Step Jam: tap-offs vs. lunges

tommyk

In Step Jam, step section #2, the first part of the combo has a low-impact sequence with a step-up and tap-offs. This is followed by the high-impact sequence with a run-up and lunges.

Are there differences between the tap-offs and the lunges? They seem to have the exact same leg and arm movements. Does anyone do these as distinctly different steps? Or, do you do them in essentially the same manner?

tk

When you do the taps, the right foot steps down, then quickly comes back up to the step so you can tap your left foot down. When you do the lunges, the left foot is already going back while the right foot is coming back. There is less rest time with both feet on the step so the lunge esentially turns the lo-impact tap move into a high impact one. Hope this helps!

jillybean, thanks.

At first I didn't understand your description, but with that in mind while previewing step section #3, with its lunge series down the length of the step, it was just as you described it. That should be a good example. Thanks, again.

tk

Better way to explain it: the tap is essentially like a backwards basic step. The lunge is essentially like a bacwards run up. Does this make more sense?

jillybean, your descriptions remind me of lunges from before, maybe RS? Not sure, it's been a while since doing that one. After staring at SJ, it looks like both moves are an even down-up, first one leg, then the other. Are you with me on the section, the one with the stylistic T-step, and shuffle-repeater? It's chapter 7 on the dvd, if you have that format.

Are you familiar with the rest of SJ? I've only previewed section 3. Would you say it's more intense, energy-wise, than section 2? It looks like it might be, with going over the step, lengthwise, etc. Thanks, again.

tk

Oh section three is my all time favorite Cathe section! I love it! Wait until she puts all the moves together! I had the wrong move in my head so I will have to watch the tape and post again, I thought you were refering to the taps at the very beginning of section 2. But DO NOT WAIT to try section 3 just do it - it is SOOOOOOOO much fun!!!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.