Stationary bike suggestions??

kathryn

Cathlete
I'm thinking of getting a stationary bike (good for knees), and wanted some suggestions from you guys. I'm not interested in "spinning" (at least not the "jumps" and standing moves), am somewhat attracted by the extra glute and hamstring work that you get from a recumbent bike, but am afraid it would be a bit boring and not as intense aerobically as a standard style bike, and want something that's somewhat compact. Anyone out there have a stationary bike they like?

For what it's worth....

.....I have an ordinary old (new really) Schwinn Airdyne. To me, they are the best. They are the ones you see in hospitals and all the Y's. My guess is because they simply don't wear out (they are completely mechanical), and they are no-brainer equipment. You don't need a mechanical engineering degree to ride the thing....just hop on and start peddling! I love mine! I paid about $450.00 for it unassembled.
happy.gif

You get the upper body workout,too, besides the lower body with the arm handles. They work on wind resistance....the faster you peddle, the harder the resistance on the bike. The front wheel works like a big fan, so it keeps you cool, too.

So, there....one opinion, take it or leave it!
wink.gif

wind trainer

I don't have a true stationary bike, but can convert one of my regular bikes to a stationary bike by using a wind trainer. The trainer is an inexpensive way to go if you already own a bike. The advantages are price & it's very light. The disadvantage is stability; you do need to pay attention & not lean way over to the side. I take spinning classes & haven't done anything in spinning that I couldn't do on my trainer. A major disadvantage to the spinning bikes besides cost, is their weight. They really are big & cumbersome. Watch quality if you go for a non-spinning bike. Tunturi is one brand to avoid.

If you have the space & resources, don't eliminate a spinning bike just because you don't want to work out of the saddle. I'd go that route if I had enough floor space (& couldn't ride outside 350 days of the year).

The standing work really works the glutes & hamstrings if your feet are clipped in. If one uses sufficient tension & proper positioning over the pedals, then the lower back & knees are protected. You didn't say why you want to skip standing work, so I'm guessing it's for safety reasons.

Debra

Schwinn Airdynes are good

They really do seem to last forever which means you can probably find one 2nd hand.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.