starting back up, workout suggestions?

hellopink

hi all. do to life events I haven't worked out in about 4-5 years. Before I was doing DVDs (Cathe, beachbody, the firm, barry's bootcamp, zuzkia on YT), and I had a treadmill and a rebounder I used for cardio) I got into pretty decent shape, lost 90 or so pounds... well... here I am almost starting over.

I've also put on a bit of weight (lost it and regained it). So where should I start now? I no longer have what I did a few years ago. I'm thinking of getting a spin or air bike for cardio. The treadmill would take up too much space and too noisy for where I am now plus I'm getting older I feel a bike would be better on my joints. I do outside walking but I feel I need that "something" for cardio to burn the extra calories. I'm leaning towards the air bike (even though all of the spin classes look fun, I think the air bike would burn more calories and I can do it on my own as well). maybe that's a question for a separate post?

Do people still follow rotations? I still have my beach body workouts but jumping in some of them is too hard for me at the moment. I used to like slim series, turbo fire, brazil butt lift. I can join Cathe online for her workouts. I no longer have my Firms (might be able to find them, but do people still use them? I know the floor work in some was good but there are youtube workouts now.

Trying to get back to what worked before, I did pull out my slim series, but if you ever did them you know... they can be long and boring haha. So I guess I'm looking for something more updated along those lines (Cathe or anything). light weights for now till I work to heavier again (I'm thinking of getting those adjustable dumbbells for heavier stuff eventually), tough cardio, intervals, not too easy (no step ATM but not alot of jumping around (some is ok but not the whole workout), some floor work, I have bands so band work is ok too. I don't really like walking and place, and I'm not totally new to working out so want something a little challenging.

I see cathe does have low impact workouts now I'll check out, but does anyone have a rotation? or if I join cathe online are there rotations where I can pick workouts without too much jumping? I'm thinking of a 3-month rotation to help me get back into things so I'm not doing random workouts not making progress.

there's just soooo much out there now compared to 5-10 or so years ago, I feel so lost on what's cool now. plus there's so much on youtube now, but again, I feel like I'd just be doing random workouts and I'm not sure if that helps with making progress.

Wow, where to start ... For physical fitness,, since you're thinking of streaming, I recommend you start with a rotation from Cathe's LITE series ... it's versatile, intermediate level, has premixes to shorten or lengthen so you can adjust as you progress, and it's primarily lower impact and a step is not required. The rotations can be downloaded from Cathe's website (I don't stream, but the rotations are probably in the system too). Since heavy dumbells are in short supply & expensive when you can find them, the LITE series has a workout using bands and bodyweight only also. Of course, there's Cathe's new workouts - Boss Bands & Loops, and can be streamed also.

If you buy a spin bike, see if you can check them out in-person as some are louder than others.
Do what you can and be patient with yourself as you work your fitness level back. Read many of the inspirational stories of regaining fitness on Cathe's forums.

If the LITE series turns out to be too much, I recommend Jessica Smith - she has many, free YouTube videos, plus streaming, downloads and DVD options. Jessica is warm, friendly, encouraging and offers modifiers too.

And for fat loss, a healthy diet will help most since that seems to be a goal of yours too.

HTH.

Good for you for wanting to take charge of your health! Your body will remember and be glad you're doing what you can to care for it. Every minute matters!

Ohh I don't care how vintage Slim Series ..I'm still a fan of that series especially because of the bands. Many of the longer workouts can be split. But I digress...

I think starting off with Brazil Butt lift rotation is an excellent fun way to get started since you have that. I think it would blend well with your bike idea.

It's kind of hard to suggest a rotation without knowing what you have...but take a look at Cathe's latest user guide for Boss bands. Two rotations that are there that might be something you'd be interested in are the low impact and the travel rotation.
https://cathe.com/bossguide/

Finally, if you have some of Cathe's older workouts she has a beginner rotation.

