Step workouts

Yvanna

Cathlete
Hi everyone,

Do you consider step to be a weight bearing exercise?

Would you or do you do step on consecutive days - or is it better to alternate?

I know that it is best to work muscle groups every other day...but given that step also helps build up the calves and thighs... I was wondering if it was ok to do it every day - or if a different cardio workout would be better.

Currently - I do the Body Fusion - (or KV's circuit training dvd) on Tuesday - Wed I will do either the Basic Step - or Kathy Smith's Step workout (without weight segment) plus my pilates class...then Thurs I will do a circuit again... Sat morning I just pick one out of the bunch...usually a step workout - and Sunday - pilates only.

Step is my cardio of choice...but if I could get better results by alternating with another cardio workout - I will give it a whirl!

Thanks in advance.

Yve

Step is not considered a weight work out but it is still best not to do step too many days consecutively or you will risk over-use injuries. I have a bad habit myself of doing step day in and day out. I have to remind myself and sometimes force myself to change it up. It is best I think to keep it to every other day and fill in with other types of cardio like kickboxing, hi/lo or any other kind of aerobic training such as treadmill, spinning, etc.

HTH!:)

i am with wendy on this. to many days of step consecutive days could lead to injury. i also do kickboxing and on occasion cardio dance or hi/lo, i just can't excited over regular aerobics. i just started running(the term is loose here LOL) to get a new mix in. sometimes i find kickboxing to be a great compliment to pilates as well.
kassia

When they discover the center of the universe, a lot of people will be
disappointed to discover they are not it -- Bernard Bailey

Thanks for your replies ladies.

Boy - do i know what you mean when you say "its hard to get excited about non-step workouts" lol....

I appreciate your advice.

Yve.

It's funny, before Cathe I hated step because I could never "get it" so I never did it (except for the Firm step segments which are not like a traditional step w/o anyway.)! Now step is my fave! :)

While step is not a "weight" workout, it IS a "weight bearing" workout--which is what your question was (like walking or running, but not biking or swimming) and will help reduce chances of osteoporosis.

As for doing step every day: I would advise against doing any form of cardio every day. Everyone has a different tolerence, but by doing the same workout, you increase your chances of overuse injuries, muscle imbalance (step can give you strong quads at the expense of the hamstrings), and diminishing results because your body is more easily able to adapt to that specific exercise.

Mixing things up really helps. Try to add at least one other form of cardio (I prefer kickboxing, because it brings in the upper body, can work the hamstrings nicely if you focus on the recoil of the kicks, and is fun!).

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.