Sprained ankle

feebee

Cathlete
Anyone have an idea on how long it might be before I can use impact workouts again? I sprained/twisted my ankle on Feb. 2, 2007, kept off it for 6 days and then went back to work (assist. preschool teacher with lots of running between 3 classrooms). I am just starting to try no/low impact hi/lo for 20 min. That is all I can handle so far. I don't want to push it but am so impatient to get back to regular workouts. Don't want to jump on it til its safe. Would it be better to just lift weights and stick with no/low impact for now? Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks,
Colleen

Have you asked your doctor? I know you wanted opinions, but I imagine healing for everyone is so individual. I would think your doctor would give you the safest advice. This goes for any medical issue. Common sense would tell me to use caution and stop when it is too much. If it is painful, I am guessing that is too much.

Debbie

Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'
Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.
--Family Guy

Colleen, for most soft tissue trauma 6 weeks of healing is pretty standard. That being said if you've had a lot of damage in your tendons it may take longer as tendons don't heal as quickly as muscle tissue.
I'm a cautionary tale, while training for a half marathon last summer I had ankle troubles, I iced and stretched but kept banging away at it. The half was 4 months ago and my right ankle is still trashed for running. Had I backed off I may be running now. Moot point because it was all worth it and I'd probably do it again (although I'd never recommend it to anyone:)). Let your ankle heal and do consult a doctor or even better a Physiotherapist.

Take Care
Laurie

I did have a doctor take x-rays right after it happened and it was not broken. He also wrapped it and told me to stay off it for 24 hours. Right after, we had that cold snap and I went nowhere for 6 days. When it hurts I rest it as soon as I'm home. I guess it may take longer than I thought to heal, six weeks seems like forever.
Thanks for the feedback!
Colleen

I sprained my ankle, severely, and it took seven months to fully heal. Be careful with soft tissue damage as you can really mess it up forever if you don't allow it the time it needs. Take the time now.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.