March 2006

If you are new to working out with me and are fairly new to fitness, I suggest you use the following DVD's along with this posted 3 month fitness program to prepare you for my more advanced workouts.

These workouts are Basic Step and Body Fusion (both on one DVD), Low Impact Step and Total Body Sculpting (both on one DVD), and Total Body Stretching. The equipment used in these beginner DVD's is as follows: 3 to 5 pound handweights, an exercise tube (preferrably with handles), and a stability ball.

Side Note:
After doing the 3 month break in period, I think all other tapes will be more comfortable for you (however, I suggest Cardio and Weights as the next stepping stone). The workouts that you should hold off on for a good few months are all of the Imax workouts (ie: Interval Max, Imax 1, 2 or 3) and any workouts labled using the words "Extreme or Terminator" in its title.

Here is a three month starter workout plan:

Week 1,2 and 3:

Mon: Basic Step plus Lower body hand weight add on (it is one of the workouts on the tape)

Tues: OFF

Wed: Basic Step plus upper body hand weight add on (it is one of the workouts on the tape)

Thurs: One Segment from Total Body Stretching (a good idea to start with the segment that uses no equipment)

Fri: Basic Step plus Abdominal routine add on (it is one of the workouts on the tape)

Sat: Upper AND lower body tubing routine (it is one of the workouts on the tape)

Sun: One segment of Total Body Stretching plus the the abdominal add on from the Basic Step DVD

WEEK 4, 5, and 6

Mon: Body Fusion

Tues: Lower Body add on with hand weight from Basic Step DVD

Wed: Body Fusion

Thurs: The abdominal add on from the Basic Step DVD plus One segment from total Body stretching

Fri: Brisk walk outside for 40 minutes and a segment from Total Body Stretching

Sat: Upper and Lower body add on with tubing plus abdominal segment from Basic Step DVD (they are all on the DVD)

Sun: A segment from Total Body Stretching DVD

Week 7, 8, and 9

Mon: Low Impact Step

Tues: Total Body Sculpting

Wed: Low Impact Step

Thurs: Abdominal Add on from Basic Step DVD plus one stretch segment from Total Body Stretching

Fri: Body Fusion

Sat: OFF

Sun: Total Body Sculpting

Week 10, 11, and 12

Mon: Low Impact Step

Tues: Lower Body Add On with hand weights from Basic Step DVD

Wed: Body Fusion

Thurs: Brisk walk for 40 minutes plus abdominal add on from Basic Step DVD

Fri: Total Body Sculpting

Sat: One segment Total Body Stretching

Sun: OFF

As far as what to eat....

Eat a wide variety of veggies, especially dark leafy green veggies, a wide variety of lean protein sources, a wide variety of complex carbohydrates, and keep all your foods in their more natural form (without cream sauces, or frying, or without swimming in oils). Eat a wide variety of healthy fruits too and be sure that you have citrus sources as well. A daily multi-vitamin is a good idea too.

Good luck and always listen to your body along the way. Gently push harder on energetic days. Strive to maintain your best effort on stressful or "not fully into it" days. Take a day off on days that you have lead legs, fighting a bad cold, feeling mentally or physically run down, or experience an overall sense of "I just can't do this today"

Last edited:
Also here is another beginner rotation from a Cathlete that is 12 weeks long that I think is excellent using Cathe workouts (but not officially from Cathe.)

She does a generic breakdown for each workout so you can substitute in another workout that fits the category if you don't have or want to do the one listed. So see that breakdown at the bottom.

