Stress and Weight

mamajoy

Hello all,

I am struggling right now with weight gain and stress and exercise intensity. Four months ago my family and I relocated across the world to a foreign country which brings with it a ton of stress as well as a change in food availability. Before we left I had been quite successful eating clean (mostly) and maintaining my weight consistently. However, after six weeks in our new country I had gained about 6lbs, due to stress, dietary changes, climate change and my over consumption of oreos. I am currently 5ft 2in and 119lbs.

I would like to lose those 6lbs (mostly cause my pants don't fit) but am having a hard time knowing how! The stress is still palpable, I feel it in my bones and breathing and its really hard to control eating when chocolate settles the soul and my normal foods are not available!

I have been doing RWH since they came out and am now feeling like I need a break from the intensity (my feet and knees hurt from working out on tile floors) but I am afraid to quit because of the intensity of stress I feel and I want to lose the weight.

So, essentially I am asking for advice on how to lose the weight (size) in the midst of high cortisol levels. What exercises are better to lower cortisol levels? Will I lose my gains by taking a week off exercise?

At this point I don't even have hot water to take a relaxing bath or shower to alleviate some of the tension, lol, and gaining weight has just added to the stress!

Any advice will be appreciated!

mamajoy:

where exactly have you moved to?

Several things occur to me.

1. 6 lbs really isn't much. Please try not to be hard on yourself for having a very normal reaction to a major change in your life! We all have times when the stress levels are through the roof and we self-medicate with wine, binge-watching TV, chocolate, and oreos This makes you pretty damn normal. We also all have times when our weight fluctuates: age, changes in body chemistry, stress, sickness, pregnancy, holidays, these can all lead to temporary weight loss or gain. It seems like a big deal right now simply because to you, it is another stress factor on top of all the recent life changes. Trick is to not let it become another stress factor: try to let it go. It is only a small, temporary gain while your mind and body adjust. Let them adjust.

2. what about this move is causing you stress? I have moved many times in my life, to foreign countries, across states, on my own and with husband and small children in tow, etc. I know it takes a little while to sort out living arrangements, working out transport, schools for kids, where the supermarkets are, how life is even lived in these other countries so unlike our own, and then, finally, trying to make a community for yourself. I know that this latter is the most difficult of all, even in a county like this one, as been my experience. It's not easy being the outsider. However, this experience, despite the stress it currently afford you, will also enable you to grow as an individual.

3. first I am going to suggest that your instinctive reaction to having lost some of the customary control over your life has been that you are trying to re-seize control again, only it is not happening and you feel lost. Is there any way in which you can, for a while, allow yourself to not be in total control? Trying to be in complete control, when it is not possible, only drives up the stress levels. It's like they say in AA meetings, but adapt the slogan for "stress" rather than drinking: learn to let go and not try to manage things in situations where control cannot be yours anyway, so stop beating your head against a brick wall. If you can adopt a degree of "acceptance" of the current status quo, you will feel more at ease both mentally and in your own skin. You will stop dive-bombing into the oreos! You can handle this. Also, you say you have moved with your family, so you don't need to absorb the stress of this change all on your own: lean into your partner to share the load.

4. For now, yes, please stop trying to keep up with your normal exercise routine as if nothing in your life had changed: it has changed and this change is enough stress for now, you don't need trying to shoe-horn the new experiences (in foreign country) into the format of an old life (in the USA) and the stress this will bring you. Let life settle down BEFORE trying to resume intense exercise. Now is not the time for RWH. And especially, you can't work out on a tile floor: you may end up with a stress-fracture or another injury. Please don't!

