Strength Training

tvan_horn

Cathlete
I JUST found out that I am pg. I have been working out with Cathe for 8 years, but I don't remember being so confused with my first pregnancy 5 yrs ago.

As far as cardio goes, I am pretty clear on what modifications I need to make.

Where I am confused is with strength training. I wasn't in this good of shape or lifting this heavy the last time I got pregnant. So, how heavy is too heavy? I pretty much do endurance-based strength work. Pretty much, ME, MM and LL. For all of these I start with a 50 lb bar for squats and on most lower body work lift about 10 lbs heavier than Cathe.

Should I go ahead and decrease my weights or just wait until I am further into the pregnancy and modify as needed.

Thanks Ladies!

Tina

Tina, You sound a lot like me. I'm on my second pregnancy after six years, and seem more confused than ever. I just "went with things" the fist time. I exercised, but not with Cathe.

I lowered my weights for legs around my second month or so. I went from a 40 lb. bb to 20 and now 15lb. My upper body hasn't changed a whole lot. Pullovers I've dropped weight, but not so much with bis/tris/shouders.

Also, around month two (or there about), I used my weight bench at a slight incline so the baby would still get its oxygen.

Once I started to show a bit, push-ups became uncomfortable, so I substitute with bench presses. I have dropped my weight with these, since I used to really push myself hard with a heavy bb, now I'll do a set using moderate weight. It's just not a good idea to strain yourself.

This morning I did Muscle Max and did back rows with 30 lbs and found that tough, so I had to lower. Plus, my ROM is a lot shorter now! hahaha

Susan C.M.
[link=http://lilypie.com][img noborder]http://bd.lilypie.com/2BB3m5.png[/img][/link]

Susan,

Thanks for the input! I don't understand why I am so confused. My first pregnancy seems like it was forever ago and now I have to re-educate myself.

Way to go on staying with the workouts. That is so inspiring!

Best Wishes,

Tina

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.