Stretching workouts

Stacy

Cathlete
I need to work much harder on my flexibility as I age. I'm looking for well rounded stretching routines that are anywhere from 30-60 minutes in length. I'd prefer something with an outdoor setting and I'd rather not do streaming. Dvds or even better, something free on youtube.

I do NOT want yoga routines b/c I'm not looking for a series of poses. I'm not looking for meditation. I also want just stretching, not a "multi task" workout where you are "toning" or working on strength at the same time. I like the stretch from P90X but would love it if it was outdoors or had a pretty set. I have Bendy Body but that one is a bit too advanced for me. I did one of Jessica Smith's 30 minute stretches and enjoyed it, but most of hers are about 10 minutes and I'm looking for something longer. I'm not one to string a bunch of them together. I'm more of a go in and get it done kind of person.

Thanks for your help.

You might like Karen Voight's Pure and Simple Stretch, Essentrics Flexibility workout for Athletes, Jill Miller's Post Athletic Stretch, the Lastics programs,
Ki Hara or Allison Wardell's StretchIt TV. Been awhile since I've done the Essentrics one, but the rest are all excellent routines.
I have heard great things about Scott Cole's stretching DVDs, although have not tried them out quite yet. I love stretching and have always needed it!

Some of the best lower body & hip stretching exercises I have come across is searching on youtube for 'martial arts stretch', 'taekwando stretching' etc. (just filter for the longer ones) I'd taken some martial arts instruction some years back and recall the very thorough (and progressive) stretching regimens from these types of practices. There is really nothing else like it. Chi Kung practice of course is probably one the best practices around you will find for slow dynamic stretching and basic mobility, if that is something you may be interested in. There is a learning curve FYI. ;)

I think Elsie hit the nail on the head!! I have found some of the best stretches are from my Kickbox workouts. I'm not sure WHY they are different but they work really well for me. I would like to get into yoga (I have about a dozen DVD's) but just don't have the attention span for it yet. I too have realized I need more stretching. I wouldn't mind 10-20 minute segments. Have maybe 4 or 5 on a dvd. Is that asking for too much?

I think Elsie hit the nail on the head!! I have found some of the best stretches are from my Kickbox workouts. I'm not sure WHY they are different but they work really well for me. I would like to get into yoga (I have about a dozen DVD's) but just don't have the attention span for it yet. I too have realized I need more stretching. I wouldn't mind 10-20 minute segments. Have maybe 4 or 5 on a dvd. Is that asking for too much?

Same here:)
I love dynamic stretches ---great hip opener for me:)

I completely agree with Stacy. I too am on the lookout for pure stretch routines (not poses) that will actually help me to develop my flexibility and help me with relaxation in a productive way. 5 min. post-workout stretches are great when working to avoid injury and restore muscles to their pre-workout state. But sometimes I need and want more so that I can make progress. Just as we seek and benefit from making gains in our strength, endurance and cardio-respiratory fitness levels, I think we should seek and will benefit from making gains in our flexibility. Even though the American Academy of Orthopedic Surgeons recommends a balance between cardio, strength and flexibility, the flexibility part of the equation is soooo often undervalued!

Thanks so much Elsie for your fabulous suggestions! :) :) I checked out your excellent ideas and I have already ordered the lastics dvd and book. Wow! Can't wait till it arrives! It seems to get into how to move your flexibility skills forward - so often our routines do not results in measurable improvements. Donna Flagg, the instructor, emphasizes form - going from the inside-out in terms of focusing on what the muscles are doing and feeling - not holding the stretch for a predetermined number of seconds. Makes sense! I am also going to start doing some of the Essentrics routines that are on youtube when I want a 15 min. routine. Thanks again for the post!:D

So appreciate the positive support from fellow Catheletes. Thanks to you all. ;)

Elsie- me too on the tilted uterus (found out 22 years ago with my first pregnancy!) I've been doing a Dean Somerset semi-customised programme, and I'm finally seeing an improvement. Lots and lots of unusual core work and rom stuff. I know that if I don't work at this stuff now, I'll suffer With an aching back in later life.
Mark Lauren's mobility Rx is my favourite of his- very different to anything else I have.

Elsie- me too on the tilted uterus (found out 22 years ago with my first pregnancy!) I've been doing a Dean Somerset semi-customised programme, and I'm finally seeing an improvement. Lots and lots of unusual core work and rom stuff. I know that if I don't work at this stuff now, I'll suffer With an aching back in later life.
Mark Lauren's mobility Rx is my favourite of his- very different to anything else I have.

I do NOT want yoga routines b/c I'm not looking for a series of poses. I'm not looking for meditation. I also want just stretching, not a "multi task" workout where you are "toning" or working on strength at the same time.

I read this above and thought oh --- this is really a demand/selective i should say! (kidding/joking:):)). It is funny you mentioned this above.
You have actually taken words out of my mouth! I too do not want anything involving meditation and/or toning at the same time.

My hips are already off balance & I have a tilted pelvis/uterus, so hip/pelvic focus is very important.

Elsie, how did you find out about your imbalance?
Loving this thread --- Thanks for sharing:)

Last edited:
One thing I've discovered about yoga is that if it's a stretch, yoga claims it and gives it a funny name. :) I like yoga a lot but don't do all the arm balances, etc., but love the one-legged balancing poses. . Then I had some foot problems and had to lay off those. So I put away all my DVDs and pulled the slower, stretchier moves from what I'd learned. What I came up with was a series of long, lovely stretches designed just for ME because I did what my body was asking for. I've got this routine memorized, and it never fails to loosen me up. Ahhh.

My apologies - I know this isn't what you're asking for. I don't have any specific DVD recommendations, but just remember - if your body feels a need, then lean into it. Pause the DVD, hold the stretch, whatever. Honestly, I wish I could stay in shape just by stretching. :)

Yes, yoga can be stretching. There are many different types and focuses for yoga. A lot of people today try to turn it into a cardio or strength workout. But originally, it evolved for flexibility and meditation. Think of pigeon pose for the hips, triangle pose for the hamstrings ... oh, lots nad lots of yoga poses are very stretchy.

Just like Justine, Nathalie, it was noticed at the Ob-Gyn. Most of me is lopsided as I have scoliosis. ;) I find I need to 'lengthen' posterior muscles more on one side and anterior and lateral more on the other.

Wish you both Justine and you more improvement dealing with this imbalance.:)

It is incredible how spine issue affect so many other part of our body.
scoliosis --- Hip girdl and may be more...:(

Take care ladies and stay strong:)

Yes, yoga can be stretching. There are many different types and focuses for yoga. A lot of people today try to turn it into a cardio or strength workout. But originally, it evolved for flexibility and meditation. Think of pigeon pose for the hips, triangle pose for the hamstrings ... oh, lots nad lots of yoga poses are very stretchy.

Without stepping on anyone stalking toes, I agree with highlighted above.

Hi, does anyone recommend Cathe's stretching video? I have a torn hamstring and my movements are very limited thanks to anyone with a reply to me

Karen

Here below is cathe's stretch max. Please do what your hamstring can take at this point.

There is also total body stretching.

All the best.

Last edited:

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.