Step Sync First Impressions

jodijodi

Cathlete
I downloaded all of the workouts, and then had to decide which one to start with! I've been wanting to try Step Sync since it was first announced. Since I hurt my back last week, and it's not quite all better (though it is most of the way there), I decided to start with the Bonus Intermediate Step, which consists of two combos. There is no warm up, so I used the warm up for Step Sync. The intermediate step was fun, and I was able to do it straight through without having to stop or go back. The new moves are broken down well, and there are lots of classic moves to make it seem familiar. The pace was good.

My back felt pretty good, so I decided to move on by doing combos 1 and 2 of the regular Step Sync workout. These were more complicated, and I did have to stop once or twice, but overall I felt pretty good about the pace and the moves. I had practiced a few of the moves using the preview clips that Cathe had posted before, so I had some familiarity with them, which helped. When I practiced a couple of weeks ago with the clips, I used some features on my video player that allowed me to repeat sections over and over again, and at a slower pace. That helped a lot! So much so that I was able to do both combos at regular speed this time. The combos were fun, and I was able to get the moves down pretty well. I am sure that the more I do them the better I will get at them. I highly recommend that if you're having trouble with the pace that you look to see if your video player can play at a slower speed. VLC and Windows Media player can slow things down just enough to make it easier to learn, without changing Cathe's voice or the music.

After that my back was feeling a bit sore, so I finished up with the chair extended stretch. This was a good stretch for my back, so I'll definitely be using that one again. I might need a slightly taller chair for one or two of the leg stretches; it was hard for me to get my legs into the same position that Cathe did because of the length of my legs (I'm 5'6"). But other than that, it was great.

Anyone else start on the new workouts yet? First impressions?

I did Step Sync and the chair stretch. Love Step Sync :) The combos were a lot of fun and low impact. I had no problem following Cathe. I hurt my knees a few day's ago. You can up/or down the intensity in the Step Sync. I had a great workout and got tons of steps. The music was not bad. Step Sync reminds me a little of a mix of all Cathe's step workouts. Very fun. No jumping jacks or plyo moves. I would give this one 5 out of 5 stars! I think I will get lots of use out of this one. Can't wait to try all the others.

Last edited:
I'm one of the idiots who couldn't find her download code but as ever, the Customer Support team got that sorted for me straight away so as soon as I'm home, I'm downloading! I was dubious about Step Sync because I'm not that great with the complicated choreography, but if I never try, I'll never learn :) So I'm thinking I'll start with the intermediate and then make myself learn Step Sync - I'll slow down the player as I need to!

Got to admit, though, am most looking forward to the PHA....

I really enjoyed Step Sync. Like you, I started with the Intermediate Bonus, then put on Step Sync and did the first two combos (then I had to go to work). Today I did the entire Step Sync and while I had some miscues, I had a decently respectable outcome.

Then, because my family was still asleep, I did the combo only premix of Imax 4 (which I plan to do tomorrow).
Then, because my family was STILL asleep, I did the bonus abs on the step.

The biggest challenge I had with the choreography is that not all on the moves are 8 counts: they vary in length and that caused me to have to really concentrate. The two moves I found the trickiest were the reverse step hop and around (especially on the left side!) and the step sweep off the step.

But I liked the music and loved the outfits and background. And I like a more fun, comfortable workout for the days when I am sore or feeling a bit fatigued, so I imagine I will return to this one frequently.

I think I will tackle Step Sync the way I've started to do IMAX 4, in parts. I find that being somewhat challenged in the "dancy" department I like to do her timesaver premixes first to help me learn the footwork. I did the first half of IMAX 4 yesterday to fair success (it is more athletic so easier) and had a decent workout despite a few fumbles. I really feel accomplished when I learn the whole routines.
I think the best part about Cathe's step workouts is they not only work out the brain muscle they just feel good. They are an excellent way to just get the whole body moving.
By the way I had to kind of laugh about someone in another thread warned people to not wear yoga pants when doing this (something about a trip hazard??) I couldn't ever find pants that long that would cause such a danger to myself. I always question how anyone can even wear full length tights while working out inside. I keep my home temp low but I always wear shorts. I don't know about the rest of you but I would overheat in anything longer!

