standing ab work

nightowl81

Cathlete
any tips for getting the most out of standing ab workouts? I'm noticing a trend.. Jackie Warner and Jillian Michaels have standing ab workouts coming out and the ab workout in Turbo Fire is mostly standing.

I did the one from Turbo Fire but didn't feel much, I'm a little hesitant to use a heavier band with it since that's not an area I want to get thicker or anything (I'm an apple!).

I love working my abs, and I love working them with weights. I really feel like I can feel the muscle working. That being said, I feel that specific ab workouts are a nice to do, not a need to do, because if you do comprehensive weight training, especially if you do compound moves, and you use good form, you will always be using your abs to stabilize your body properly and they will get an excellent workout.

As a side note: I don't know why people say crunches don't work, though (I hear this a lot nowadays from people that believe that functional fitness is the only way to go and traditional weight lifting sucks), as I sure as hell not only feel my abs working while I do them, but the next day too!

I have no tips but just wanted to say that there's an excellent standing ab work out at the end of CIA: Criss Cross Cardio! She concentrates on obliques and OMG I was sooooo sore the next day after the first time I did it! AWESOME! :)

I have no tips but just wanted to say that there's an excellent standing ab work out at the end of CIA: Criss Cross Cardio! She concentrates on obliques and OMG I was sooooo sore the next day after the first time I did it! AWESOME! :)

Oooh I'll have to check that out, thanks for the tip!

Billy Blanks has an ab workout that's all standing, Tracey Staehle's Core Blast has some standing weighted sections and, of course, so does Ab Circuits. :)

I came back to add that IMO, kickboxing wearing weighted gloves is great standing ab work in itself! I definitely see improvements in my abs (specifically my obliques) when I do a lot of this. :D

I LOVE standing ab work, always have. And I love that so many instructors are incorporating it. I do so much general core/ab work from these my dvds like Turbo Fire, any kickboxing dvd, Kelley CM does lots of standing ab moves, that I don't feel as guilty now when I skip parts or all of the ab work at the end of dvds when I'm just too pooped to do them or out of time. I still like to get in some floor work, but I only do the ones I like or can tolerate now.

I have heard a lot of talk that women are kind of losing their waists due to trends in ab work, and I have noticed that in the physiques of instructors and background exercisers, like Chalene and Jackie Warner come to mind.

Honestly if I could get my mid section ANYWHERE near them, I don't care if I have a waist or not!

Oh sorry, just read your original question, I don't think I have any tips per se, I am an apple too, but I love that even under my fat, if I stand straight or suck it in a little, I can see the formations of abs in there. I definitely attribute that to the Turbo Fire rotation mixed with KCM dvds I recently did. I burned out on TF at week 10ish, but have continued with dvds like Kelly Coffee Meyer and Michelle Dosois Peak 10 dvds, mixed with a variety of other cardio, mainly kickbox and hiit.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.