stress and workouts??

shobbsie

Cathlete
HELP!! I'm following the January rotation and I'm dying. After PLB, then IMAX1, I can barely walk. I can't even think of BC today!!
I'm having trouble walking up stairs todayx(
I'm under a lot of stress currently. My sons reserve unit is being deployed to Iraq( he left Saturday but is still in the states for a couple of weeks, but I won't get to see him before he leaves). The psychologist briefed the families on how important exercise, sleep and healthy eating are in dealing with stress. Maybe I should cut down on the intensity? I will be so disappointed in myself if I don't do this rotation as is, but the thought of Boot Camp today makes me cringe. I'll probably end up taking a rest day, but then beat myself up for it. I've never had this problem before. Do you all think this is stress? I don't understand why my body is responding with such severe DOMS!
Should I just push through this?

Thanks,
Sharron

Hi Sharron,
If it were me i would take a rest day ,it sounds like your body is asking for one,and yes stress can be very tough on your body .I don't know if it can specificly cause dom's but it can surpress your immune system making it harder for the muscle to repair itself.If you really feel like you have to do something,try yoga or pilates or just turn on some nice soothing music and take your time and do some good stretches,but certainly dont beat yourself up about it,be kind to yourself! Also from the bottom of my heart i want to say Thankyou to your son and for your family's sacrifice,you are all in my prayers and have my sincerest gratitude.
Mrsscififanec

Well, in my experience the harder the workout the greater the stress relief. But that's just me--if dreading a workout is stressing you out even more than maybe you should reduce intensity or perhaps sub another workout? Remember it's OK if you change your rotation a little, as long as you're doing something than you should feel good about yourself (remember you're amongst like 5% of the population just in being a regular exerciser!).

Sharron:

Please accept my sympathy for your current situation. Your Son, and your entire family, are doing all of us and our country a great service.

I'm feeling the rotation like crazy, but I just got some of these workouts and it's the first or second time through for me. But the order is INTENSE!

My advice would be to listen to your body. I've been doing Yoga after the workouts to help lengthen out my muscles, and I think it helps. And I KNOW that the yoga helps me so, so, much with my stress--which incidentally is nothing like yours. But the yoga mind-set and the completely different way of exercising has helped me tremendously. Check with Susan, a.k.a. Soosan, for advice--she's great! I've loved her suggestions.

I know what you mean about beating yourself up if you don't complete the rotation, but cut yourself some slack and realize what you and your body are going through right now.

Good luck, and we're all pulling for you!

Carol F

I have been right where you are (BF was deployed for 14 months in Iraq) and it ain't easy. HUGS to you and your family and tell your son that I pracy for his safe return. He's a hero!

You need the workout to releave your stress but you are emotional and may need the rest too. You may not even feel like you are having a tough time with your son's situation but it will impact you just because of the cirumstances. It's stressful, plain and simple.

I think that you can either take a rest day (make that workout up later, that's all), take it down a notch during your workouts for a week or so or just do your own thing for another two weeks and then start the January rotation over!

Good Luck :)
Christine

Why don't you try doing a short premix from Bootcamp. Then another time when you want to just do the rest. That way you won't feel like you didn't stick to the rotation, you still get in a workout, and it will help take your mind off things for a while.

My thought and prayers are with your family and please know that your son is greatly appreciated for what he is doing for all of us.

Hugs, Wendy

Hi, Sharron,
That's how I felt today, too (stressed from other things and a bit tired from the rotation), and I did 40 minutes of Bootcamp today. It did help me calm down a bit, just knowing I did it. I'm going to bed early- still a bit sore, but right where I need to be sore. I agree that doing them in this kind of intense rotation is much more challenging than doing whatever rotation I feel like doing. If you have High Step Circuit or something on the Intermediate level in a similar style, you might sub that as well. I thought about doing that one.
Best wishes to you and your family and thank you!
Amy

Edited to add: sometimes stress interferes with proper breathing. If you are not breathing as you should be, that could increase your DOMS. You might just self-check over the next few days. I find that a light workout, even when it hurts to go upstairs, actually helps the DOMS.

Thank you all for your kind words and support!
Thought I'd let you all know that I decided on doing High Step Circuit. I wanted to work out, but lower the intensity and impact for today. I am looking forward to trying MIC tomorrow. I haven't done it yet but I have previewed it. I just got Rhythmic Step + and Cardio Kicks/Circuit Max DVD's yesterday. After I got home today I found my second wind somewhat.

Christine- so happy your boyfriend is back. I guess I'll just get through this one day at a time. How did you do it? I'm already not watching the news as much and try to stay busy. He's at Camp LeJuene right now, due to go over in a few weeks.

Carol- What yoga workouts would you suggest? I only have Firm Power Yoga..I've done it a couple of times. I am looking to expand my collection and try new things.

Amy- You may have hit upon something with the breathing. I saw my son off at the airport on Saturday morning. After he boarded I started crying so hard I started to hyper-ventilate. A couple of times since then when I think about what is about to happen, I get very short of breath. Sitting here thinking about this now, it is happening a little. I guess that would rob my muscles of oxygen. I'll tune into that much more.

Again, thanks so much for all of your comments and suggestions!

Sharron

Guess I hit reply in the wrong place? Look below my original post. I had some other questions for some of you. I've used other forums, but seem challenged on this one:+

Now I'll see where this reply ends up.
Sharron

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.