I downloaded all of the workouts, and then had to decide which one to start with! I've been wanting to try Step Sync since it was first announced. Since I hurt my back last week, and it's not quite all better (though it is most of the way there), I decided to start with the Bonus Intermediate Step, which consists of two combos. There is no warm up, so I used the warm up for Step Sync. The intermediate step was fun, and I was able to do it straight through without having to stop or go back. The new moves are broken down well, and there are lots of classic moves to make it seem familiar. The pace was good.

My back felt pretty good, so I decided to move on by doing combos 1 and 2 of the regular Step Sync workout. These were more complicated, and I did have to stop once or twice, but overall I felt pretty good about the pace and the moves. I had practiced a few of the moves using the preview clips that Cathe had posted before, so I had some familiarity with them, which helped. When I practiced a couple of weeks ago with the clips, I used some features on my video player that allowed me to repeat sections over and over again, and at a slower pace. That helped a lot! So much so that I was able to do both combos at regular speed this time. The combos were fun, and I was able to get the moves down pretty well. I am sure that the more I do them the better I will get at them. I highly recommend that if you're having trouble with the pace that you look to see if your video player can play at a slower speed. VLC and Windows Media player can slow things down just enough to make it easier to learn, without changing Cathe's voice or the music.

After that my back was feeling a bit sore, so I finished up with the chair extended stretch. This was a good stretch for my back, so I'll definitely be using that one again. I might need a slightly taller chair for one or two of the leg stretches; it was hard for me to get my legs into the same position that Cathe did because of the length of my legs (I'm 5'6"). But other than that, it was great.

Anyone else start on the new workouts yet? First impressions?

Step Boss will certainly increase the length of your telemeres. This kind of new learning, along with good physical exercise, is good for your brain. Thank you for more high quality product.

I did the intermediate step today. I struggled but it was better than I thought it would be. After a few more times, I should have it. Then I did the premix of the first 2 sections. I struggled (using the platform only) but it was fun. After that I did the blasts only from IMAX 4. Got a great workout today. I can't do too much step since it really bothers my knees. I will tackle this again next week. I'm surprised I did as well as I did. This is a keeper. Love all 3 workouts.

I did Step Sync Intermediate the first time this morning. I really enjoyed this workout. I'm not a huge fan of step workouts, but this routine is perfect for an uncoordinated person like me. :) It was fun, easy to learn and just the right length. I worked up a great sweat and got my brain working at the same time. I also did the ab stacker. Definitely makes ab work less tedious. I will do this workout several times, before going to the main workout. Also, my dvd hesitated twice during the workout. If it happens again I will contact customer service.

I did the first 2 combos of Step Sync and they are totally doable the first try. Yeah, I missed a few things but after years of doing Cathe you can pretty easily follow her. She is so clever to put a few familiar things in there so you don't feel like a complete fool! And yes, abs stacker is the best-not tedious but challenging to mind and body. As always Cathe and the crew have given us the excellent gift of high quality home workouts.

I did Step Sync yesterday too and really enjoyed it !
Took me an hour and four minutes to do as I did push the back button on a few moves I messed up on and to quickly rewatch a move to understand on what foot and side of the step I should end up on.
The backwards around the end of the step pump repeater was one, and the walk on top pitch kick and step sweep to the inside were a couple of those Lol !
Had to pay close attention to how some of the moves were put together as to be in the right place when the next move started, and when I got that it was wonderful
I too found the finished combos all together hard too, but that was me forgetting a move or two and with a little more practice it will be awesome !
I really began to see how it all flowed together beautifully, and I have to say I really enjoyed the uneven squat/ squat on top, tap straddle around the world, and some familiar moves put together differently to feel fresh and brand new too !
Thank you Cathe for another wonderful Step routine !!!

Ok, I love Step Sync, especially the Finished combos...I have decided on the
Spin back to the step that I am gonna walk back as she mentions you can do so
I don't get dizzy..and on the reverse turn pump 3 repeater on the corner, I am just gonna do the regular pump 3 around the corner, she also mentions that you can
Do that too, both are basically the same, just not quite as "fancy" :)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.