house you like. So is the job a for sure thing??

Oh Rachael, life has been very hard for you this year. I'm sure it's hard to remain upbeat with all the sad things surrounding you. Any death is hard doesn't matter how well you know them or their age. Please feel free to use us a sounding board at any time. ((HUGS))

Not much exercise here this week, I worked out so hard last week and next week is the road trip (EEK!!) so just trying to fit in a few runs and not much else this week. THis weekend is going to be crazy busy so won't worry too much about exercise.

:eek:With all my house hunting and packing craze I totally didn't factor in time for egg coloring! :eek: I'm going to get eggs tomorrow and do this wit the kids tomorrow afternoon! I can't believe this, I sort of thought I had another week.... :rolleyes: I'm becoming quite the scatter brain with all this stuff going on!

The realtor just wrote up an offer letter for the house I told you about. Some couple from Seattle had come to see it today and she was very proactive for us to make sure we get something in before they do... So dh is flying up on Monday to walk through to make sure it's really what we want. I can't believe things are happening so fast! I really, really like this house! I so hope no one is able to outbid us! I will try to post some pics soon. I know it is a unique house, and it has to be your style, so maybe you guys won't like it because you have different preferences but the friends who know me who I showed it to say it has my name written all over it...:)

oh the suspense!

Rachel, I'm sending lots of hugs your way. You have had a hard season, lately! I second Kim, sound off here any time with any feelings and thoughts!

Kim, enjoy the long weekend!

DH and I are sitting around waiting for kids to get up and hunt for Easter eggs maybe they are getting too old for this tradition?? LOL Got to be careful where I sit, don't want to squish the chocolate:rolleyes::roll eyes:

Too many Easter treats and not much exercise this week. Hoping to do a little run sometime today. Later today we are having a family birthday for ds who turns 15 on Tuesday. :D:pI'm taking the kids and their cousins bowling and will bring a birthday cake. I know kind of strange to go bowling on Easter Sunday, I booked it a couple of months ago as I got a great deal.

I think I found some ladies to share the shuttle from the Chicago airport to the hotel. It is a 90 min shuttle ride and it's super expensive ($167 each way). So will be great to share the cost and to meet some other Cathletes. I ordered a Cathe shirt and Cathe socks from the road trip specials. Going to try and get my clothes organized today. I only have 70 minutes when I change planes so I want to do carryon so I don't have to go get my luggage so have to keep my clothes to a minimum. I'm not sure if I have 6 workout outfits at least not ones that I would wear outside my basement.

Any word on the house yet Cendrine??

I'm so looking forward to my kids sleeping in! Dd was ready to hunt for eggs:rolleyes: at 6am. I can't believe I was almost not ready...lol! We colored marbled eggs yesterday, they looked really pretty, but D's did not show much interest, may become a mom and Dd thing.... I made eggs with white gravy on toast to use some up at breakfast. I found this idea on a blog and it was super easy and well received. Made devilled eggs with the rest for lunch.

Kim, not much exercise here this week either... I am so glad you found someone to share the shuttle with, that is very expensive indeed! Are you getting excited? I would have to hit the store for some nice workout outfits... I would not have that many nice ones either...;)

Here's great news, we beat the other people to a signed sales agreement for the house pending a full house inspection! Dh is going up tomorrow and the inspectors had a cancellation, so they can do it tomorrow while he's there! It was a close race and now I think I'm in this stunned state that it actually happened and it's really ours!

I wonder when our move date will be....

Happy Easter Jo, Rachel and Kim!

Congratulations on the house Cendrine! Things are moving fast!

For some reason, government employees get Easter Monday off as a holiday day so I'm at home DH is at work, kids are at school. :D:D We missed our long run yesterday due to Easter and ds's birthday party so I went today. My mom came with me! I did 8 miles and she ran 6 miles and then walked/ran a little more! She has always been in good shape. We were slightly slower than when I run with DH/ds but not by much.

I can't believe the road trip is almost here. I'm so excited and so nervous!!

Wow Cendrine! I am on the edge of my seat waiting for pictures. I think I have a sort of unique "decorating sense" too. I am not sure too many people would like it but I love it and I can not wait to see what you have been describing. Your life is changing by the minute!!!

Kim-I am with both of yall. I have very few workout clothes that I would wear out and not to mention that some of them have been sweated in too many times:p. I am super excited for us to get the real deal stories behind the scenes of a road trip. It has always seemed like a secret club and now through you we are gonna have that six degrees of Kevin Bacon separation. ! :D:D:cool:

I am very excited to be able to be able to be included in yalls adventures of late. Sorry I have been a scattered poster...But I know yall know how that it.

Thank goodness things are quieting down around here. I am hoping for an uneventful week. We had a nice quiet Easter. My family all came on Saturday. My mom was only here long enough to eat and it seemed like my older brother and sister kind of have their blinders on when it comes to her recent relapse. They just did not get why she was leaving. She is in a pretty bad place mentally and I am hoping they realize that this just might be all we are going to get so they are going to have to come to terms with that. I think we all need to talk about it but in my family we seem to just let the elephant sit in the room and nobody says..."hey there's an elephant in the room!" :rolleyes:

Hope you are all having wonderful weather!
TTYS

oh, Kim, how sad! It's so bittersweet to me, every year! Someone said it this way once, when you have kids, the days last forever and the years slip by when you blink...