5. Food. Foreign countries. Exercise. OK, so, what we need here is really a mental adjustment rather than anything else, so you won't feel so over-whelmed. First of, there is food everywhere, the entire planet over, so try not to make this an issue. The availability of food cannot be the issue: the availability of US-type food probably is. Thing is, however, that there are few places on the planet where a steady diet of meal replacements, protein shakes, pizza and egg white omlettes constitutes normal eating, as it can here in the US. I'm not saying you practice (restricted) eating in this way, but if this type of eating is what you are used to, then it is time to go exploring in the cafes, restaurants, markets and supermarkets of this new country and find out how the locals eat and how they prepare it. There is healthy food al over the planet. Rather than seeing this as another stress source, look at this as part of the adventure you have actually been blessed to embark upon, for make no mistake, the opportunity to live abroad for a while and experience cultural difference (not as a tourist) is a rare and wonderful opportunity. Time to try new foods, new recipes, new experience and jazz up those taste buds!

As far as exercise is concerned, and the climate change, you have to adapt. You can't change the climate, you have to adapt to it. I have done the same many, many times. Back home in the UK I was a runner. When I moved to France and went out running, I was attacked in the street quite violently, so this taught me that I could not live my life abroad as I had lived it in the UK, and for my own safety, I found the local swimming pool and used the combination of the long walk to it and a mile swim while there as my daily exercise. I did the same when I lived in Spain. When I first moved to the US, to PA in August, it was 90 + and humid as hell, no way I could handle that and run the streets, so I had to change again and find a gym with air conditioning so I could at least be comfortable. Wherever you are, you have to adapt your exercise routine to the new circumstances. So, what is the climate like? Are there gyms? Is there a swimming pool? Are there woods nearby to walk safely in? What are the possibilities? At first, you need to go on a scouting mission: head out and walk around town/city and explore. First off, the walking IS exercise: it is my main form of exercise at the moment due to multiple injuries. I walk every day between 4-12 miles, no matter the weather unless it's a winter snow storm. So, use the fact of being somewhere new to get out, explore, walk. Leave intensity for now: just get out and about and walk. It is good for your stress levels, believe me. I suffer from depression and daily walking lifts my mood and sustains me.

Every country has its on culture of food, exercise, public spaces, ways of making community. Are there any ex-pats along with you? If so, drag them out with you as you go exploring. See what you can find that will satisfy what you need: it won't be the same as back home, but in its own, different way, it will help satisfy the needs you have. Promise.

Come back and tell me what you find and we can devise ways to help you adapt, and please tell us where you are in case somebody on the forums has experience of living there and can contribute local knowledge.

I wish you well Most of all I wish you the ability to embrace this experience and all the wisdom and opportunities it can afford you.

Clare

Mamajoy, I'm sorry to hear about your stress. Moving is one of the most stressful activities in life. It's ok to take some time off and nurture yourself a bit. Can you have a cup of tea? Can you take naps? Do you have an yoga/stretching tapes? Do you like to read? Can your husband help you have some time to yourself? I like what Clare said about taking walks and getting control of your life again. Walking is great exercise and the getting out in the fresh air and exploring your new surroundings might be nice.

Beth

I have to say that I find it an inspiration how supportive and friendly everyone here on these forums is. We all don't agree on everything all the time, but I love everyones point of views. I look forward everyday reading and communicating with people from around the world. And on sad days, it makes me feel better, which in turn, makes me want to workout and then that makes me feel even better. I don't work and have no family or friends around, so all I have are my husband, my dogs, and everyone here to give me hope and inspiration that I can do anything everyday. Thank you to everyone here.

Hi mamajoy,
Yes I've been there too. But it was when I was younger and decided I needed an adventure so off I went to work in Saudi Arabia of all places! So totally not me, as I'm quite the introvert, never flew anywhere by myself prior to this, and here I was moving across the world LOL! I can relate to the stress you are under and even though I chose to move there, it was stressful nonetheless. New country with it's own "rules" we had to abide by or face deportation, totally different culture and language. I was lucky though as I was single and the hospital staff all lived on the compound so I had roommates - another change after living alone! But we were all in the same boat and the ex-pats all stick together so the offers to go sightseeing and shopping and whatever were always there.
It doesn't sound like you are working but are there volunteer opportunities in order to meet people who can perhaps provide some support and a focus other than food for comfort? Do you have children with you and possibly others parents in the same boat to talk to. Maybe some yoga/ meditation to try bring down the stress level? My compound had a gym on it but I also had to get accustomed to running outside at weird hours as it was hot hot hot during the day out in that desert! I worked shifts so running around the compound at night wasn't an issue and it was safe within those walls - just not outside the area. Once I settled in, which probably took 3 months, I started using some of my workout DVD's but found that going to the gym was just easier as all the equipment was there.
As for food I swear I lived on peanut butter sandwiches for the 1st few months LOL! I too had to get used to middle eastern dishes but after awhile it really grew on me and i still eat some of those foods even though I'm back in the western world.
As Clare said you have to try and let go of the need to control everything and just let it fall into place.
Take care,
Jamie

