Stomach pain/nausea after cardio

tierney

I get major stomach pain and nausea after doing a cardio workout that is advanced for my current level. I also get mild cold chills alternated with feelings that my body is overheating. My resting pulse is higher than normal. The next day I feel fine. As do the same workout again and again, the pain goes away.

This happened the first time that I did MIC and Interval Max, and when I first started running. Yesterday, it happened again when I did running speedwork for the first time. I am used to doing MIC all the way through, and I have been running regularly for a year, doing 7-11 miles each run, but this speedwork was advanced for me.

Does anyone else experience this? What does this mean? It is unhealthy to push myself to this point? What can I do when it happens?

Makes me nervous!!

Your post made me a bit apprehensive, it sounds like you are pushing too hard. Do you live in a hot climate? Is there any way you can blow a fan on yourself, or splash some cold water on your face/arms/etc.? The chills and nausea make it sound as if you are experiencing heat exhaustion or one of those "summer time" heat problems. I hope a medical person or Cathe can help, but to me it sounds like you are pushing too hard and should take it easy until you know for sure what's going on. Sorry if this sounds negative, I don't mean to come off preachy, but it sounds kind of serious. Good luck!
happy.gif

How long before you exercise

do you eat? Do you hydrate really well? It sound like you're fit if you can do 7 to 11 miles. You may be overdoing it. In which case, back off. You know the rule about never adding more than 10% additional mileage per week? Once, I became dehydrated while running and experienced the sort of chills you described when I overheated. ( live in Tucson) If you eat a large meal too soon before working out, your body can be torn between the digestion and the exertion and that can cause nausea. If it is simply overexertion, you might try increasing more gradually. Overdoing it can be very dangerous, so listen to your body and take it easy on yourself!!!! No pain, no gain is a myth!

feeling sick

Also, does your body perspire? If you don't perspire that well, it's easier for you to overheat.

Me too...

I have experienced this too - it is a very uncomfortable feeling. It usually happens when I am run-down/stressed and I work out. For *me*, it usually means I am pushing myself too hard. I think when you try a new workout, it is more stressful on your body than when you become a bit more aclimatized (sp?) to it. What I would try, is not throwing myself completely into the workout the first time (even if it doesn't seem as hard as many other workouts you do). Maybe easing yourself into a new routine will make you feel better. Hope this helps a little!

Cheers,
Jessica J.

excercise discomfort

hi, i read your post. you gave some good advice. i think the word you were looking for was "acclimated"

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.