Strength training/weights program

Jdnara

what kind of strength based program would you recommend that has minimal cardio but a decent amount of lifting? Some type of 4 day split routine perhaps?

I started Cathe xtrain this week but it seems to be more of a cardio and strength-endurance workout (ie lifting 16 reps)

I'm only able to eat about 1600-1800 calories a day (for a few months) so I don't really want to do too much cardio - just enough to keep me active

(For context: I use to average about 2200 calories so I'm in enough of a deficit now without adding a ton of cardio)

I understand I won't make any strength gains now but I would like to keep lifting cause it makes me happy

I'm sure I could cut and paste some Cathe workouts together but "ain't nobody got time for that".

any suggestions on a program? I have the ondemand subscription so I can do any program by Cathe!!

what kind of strength based program would you recommend that has minimal cardio but a decent amount of lifting? Some type of 4 day split routine perhaps?

I started Cathe xtrain this week but it seems to be more of a cardio and strength-endurance workout (ie lifting 16 reps)

I'm only able to eat about 1600-1800 calories a day (for a few months) so I don't really want to do too much cardio - just enough to keep me active

(For context: I use to average about 2200 calories so I'm in enough of a deficit now without adding a ton of cardio)

I understand I won't make any strength gains now but I would like to keep lifting cause it makes me happy
I'm sure I could cut and paste some Cathe workouts together but "ain't nobody got time for that".
any suggestions on a program? I have the ondemand subscription so I can do any program by Cathe!!

Cathe's 4day split may be what you are looking for.
if you do not like step, you sub with 30 minutes Hiit low or high impact.

HTH

Butts and Guts is a workout that is technically weight-training-based, but it definitely gets my heart rate into the cardio zone. So I'd count that one, myself. :) The others that come to mind:

Cardio and Weights
Great Glutes
Legs and Glutes
AfterBurn
Flex Train
Circuit Blast
Circuit Max
Low Impact Circuit
Body Fusion
If you just want something really quick, the Leg Conditioning Drills in her Kick Max DVD are great- I think that only lasts 20 minutes. Athletic Training
High Step Training
High Step Challenge
Body Max 2, taking out the step aerobics segment
XTrain Legs- I definitely get a cardio effect from this one, even though it's a weightlifting workout with some matwork, too.
Ripped with HiiT- Circuit Upper Body
Ripped with HiiT- Circuit Lower Body
Hardcore Extreme; this one would require some pre-programming in order to focus more on the weights portions you'd prefer
Drill Max- maybe using a shorter premix, though. Doing the whole thing would make me awfully hungry, since it's 70 minutes long or so. :D
Travel Fit
Lower Body Blast
Leaner Legs (from Cross Train Express, a set that may be great for what you're looking into)

I think you're looking only for Cathe routines, since you mentioned On Demand. However, if you don't mind looking at non-Cathe titles, there's several exercise DVDs from The FIRM (which are admittedly older workouts) which would fit the bill. There are YouTube excerpts of each one, so you can get an idea of what they're like.

FIRM Cardio (don't believe the title; it only has three relatively short cardio bursts, two of which use a regular step, and they're about four minutes each), 60 mins.
FIRM Strength (two or three short cardio bursts- no stepping in that one) is the companion video to the one I just mentioned. The first uses alternating upper and lower body weight work to keep the heart rate up a bit more. The latter workout focuses several exercises on the legs or the upper body, kind of in a superset or tri-set fashion., also 60 mins.
Upper Body Split and Lower Body Split, designed to be used together, each run around 60 to 70 minutes. I believe those workouts are programmable, so you could do shorter routines if desired. They each have a few cardio routines thrown in, but they're mostly heavy on the weight-training. Here's some other titles that would fit what you're looking for:
Total Body Shaping Mix, 67 mins.
Maximum Body Sculpting (also may be called Maximum Body Shaping), 48 mins.
Body Sculpting Basics (This one was made in 1985- so just a heads up that it looks dated. That said, with heavy enough weights it's KILLER and works really well!), 60 mins.
Complete Aerobic Weight-Training (filmed in 1992, Jayne Poteet leads), 53 mins.
Abs, Hips, and Thighs Sculpting (made in 1991, LaReine Chabut leads; there's only three short step aerobics sets before it moves on to a mostly matwork routine), 46 mins. or so
Cardio Sculpt, (released in 2002 with Allie Del Rio leading, and there's only three short cardio routines, the rest is weightlifting or matwork), 60 mins.
Complete Aerobics and Weight-Training (I wish this had a different name...Emily Welsh leads; I think it was a 2003 release; this one really focuses on weight-training, although I have to heavy up WAY more than the instructors do- they went far too light, IMHO), 60 mins.

I hope these suggestions might help. Have a good weekend. :)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.