Squat rack?

lorrayne

Cathlete
I'm thinking of buying a squat rack to add to my ever growing list of equipment. I think it would be great to use in Cathe's PS Legs (and possibly for chest work) and her new slow and heavy series.

Can anyone recommend a squat rack for me?

Thank you!
lorrayne

Lorrayne--I can't help you with you're question because I have no idea what a squat rack is--could you let me know, I feel so dumb asking but I'm so curious.

thanks, Nancy

Hi Lorrayne
I purchased a squat rack last year through www.bigfitness.com
)I am very pleased with it. The price was $99.00 which I believe included shipping. It can also be adjusted lower to use for bench pressing if you want. They also have a squat rack/lat pulley combo which is more economical than purchasing separate equipment (which I did).
A squat rack makes a huge difference when going for heavier weights while doing leg work and I consider it one of my smarter purchases. If you need more info just say so, and good luck with your purchase.

How long is your bar?

Hi Lorrayne, how are you:)

I'm not going to be of much help, 'cause I found mine at a Replay Sports store and have only seen one other since..and they shipped that out to Joni O in Minnesota LOL.

It's an adjustable rack made up of two single independent poles on 2' square flat bases. They work great alone for squats or beside a bench or step for chest work. They store neatly too...I can snug them right up side by side and drop the poles to the lowest position and they aren't too much of an eye sore in the family room.

The other benefit of having them as independent poles is the distance between them is adjustable. It makes a huge difference with my Firm bar. Being that it is fairly short..it wouldn't be long enough to span some benches or fixed squat racks. Something to keep in mind if you have a shorter..non olympic size bar.

Do you have a good Replay type of store out there by you in California? Check and see what they have kicking around, you may find a real bargain.

I guess I can't really help you other than having you check to see if you can stumble on one like mine and just to give you the tip about the span of some racks in relationship to the bar you have.

One other option for you, if you have the space, is a good power rack. This gives you the option of having the squat and bench press options and it has the safety bars so you don't drop the weight on yourself if you can't complete the rep and you don't have a spotter. They can be pricey..but I have seen some fairly affordable too.

I can't wait for those new tapes!!!:)

http://members.aol.com/_ht_a/naconfer/images/summervfnut.gif

Thanks everyone

Thanks for the advise. I'll check out the tips you've provided me. I definitely want something with a safety as I doubt I'll have a spotter each and every time I use the darn thing. ;-)

Lorrayne

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.