Starting Insanity tomorrow... any advice

lov2bfit

Cathlete
Okay, I'm biting the bullet and I'm starting Insanity tomorrow. I will probably be crying half way though the fit test tomorrow, but I want to challenge myself. For those of you who have conquered the beast, do you have any advice? Did you all drink a recovery drink? What kind of eating plan did you follow? I don't plan to follow the eating plan from the program, but do plan to eat clean.

Katie

Hi,

I've completed 1 round of Insanity. I modified like crazy and made sure to keep my knees soft and posture straight. Don't be afraid to make some of the moves easier by modifying making it lower impact. I'd suggest warming up 15-20 Minutes before starting any Insanity workout. The warmup period in Insanity is super high impact and not what I'd call a warm up. Just really listen to your body if your knees or back are killing you then definitely modify and make it lower impact. No matter what definitely warm up 15-20 Minutes prior to beginning any insanity workout, your body will thank you for it and greatly reduce chance of injury and make the workout more fun. I really enjoyed my experience with insanity but I did my own warm up on the treadmill jogging for about 20 minutes first, and I also modified as needed and always protected my knees by keeping them slightly bent. I think you'll find this useful advice in enjoying your insanity experience.

Have fun and good luck!;)

Nora

Be prepared for MAJOR DOMS!!!! Be nice to yourself- this workouts are named Insanity for a reason! When I did it a year and a half ago (before I was banned by my PT due to a hip issue) I didn't even make it through the initial test.

Be prepared to become addicted and sweat more than you EVER have in your life! As the previous poster said- MODIFY, MODIFY, MODIFY until you get used to the workouts to help reduce the risk of injury. I will be honest- I was pretty arrogant when I began and pushed myself toooo hard in the beginning- despite being in good shape I hurt for days afterwords. Listen to your body and build up in a not-so-insane pace!

Just my two cents!

HAVE FUN and say hi to Shauny-baby for me! ;)

Pam

Hi,

I've completed 1 round of Insanity. I modified like crazy and made sure to keep my knees soft and posture straight. Don't be afraid to make some of the moves easier by modifying making it lower impact. I'd suggest warming up 15-20 Minutes before starting any Insanity workout. The warmup period in Insanity is super high impact and not what I'd call a warm up. Just really listen to your body if your knees or back are killing you then definitely modify and make it lower impact. No matter what definitely warm up 15-20 Minutes prior to beginning any insanity workout, your body will thank you for it and greatly reduce chance of injury and make the workout more fun. I really enjoyed my experience with insanity but I did my own warm up on the treadmill jogging for about 20 minutes first, and I also modified as needed and always protected my knees by keeping them slightly bent. I think you'll find this useful advice in enjoying your insanity experience.

Have fun and good luck!;)

Nora

Oh yeah- and Nora is soooo right! My very first statement when I started was THIS IS THE WARM-UP?!?!?!:eek::eek: Oh CRAP!!

I've done it twice. You will love it! Don't focus so much on your speed. Do it as fast as you can with good form, even of you are slower than the crew. I don't count calories; I just eat when I'm hungry, and keep it very clean and whole. I'd you're hungry, eat! You will need more calories on this program for sure. As previously said, the warm up is very high impact, so gently warm up first. I needed extra stretches afterward. It's really tough on your lower body, so plan for long soaks in an Epsom salt bath regularly. And drink lots and lots of water. I would drink a quart about 30 minutes before, otherwise I would not be hydrated enough and I got bad headaches. I almost always drank a half gallon during the workout and cool down. Good luck! Have fun!

I agree about the separate warm-up. I don't use Insanity as a total program, but I throw in a work-out here or there for variety.

I use one of Cathe's warm ups - like MMA Boxing - then do the Insanity warm-up as the first "combo". I skip his really long (like 6+ minutes) static stretch and go right into his first combo.

I cool down and stretch on my own after or use one of Cathe's stretches

Listen to your body and while it is very hard to drag your eye's away from Shaun (especially when he has his shirt off :eek: ) DO look at the back ground exercisers; you will see many of them going at a much slower and less intense pace.

Have fun!

Debbie Russo

I like the workouts, but have you ben-gay ready. The high impact was a killer on my knees

My advice....breathe.....just breathe.:D:p Good luck!

I did the rotation with Cathe's 4DS. I must admit my knees were feeling it after a month. Now I only sprinkle the workouts in here and there.
I love Shaun T!:D

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.