Step without a step

mjd

Cathlete
Yeah I know strange question but does anyone here do step workouts without actually using a step? I love Cathe's step workouts but my knees don't, so am looking at using a step sized mat or something instead. Does anyone else do this or am I the only weirdo around here?

My knee has also started to hurt me so I stopped using risers and was only using the step, but I have just been thinking I may go to just using the floor. I am thinking of ordering the step mat and I will use it on my step for lifting and for a guide for step workouts I think. Don't worry you are not alone! We may still be weirdos, but we're not alone;)

I recently concluded an extended period of time doing step without a step, for my knee like you. Now I am using a step with no risers and limit myself to 1-2x/week (the week of thanksgiving I tried step 3x and my knee complained for days).

Do whatever works for you! I love and was missing cathe step choreo which i why i did step with no step. One thing I will say, it certainly did not get my heart rate up the same way and my weight loss progress suffered for that. But for me it was modifying to all low impact AND no twisty/pivoty movements AND no step...

Whenever I'm learning a new step workout that may have trickier choreography (I'm choreography challenged) I usually do the first time or two on the floor, then will graduate to just the topper before using risers. So yes, you can certainly do step on the floor. :)

Even if you don't get as good of a workout without the step, it's worth those minor setbacks rather than risking injury from overuse! Just think of how little exercise you'll get recovering from knee surgery...I'm on to my 2nd surgery on the 23rd thanks to step.

I never use a step for the step wo. I'm sure it's not as good a wo without the step but it is fun and my knees thank me. It is also a break from the treadmill and variety is good.

Joan

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.