Squats and Lunges

AFgal

Okay,

So I workout regularly but seem to have the same problem over and over...At least I think it is a problem. All of the fitness gurus say that you should feel squats in your glutes but the only place I feel them are in my quads---unless I do one-legged squats. Same with lunges. What on earth am I doing wrong???

I have the same problem. If that's what you want to call it. I'd really like to hear other peoples opinions on this.

Jennie

~Straighten out, fly right~

Cathe Friedrich

Are you putting all the weight of your body into your heels and pushing from them? It might be your distribution of weight, i.e. the majority of your weight is in the ball of your foot rather than the heel.

Hi -

Try pushing through your heels when you are going up. Also make sure you aren't leaning too far forward. Your knees should be behind your toes, not in front of them as you squat down.

That should help you put the focus more on the glutes.

Take care, Lynn M.

No, you aren't doing anything wrong. Squats are considered a "quad dominant" exercise. Lunges are considered a "glute" dominant because you push off with your heels coming back up.

You may have what's called "glute amnesia" as well...it where your glutes have forgotten how to work. To find out, do 1 legged glute raises on the floor. If you're not able to, then you have the amnesia. I'd go to T-nation.com and type in 'glute amnesia' into the search and it will show you some exercises to correct it.

I have never heard the term "glute amnesia until now. However, I think I had it until I got Butts and Gutts. That is a great workout to cure it too!!

:)

Lynn M.

Kettlebell swings are a great way to work on glute amnesia. I find that I feel squats more in my glutes than before, after practicing kettlebell swings (the 'butt way back' posture and the 'hip snap' at the top of the move really put the emphasis on the glutes).

Thanks!

I know I have the proper form, just thought when all the instructors say "do you feel it in your glutes" I was crazy!!

i don't have glute amnesia, but I will keep working my quads so they get stronger.

Thanks again.

I do lunges onto the step instead of flat on the floor. That's the only way I feel anything in my glutes. It also takes some of the load off the knee.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.