Fitnessfreak366 (Debbie) from Cathe forum She designed 12 week training program to give another forum member strength and endurance gains.
(see generic workouts to sub in other workouts for highlighted)
"The first four weeks are very basic total body workouts with cardio. The second four weeks brings you slowly to a more intermediate type rotation and then the third four weeks has you doing a true split rotation with advanced workouts. By this time you should be able to do most of the workouts in their entirety. If not, modify as much as you need to but make sure you push yourself as well. If you don't challenge yourself to go farther with each workout, you are just wasting your time.
So here is the rotation. Hope you enjoy it. It was tough to make up but fun at the same time.
WEEK 1
Day 1: Body Fusion
Day 2: Basic Step
Day 3: Power Hour
Day 4: Rest or any stretch workout
Day 5: C&W step only premix and abs from C&W
Day 6: Total Body Sculpting
Day 7: Low Impact Step
WEEK 2
Day 1: Rest or any stretch workout
Day 2: Muscle Endurance
Day 3: Step Blast step sections #1, #2 & #3 & cooldown/stretch
Day 4: Body Fusion
Day 5: Rest or any stretch workout
Day 6: Step Heat
Day 7: Total Body Sculpting
WEEK 3
Day 1: Rhythmic Step step sections #1, #2 & #3 & cooldown/stretch
Day 2: Rest or stretch
Day 3: Push Pull
Day 4: Low Max #1-#4 premix
Day 5: Step Jam (only use 1 set of risers or just the platform)
Day 6: Rest or stretch
Day 7: Super Sets
WEEK 4
Day 1: High Step Circuit
Day 2: Step Max Do KCM kickboxing (only use 1 set of risers or just the platform)
Day 3: Rest or Strech
Day 4: Muscle Max ( Do KCM Full body)
Day 5: Low Max #4-#7 premix
Day 6: Body Fusion a
Day 7: Rest or Strech
WEEK 5
Day 1: Cardio & Weights
Day 2: Cardio Kicks
Day 3: MIS
Day 4: Rest or Stretch
Day 5: Bootcamp Lower & Upper Body premix; Bootcamp Core only premix
Day 6: Imax 2 Intervals #1-#5
Day 7: Step Heat (use 1 set of risers)
WEEK 6
Day 1: Circuit Max
Day 2: Imax 2 Intervals #6-#10
Day 3: Rest or Stretch
Day 4: High Step Challenge Timesaver #1 Do a Firm
Day 5: Power Max 60 min cardio
Day 6: Muscle Max Upper Body Only premix & Muscle Max abs
Day 7: Muscle Max Lower Body Only premix
WEEK 7
Day 1: Rest or Stretch
Day 2: CTX Step & Intervals step & Chest
Day 3: CTX 10-10-10 step & Tri’s
Day 4: CTX Power Circuit step & Back
Day 5: CTX Leaner Legs
Day 6: CTX Kickbox & Bi’s
Day 7: CTX All Step & Shoulders
WEEK 8 (skip to next week since you don't have and you started at week 4)
Day 1: Rest or Stretch
Day 2: Body Blast Timesaver #1
Day 3: Body Blast Timesaver #2
Day 4: Body Blast Timesaver #5
Day 5: Body Blast Timesaver #3
Day 6: Body Blast Timesaver #4
Day 7: Rest or Stretch
WEEK 9
Day 1: SJ&P Step & Hi/Lo premix 45 min cardio (no circuit work, just cardio)
Day 2: Pyramid Upper Body (entire workout)
Day 3: Kick Max Low Impact Kick Box premix
Day 4: Pyramid Lower Body (entire workout)
Day 5: Rest or Stretch
Day 6: Rhythmic Step
Day 7: Body Max Step & lower body circuit (no upper body work)
WEEK 10
Day 1: Step Works
Day 2: Pure Strength Chest, Shoulders & Tri’s
Day 3: Imax 1
Day 4: Pure Strength Back, Bi’s & Abs
Day 5: Rest or Stretch
Day 6: Pure Strength Legs & Abs
Day 7: SJ&P step only 45 min cardio premix (no cooldown) and C&W step only premix (no warmup)
WEEK 11
Day 1: Gym Style Chest & Tri’s
Day 2: Step Blast 60 min cardio
Day 3: Gym Style Back, Shoulders & Bi’s & any ab workout from Ab Hits
Day 4: Rest or Stretch
Day 5: Gym Style Legs & any ab workout from Ab Hits
Day 6: Imax 2
Day 7: Cardio Kicks
WEEK 12
Day 1: Slow & Heavy Chest & Back
Day 2: Step Works
Day 3: Rest or Stretch
Day 4: Slow & Heavy Bi’s & Tri’s
Day 5: Imax 3 (if you are not up to this level yet, use the platform only and modify – its ok to modify!)
Day 6: Slow & Heavy Legs & Shoulders
Day 7: Step Fit