I don't have much to share right now, except that I think I'm ready to get back on the wagon, I think the stress has calmed down for now, now that I know we have the house and I can't exactly live out of boxes, so more packing just won't do at the moment.... lol

But here's your long awaited link to see the house! I hope it works!

13969 SW Leah Terrace, Tigard, OR 97224 | Obeo Virtual Tour

Hi Everyone! I see I have lots to catch up on! I have been so busy and hope later today I can go back and read the posts. I'm just finishing my final papers all due tomorrow and then finals next week.

I just happened to think that Kim is leaving to go on roadtrip???? So wanted to wish you a FANTASTIC TIME!!!!

Cendrine - that house is gorgeous!

Also, I have not lost any weight yet. I've been too stressed out between these three classes and having to look for a job. Stress is killing me! LOL!

I will be back later and read all the posts and get caught up. Hope you are all well!

OMG Cendrine! I absolutely love the house! Every room is so unique, with archways and built in bookcases, etc. The landscaping is wonderful! So what all comes with the house will they leave the curtains, or the paintings??? They have done a beautiful job with the decorating! I sure hope you everything goes well for you!

Thanks for the well wishes for the road trip. 2 more sleeps! Or really 1 and a half. My flight leaves my city at 5:15 so should be at the airport at least one hour before and it's a long drive so will leave the house at 3:30 am! (It's like Rachael time) then 2 planes and one bus drive before lunch!. Then 2 Cathe workouts and a dinner reception before the day is done! It's gong to be a long but exciting day!!!

Kim, how exciting, it's really happening! I hope you can sleep on the plane to make up for the crazy morning time! Take lots of pics!

I am excited that you guys love the house too! I agree, it is unique and they have done a really beautiful job on all of it! Most of the curtains have been left behind, and those they took still have the rods in place so all I have to do is find something to hang... lol Also, most of the windows have blinds on them too, so that is a very nice bonus as well. They left the gazebo and two benches in the back yard, plus a lot of storage shelves in the garage. They also left some of the things like the hooks over the fire place that had the lanterns on them and things like that. In the bonus room they left a wall mounted tv/dvd player and a desk as well. They did take the wall size tapestries off the walls, but there are a few walls that have mural paintings on them that stay, of course.
I'm looking at desks for the school room, bar stools for the kitchen counter area and possibly some patio furniture, the rest will have to be one room at a time, gradually...:rolleyes:

We have narrowed down our move out date to the last week of May... so suddenly, everything is getting very packed in our schedule... Several people coming over to give estimates on various things and a realtor friend is walking through the house with me friday to help give ideas of what to do to get the house ready for sale.

Jo, you are so close to finishing, you can taste it! Hey, was wondering, doesn't your mom live in Oregon? What area? Whether we next meet up in Oregon or Seattle, we need to go out and celebrate you finishing with a bang!
Oh, and once you get time to read all the posts, you'll see you are in good company as far as our weight loss journey goes. I have fallen off but am really trying to get back on now. Stress is an unkind thing for sure!

Okay, I read through all the posts plus the ones I missed from last month. :D But I still don't have time to post much. Papers are finished so am now studying for finals....just a couple more days!

Kim, I hope you are having a fantabulous time!!! I would love for all of us to meet up at a RT!

Cendrine OMG that is a gorgeous house!!! Tigard is a nice area. It's on the south side of Portland and it's on the way to my moms. My mom is about 35 miles south of you. I googled it and it's 199.41 miles from my house to yours! ;) So did DH get a new job or transfer?

Rachel, you are wonderful to be so supportive of your mom like that! I can imagine how difficult this is for you and wanting her to be healthy. So sorry about FIL and the other lady. WOW you've had lots to deal with. Also I think it's great you love yoga. It's kind of like me and spinning or Kim and running. We all have other exercises we like and don't feel bad for finding something you really connect with. It also sounds like yoga is a good mental therapy for you. I'm glad you're enjoying it.

Okay, GF had kidney removed last week and she's okay. I've talked to her several times.

I'm anxious to get working out consistently again but the truth is until school is over I probably won't. Speaking of which...I got to get to reading!

Have a great weekend everyone!

Rachel, it just dawned on me that I didn't comment on achieving the backbend!!! That is awesome!!! That's really a sign of how far you've come with yoga! You're a pretzel now! LOL!

Cendrine, though I know you haven't always lived in warm sunny weather, so being in the northwest won't be a shock to you. But I was thinking about you when I ran to the store. It's 58 out and sunny, and everyone is out in shorts and flipflops! LOL!

Kim, you must be having dinner about now and having the time of your life! I can't wait to hear about it!

Having a great time. I got to sit with Cathe both nights at supper! Will fill you all in when I have a chance

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.