Starting STS - Any Advice?

In Meso 1, don't let the pushups intimidate you. I now do them on my knees due to wrists issues. In Meso 2, I used the band with handles on the closed closet door. I have used a pull-up bar with a chair in the past. In Meso 3, I used 2 weight benches. One on a incline and one flat. I have old ones that are hard to re-adjust. I also set up 2 BB. One for floor work and one that stayed on my weight bench stand. I bought plate mates which were awesome for moving up in weight. I recommend the old hex models because the all enclosed rubber ones seems to fall off. I also bought a pair of 1 1/4 plates for my BB. Finally, I did abs on the cardio days. STS is my all time favorite workout system. I love the music and I love the men in it! I went from 15 lb DB chest fly's in Meso 1 to 35lb DB fly's in Meso 3. Not bad for a 55 yr old lady who has numerous health issues. The strength gains are so nice. It helps me so much with summer yard chores to winter shoveling. The most important thing to remember is to HAVE FUN!!

Good for you, Candice! My suggestion would be to truly do it 3 days per week and to separate each workout by 48 hours. I find if you are lifting heavy that a day's rest in between helps you hit it hard the next time. Scheduling it in and sticking to it is half the battle!
I did find that I needed a spotter for some BB exercises in Meso 3 - I found it hard to lift a heavy BB off/on the weight bench when I was in a reclined position. Maybe that is just me, but I was a little nervous getting into position. But, once I'm lifting, doing the reps is very empowering and well worth it!
STS is the BEST program I have tried for making gains in strength and definition. It is very motivational to make measurable progress. I know you will see a difference too!

Thanks Poohpeggy. I really appreciate it. Right now I have dumbbells up to 20 and a barbell from Les Mills Pump with 55 pounds total. I know I will probably need more but its a start.
The plate mates are great for DB's. I bought 4, each weighing 1 1/4 lb so 15 lb DB can be 17.5 lbs etc. I got mine on ebay. I forgot to say if you decide to do Squat Rack Legs in Meso 3, I used a backpack with BB plates inside since I didn't have a vest.

The plate mates are great for DB's. I bought 4, each weighing 1 1/4 lb so 15 lb DB can be 17.5 lbs etc. I got mine on ebay. I forgot to say if you decide to do Squat Rack Legs in Meso 3, I used a backpack with BB plates inside since I didn't have a vest.

What a great idea!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for that suggestion. I am going to looking into that. Better than buying more weights right now

Got delayed in starting and planning on starting Monday. Since I am doing this off of OnDemand I don't have the book or anything. Do I just do some form of cardio (low impact for me) on the non-lifting days? There are so many to choose from that it is a bit overwhelming trying to piece this together. I can't decide between ICE ones, X-Train or RWH to go with the program that would best compliment STS.

I do cardio on non-lifting days. I do a kickbox, step, hiit, 8"step, low-impact etc. It is important for my body to have variety. I also am careful not to do a kickbox cardio the day after a heavy shoulder workout. You can get ideas from Cathes STS Cardio suggestions. Its posted above in 2 parts.

Last edited:
I have a final (maybe) STS question. I am about to start Week 3 - loving this by the way. I didn't do alot of the 1RM testing (wanted to start). Now I see where this would have been better probably, but I'm an impatient person. Should I start over and do the testing then start at week one again or keep going? I have just been lifting what I think I can, but is that going to be enough.

Thanks again for any advice

I would keep going. As long as your feeling the burn, your working. I too am impatient, and have done STS many times. I have yet to do the 1RM. I always write down the weights I use and increase as each workout states.

Last edited:
In Meso 1, don't let the pushups intimidate you. I now do them on my knees due to wrists issues. In Meso 2, I used the band with handles on the closed closet door. I have used a pull-up bar with a chair in the past. In Meso 3, I used 2 weight benches. One on a incline and one flat. I have old ones that are hard to re-adjust. I also set up 2 BB. One for floor work and one that stayed on my weight bench stand. I bought plate mates which were awesome for moving up in weight. I recommend the old hex models because the all enclosed rubber ones seems to fall off. I also bought a pair of 1 1/4 plates for my BB. Finally, I did abs on the cardio days. STS is my all time favorite workout system. I love the music and I love the men in it! I went from 15 lb DB chest fly's in Meso 1 to 35lb DB fly's in Meso 3. Not bad for a 55 yr old lady who has numerous health issues. The strength gains are so nice. It helps me so much with summer yard chores to winter shoveling. The most important thing to remember is to HAVE FUN!!

This is great information; I am starting my Meso 2 on Monday. Boy was it hard taking the break this week from strength training.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.