Last edited:
Oh my gosh! I woke up this morning to all these replies, thank you so much! What an encouragement. I moved to Sumatra, right on the equator, with my four kids and husband, and while I actually grew up as a kid in Asia and traveling, it is an entirely different animal when you are the responsible party, lol.

A lot of the stress for me is learning to live in the new environment with all the new stimulus. Everything is different but maintaining my workout gave me some stability in the midst of it all but I think it is beginning to take a toll on my body and mental state. I took a week off when we moved but the second we got our own place I started up again, I haven't taken more then a week off of working out in five years and it's a bit scary!

Currently I am in language study and I homeschool. I did find a gym inside of a hotel that I LOVE and I can walk there a few times a week (they have HOT showers, holy crap, they are wonderful) but walking is difficult because we are in a rain forest climate (humid and hot), I have to wear long sleeves and pants for decencies sake and they have no sidewalks. It's not as scary as it was when we first arrived but it is still not a joy walk :) I talked with my husband last night about finding some foam mats to put on top of the tile so the impact is not so harsh on my feet, I know that will help a little.

Food has been the hardest for me. They don't have whole wheat flour or whole wheat bread! My favorite of all foods....just gone, lol. I decided one day to make lasagna, because I found some lasagna noodles, and when I poured the box of noodles into the pot of boiling water a load of bugs came out with it, they had actually burrowed into the noodles! Needless to say I cried a little and then my husband spent the next two hours making HOMEMADE lasagna noodles for me. It was a late dinner, but it was the best tasting lasagna ever!

The first time I got lettuce I found a leech like slug hanging out in it.....on the plus side I suppose there aren't any pesticides being used....but, gross! I still haven't recovered from that and I plan to grow my own lettuce so I can have salads again :)

I will say that their pineapples, mangos and bananas are to die for!

I love this place, it is an incredible place to live and I want to live here and succeed here. Working out is such a huge part of how I cope with life and stress and honestly, I just love it, and I am scared resting because I don't want to lose control of myself and find I am no longer recognizable.

What are some good yoga workouts? Ones I can either download or stream?

Hi mamajoy,
First, let me say that I find your story really inspirational. I admire your strength in moving to a new country/culture with your husband and four children. That's a huge shift and a huge responsibility. I know sometimes it's hard to see such a thing in oneself, but you're strong and admirable -- don't forget that!
I also know that feeling lousy in one's own body is the pits, even if, ultimately, the reality of it (+6 lbs) isn't that bad. There's a phrase in the Girls Gone Strong book of tips, it's something like, 'exercise because you love your body, not because you hate it'. I'm not saying you hate your body -- I just really love this phrase, and it resonates with me, so I wanted to share.
Yoga has been a great way for me to love my body and show it kindness recently. I have been using the streaming service from Udaya (udaya.com), and I love it. There are classes of all kinds, lengths, difficulty levels, etc. Even some guided meditations. I highly recommend it.
Let us know how things work out for you.
Sending warm wishes across the world, from one mama to another,
Roz

Mamajoy, you are living an adventure and best of all, it's with your family. I am blown away with all of the wonderful supporting comments on this thread. Life certainly can be scary at times, and change is constant after all, isn't it? It seems to me that you are a most courageous and creative woman. DO NOT allow fear to invade your space.

Blessings to you and your family.

Rosa

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.