Starting to try...

imani

Cathlete
Hi! I'm new to posting but have been reading Cathe's forums for a while. My husband and I will be starting to try to concieve soon and I wanted to ask a fitness question.

Did you do anything different to prepare your body for the pregnancy?

I am an intermediate exerciser and I exercise almost everyday with Cathe, the Firm or Hollywood trainer videos. I was thinking of trying to increase my exercise intensity to shed some extra pounds and gain some strength before I got pregnant. Is this a good idea or should I just stay at the same level I am at?

thanks,
imani

Imani,

I have no medical training so my opinion is just that...an opinion. Personally, I do not think it is a good idea to be trying to lose weight while trying to get pregnant. I would stay at the same exercise level and just eat healthy. When trying to get pregnant I don't think it is good to stress your body more than you have to. You probably would not do any harm but I like to err on the side of caution. Others may view this differently but I thought I would share.

Good luck and happy trying!!!!

I didn't do anything different to my exercise routine to prepare my body for pregnancy. I was working out 5 days a week and was already at proper weight. After adding Cathe's Intensity Series to my workouts a year ago I already had improved my strength and core area prior to trying to conceive (thanks, Cathe!). If you exercise regularly now you're probably in good shape. If you need to shed a few pounds (and I mean here that you indeed are overweight and should lose some pounds) you might want to try doing that before you start trying to get pregnant. Doing that while trying to conceive is added stress on the body. Plus, I remember before I found out I was pregnant I already started to get a ravenous appetite - we're talking real early on! I suggest tackling one thing at a time. But definitely consult with your doctor first if you're unsure. Good luck!

Thanks

Thanks for the advice. I guess that's realy the best thing to do. Just focus on one thing...getting pregnant and not stress over weight and other things. I've got a doctors appointment in 2 weeks so I'll get her opinion too.

Thanks again!
imani

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.