Stairs

tobermory

Cathlete
Can someone help me out here? I work my lower body 2 to 3 times a week, and I am fairly strong. I stretch after workouts and I massage my thighs, sometimes I ice, but when I do more than 2 flights of stairs my thighs kill me! What am I doing wrong? I would think that since I am stronger I should be able to climb many, many flights, but the pain is pretty bad -- mostly in my quads.

Thanks in advance,

Tobermory

It's just about muscle memory, I think. Training in one kind of activity doesn't really prepare you for other kinds of activity, even using the same muscles, simply because your muscles aren't used to moving in precisely that way. But with the strength you have built up, you would probably get used to it quicker than someone without that strength behind them.

I say you found a workout that's workin' for you! For me, it sounds like a good thing if climbing the stairs really gets into that muscle, and you feel it afterwards. I'm sure after a while the soreness will subside, but if I were you, I would keep it up.:D

I'm the same way, have strong legs, but when I hit the stairs at the parking garage they burn and I am out of breath. It subsides rather quickly though so ITA it is about the action that you are not used to.

Perhaps you could add some "step ups" with a little weight to your leg workouts? That would be the same type of action as climbing stairs and may help with stairs.

This has always amazed me too. I am fit , work out 6 days a week, can get through some of Cathe's toughest cardios, PLUS, on running days (1-2 days a week), I also run up and down stairs as intervals during my run.

BUT, 2 flights of stairs at work (carrying about 20 lbs), KILL me! Wipe me out, make my legs burn, and I truly feel like I could pass out.

I do recover pretty quickly , if that counts for something. But still!!!

Alright, happy to know I am not the only one. But perhaps the solution is training -- I will start doing the stairs in my building a couple of days a week -- 7 flights -- a couple of times and see if that improves things. Maybe training it will stop this annoyance.

Thanks,
Tobermory

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.