strained hip flexor?

Michele S

Cathlete
I am/was following Cathe's January rotation and did Step Blast for the first time in a long time last week. Towards the end I noticed that my right hip flexor was a little achy, but didn't think much of it and since I was in "the challenge," I kept going and took two Advil at the end.

Since then, it has really been achy, but not painful at all. If I put all my weight on my right leg, it has a slight tenderness feeling at the hip flexor and if I press on it while sitting I can feel it.

I haven't done any lower body work since then, but am wondering how long it will take to go away. Anyone have any input on this??? I'm starting to get antsy with not working out!

TIA!

I can totally relate to what you're going through. Unfortunately the strain is due to overuse and if you don't do something at the moment it can get worse. My hip flexors were killing me especially at night. I even had to wake up sometimes and do some stretches. Sometimes I even woke up to put a heat pad too. It's not just due to Cathe because I tried other alternatives of exercise and my hip flexors were strained all the time. Not even my weekly practice of yoga helped. There are several things I've tried, but I recently started making some changes that finally are making a difference.

1) I take a rest day every time I do leg work. Since I work my legs pretty hard and then I add some cardio I just have to do this.

2) Take 4 days of rest every 6-8 weeks. Rest doesn't mean inactivity though. But no weights and no high intensity cardio.

3) On Jan 12 (just a couple of days ago) I started taking Move Free Advanced (2 Tablets once a day with breakfast). That's a supplement for my joints. I'm 28, but since I work out like a maniac and my joints are starting to bother me, my doctor told me it couldn't hurt to try them, but since I'm still "young" he told me to take them once a day instead of twice a day.

4) Yoga + Stretch Max segment 3 (once a week)

That's basically it at the moment. I hope this helps.

Edited to add: I haven't done (or seen) the rotation you followed, but I know that sometimes rotations with tons of step and/or kickboxing take a toll on my hip flexors. I think in your case it might be overuse, but if it's really bothersome you should see a doctor just to be safe. Take care. :)

Thanks, Rose, for the info. I think I'm going to follow your advice!

I think what's happened in my instance is that I'm doing a lot more cardio following Cathe's rotation than I would do on my own. I'm not a huge cardio lover, and I think my body isn't used to it! The day before Step Blast was an interval run and I think the combo of the two has left me hurting!

Where can I find the Move Free Advanced?

> Where can I find the Move Free Advanced?

I got mine for a really good price at Costco. There was another lady in here that was taking a joint supplement due to a knee injury and she is 29. I can't recall who it was though. If it's possible you should always get the ok from your doctor first.

Another thing I wanted to add was that if I get soreness on my hip flexors even if a rest day is not scheduled I take it. It's my body's way to tell me to slow down.

Rose -

I've noticed since having my third baby in May that my joints are really acting up, especially my knees. Some days I feel like I'm 37 going on 90! I've had a hard time keeping up with rotations for that reason - some weeks I need more rest days than just one!

I'm going to look for the Move Free Advanced the next time I'm in BJ's. Maybe they'll have it.

Thanks again!

I went to bjs.com and did a search for Move Free Advanced and I couldn't find anything. costco.com and has them online, but I think you need to be a member to get them. I also went to samsclub.com and they have them but at the store not online. You can also buy Move Free Advanced at Walgreens and other places. Costco just has a better price. If you end up getting them, you should probably start doing the loading phase (I skipped it) where you take 2 tablets twice a day the first 14 days and after the loading phase you start taking them only once a day.

I just read about your new baby and I checked out the bottle of Move Free and it says: "If pregnant, lactating, or on prescribed medication, consult your physician before using." Please do that if one of those applies to you. Congratulations on your new baby. :)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.