Stop working out for 4 weeks.

chiquita

Hello ladies! Is it normal for your heart rate to go above your maximum heart rate when you all of sudden stop working out for 5 weeks and trying to get back into my workouts? I'm 52 years old and have been working out 6 days a week for over 25 years. I stop working out all of sudden do to a health scare. I'm feeling better now and trying to get back into it, but notice my heart rate will go above my maximum heart rate when attempting to do beginner/intermediate workouts. Is that normal? I feel like I have never worked out in my life!

Hi & welcome!

First, be sure you have your primary care provider's recommendations to restart exercise. It is normal for one's resting heart rate to decrease with regular exercise and to increase with sedentary living (barring any medications that may affect it) & this will affect maximum heart rates. When one is deconditioned, it makes sense your heart rate may climb quicker and higher with exertion & exceed your calculated maximum heart rate. Furthermore, "maximum heart rate" formulas/equations are guides, not absolutes. I have found the various equations are not very accurate for me as I have entered my senior years. So I adjust my cardio ranges based upon my perceived exertion, not any particular formula. So if you are out of breath, can't talk, or feel light headed or faint or weak, then slow things down. If your heart rate, breathing or perceived exertion doesn't get better with time, then be sure to see your primary care provider again.

HTH, Deb

Chiquita, it is very normal for your heart rate to work harder when you've stopped exercising for 5 weeks. It happened to me also due to health reasons, but I bounced back much quicker, just keep at it and don't over exert yourself and listen to your body instead of looking at the heart rate numbers for now. Don't let it discourage you either, at least you are back to your exercise routine, YAY!!!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.