Step Demonstration for Newbies

DirtDiva

Cathlete
I am really really trying to learn Step, but so far its not working out very well. Would love to see a dvd that would show all your moves demonstrated in a way a clutz like me could learn.

Step is really hard for me to learn too. I read somewhere on here that you just have to keep at it and then once you get it - you love it. I found this advise to be so true for me too When I got hardcore extreme and bodymax 2 I thought I'd thrown my money away cos i just couldn't get the steps. but day after day I came home after work and tried each segment of bodmax 2. I just took it one day at a time and finally got the steps - for the most part. I used the remote for each segment and just kept rewinding over and over til i got it. I also viewed each segment a couple of times before trying them too. it took a bit but i got it. I did the same with IMAX 2 and wow. love that one beyond and back. So keep at it. It's worth the work.

When I got hardcore extreme and bodymax 2 I thought I'd thrown my money away cos i just couldn't get the steps. but day after day I came home after work and tried each segment of bodmax 2.

I bought Bodymax2 for the upper body weights and the circuits, so I think I may try to work on this one first. I guess I shouldn't have started with Intensity and Athletic Step. Thanks for your advice and encouragement!

Body max 2 is my favorite step workout! it is the easiest one to learn and do for me! it took me a while to learn also :) I started just a year ago and I started with basic step then body fusion, went to low impact step, then imax 2,low max then body max 2. I have gotten intenstiy which I can do now, but still am working on that athletic step dvd myself. I am not one for all the fancy spinning moves myself because I have 2 left feet so have stayed aways from some of the other step dvds but I think that if you keep trying you will love body max 2 as much a me. I keep grabbing that step dvd over and over and over again it has great premixes also.
Step is so much fun for me when its not complicated which doesnt take much. A good intro dvd would be a great! And a step dvd that gets you working but that is not complicated would be great also! One that repeated the moves more would be good they dont have to change so fast all the time:p

Last edited:
I am really really trying to learn Step, but so far its not working out very well. Would love to see a dvd that would show all your moves demonstrated in a way a clutz like me could learn.

Sounds like it could make a very good Cathe TV set of segments

There should actually just be a chapter on each DVD that breaks down the complicated sequences for that particular DVD. It's simple, logical, safe (i.e. prevents viewer from hurting themselves tripping over the step while trying to learn the sequences). Unfortunately, it's also a pipe-dream!! They refuse to do it for some inane reason. That's why I don't buy step DVDs. I've got much better ways to use my time (like kickboxing and spinning)

I love the step video's. The first one I tried was Low max and I was completely lost. In fact it scared me off for awhile. I decided to give it another shot and started with Basic Step, then I moved up to Body Fusion, then to Low impact step, and then Step Moves(which I currently just love, although it has taken me a while to get all the steps). In fact all of them took me several tries and many pauses and rewinds, but I figured it out eventually. I even tried Low max again and was able to get through most of it. I think the key is to start with the easier video's and work your way up to the more advanced.

My biggest fear is my husband taking a sly video of me *trying* and then post it!

As of today, I can get through a few warm-ups only. I have just figured out that round the world thing, but I mess up on the third corner all the time. I get the repeater and the corner to corner. The bow and arrow gets me at times. Its putting the moves together is where I fail. I have Step Moves, Athletic Step, BodyMax 2, and a few of the other step workouts that came with Powerhour and 4DS. Oh, and I have Intensity, which there is just no way.

In creating step videos, Cathe is faced with the need to strike a balance between spending a lot of time teaching complex choreography that becomes boring once it has been learned and creating a program with minimal teaching time so that it has "staying power" after the steps have been learned. That's not easy to achieve because it makes it difficult for people new to the program but keeps it interesting to people who have done it dozens or hundreds of times.

If you're new to step, I would steer clear of Step Moves, which has very complex choreography, until after mastering other less complex programs. Basic Step & Body Fusion is considered Cathe's entry level step program, although it is targeted to the beginner/intermediate exerciser so you might outgrow it rapidly.

Step?

I have to chime in here...I love step more than anything but am also the world's biggest klutz. I couldn't learn a dance routine if you paid me. I learned step the same way as everyone else...practice, practice, rewind, watch, practice, practice, rewind...learning is a good workout! Now I look back on the workouts which completely paralyzed me at one time & now, I could almost do them in my sleep. Once your feet learn the basic & even not so basic moves, you just do them without even thinking about it. I would never have believed that in the beginning. Anyway, don't give up if you want to do it. If I did, anybody can, really!
Also, if you like the workout enough, learning it is just as much fun as doing it all.
Ruth

I agree that this would be a good thing to put on Cathe TV. Hopefully they will starts using that again because there are so many questions that come out in these forums that I don't think there is any limit on topics.

Cathe would you all consider using Cathe TV again?

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.