Here is a generic breakdown in case you don't have a certain workout for a certain day:
WEEK 1
Day 1: Circuit workout
Day 2: A basic step workout (no longer than 40 minutes)
Day 3: Total Body workout
Day 4: Rest
Day 5: half hour cardio and abs
Day 6: Total body workout
Day 7: Basic step workout (no longer than 40 minutes)
WEEK 2
Day 1: Rest
Day 2: Total Body workout
Day 3: 45 minutes of cardio
Day 4: Circuit workout
Day 5: Rest
Day 6: 50 minutes cardio
Day 7: Total Body workout
WEEK 3
Day 1: 45 minutes cardio
Day 2: Rest
Day 3: Total Body workout
Day 4: 45 minutes cardio
Day 5: 50-60 minutes cardio
Day 6: Rest
Day 7: Total Body workout
WEEK 4
Day 1: Circuit workout (45 minutes)
Day 2: 50-60 minutes of cardio
Day 3: Rest
Day 4: Total Body workout
Day 5: 45 minutes of cardio
Day 6: Circuit workout
Day 7: Rest
WEEK 5
Day 1: Circuit workout - at least an hour
Day 2: 60 minutes of kickboxing (cardio)
Day 3: Total Body & abs
Day 5: Total Body & abs
Day 6: 30-40 minutes cardio
Day 7: 60 minutes Cardio
WEEK 6:
Day 1: Circuit workout - at least an hour
Day 2: 30-40 minutes cardio
Day 4: Circuit workout
Day 5: 60 minutes Cardio
Day 6: 45 minutes upper body workout
Day 7: 45 minutes lower body workout
WEEK 7
Day 2: Chest workout & 30 minutes cardio
Day 3: Triceps workout & 30 minutes cardio
Day 4: Back workout & 30 minutes cardio
Day 5: Leg workout (an hour)
Day 6: Biceps workout & 30 minutes cardio
Day 7: Shoulder workout & 30 minutes cardio
WEEK 8
Day 2: Chest & Triceps workout & 30 min. cardio
Day 3: Back & abs workout & 30 min. cardio
Day 4: Leg workout
Day 5: Biceps & Abs workout & 30 min. cardio
Day 6: Shoulders & 30 min. cardio
Day 7: Rest
WEEK 9
Day 1: 45 minutes to an hour of cardio
Day 2: Upper body workout
Day 3: Low Impact cardio (60 minutes)
Day 4: Lower body workout
Day 6: 60 minutes cardio
Day 7: 45-60 minutes HIIT training
WEEK 10
Day 1: 60 minutes cardio
Day 2: Chest, Shoulder & Tri workout
Day 3: 60 minute HIIT workout
Day 4: Back, Bi's and Abs workout
Day 6: Leg & abs workout
Day 7: 45 minutes cardio
WEEK 11
Day 1: Chest & Triceps workout
Day 2: 60 minutes cardio
Day 3: Back, Shoulders & Biceps workout & abs
Day 5: Leg workout & abs
Day 6: 60 minutes HIIT workout
Day 7: 60 minutes cardio
WEEK 12
Day 1: Chest & Back workout & abs
Day 2: 60 minutes cardio
Day 4: Biceps & Triceps workout
Day 5: 60 minutes HIIT workout
Day 6: Legs & Shoulders workout
Day 7: 60 minutes cardio
"

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.