Stability ball push ups

spyrosmom

Cathlete
Hi Cathe!!

How in the heck do I learn to do a stability ball push up? I can do all other sorts of push ups, but I can't figure them out on the ball. I can hold my self w/ straight arms or bent arms on the ball, but I can't make the movement between the 2. I don't know if its lack of strength, balance, coordination or fear of splatting my nose on the floor. Probably a combination of all of the above. What's the trick to learning these? It's currently at the top of my fitness to-do list.

I also want to say a quick thanks for all you've done for me - mind, body, and spirit, and an apology for all those nasty names I call you while you're on my TV. This evening you went from being "banshee woman" during IMAX3 #5 to "you wonderful lady" when it was all over :) :)

Nan

I started out wedging the ball in a corner of my workout room. Once that got "easy", I moved the ball to a step riser (55 cm ball...don't know if a larger one would work)in the middle of the floor. Maybe that will help. Glad you made it a goal. You'll reach it!! Keep on truckin'!

Hi Nan

The great thing about the stability ball is that you can control the intensity of the exercise. By controlling how far you roll out on the ball this will determine the difficulty of the exercise. Try rolling out to only about the top of your thigh and play with that position a little. Then when that feels too easy roll out a little further each time.

Hope this helps
nkunangel

Thanks, guys. To clarify a bit, I'm trying to do the ball pushups where my feet are on the floor and my hands on the ball. I can do them the other way, with my hands on the floor and legs/feet on the ball

Nan

Hiya Nan,

I find the best way to do a push-up on the ball is to place the ball against a wall. This is how I do them, otherwise I'm all over the place.

Take care.

The Nuyorican

I also placed mine at the corner of two walls. I gradually moved mine to just one wall (and sometimes still when I lack that extra balance and coordination- LOL). I can now do them directly on the ball in the middle of the room. It does take balance, strength, and coordination. Somedays your balance may be off, but when you are first starting off doing them it seems almost impossible. Keep trying:)

I did 1!!!!! One wobbly stability ball pushup with the ball wedged in a corner. I am smokin' now!!!!! Thanks everyone!!!

Nan

I put mine against the wall too. There's no bleeping way I can do them with the ball in the middle of the room yet. Hopefully I'll get there one day though!

I have yet to try this - but it is on Drill Max! I have that DVD, but have yet to try that too! I will get there soon!

A few quotes from me :):
"Life is short so be the best you can be every single day of your life!"
"My game face is on almost every morning at 5AM!"

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.