Spinning?

fitat49

Cathlete
Hi ladies!
I started spinning and love it! My question is how often can I do it without getting bigger in my thighs and bootie? I'm interested in just toning those areas. Thanks!

I started spinning and love it! My question is how often can I do it without getting bigger in my thighs and bootie? I'm interested in just toning those areas.

I spin, as well as, cycle often - usually 3-4 time a week and in the winter, I do 2-3 months of spinning 5-6 times a week.
When I started to spin a lot, my thighs and butt got really toned, not bulkier. I've been spinning for 4 years now and noticed the difference in my thighs within a month of frequent spinning. I was toned and in good condition before I started spinning. (Working out 5-6 times/week for the past 13 years)
Spinning and cycling did make a difference in my body. I also continue to weight train regularly and mix in other cardio, Hiit and circuit training, so that spinning (and cycling) are not my only means of exercise. You'll need to keep up with the other stuff, too, but can back off a bit if you spend a lot of time on the bike. I usually do premixes of around 35-40 minutes for weights and/or other cardio, 5 times a week. You'll find that you will need to have the leg strength to really push hard on the spin bike, so don't neglect weight training for your lower body, as well as your upper body. Core work will make you a stronger spinner as well and the spinning will keep you lean.
I love it, too!

Hi ladies!
I started spinning and love it! My question is how often can I do it without getting bigger in my thighs and bootie? I'm interested in just toning those areas. Thanks!

You have had spot on advises from Bonjonbart. Cross training including weight training is the way to go IMO.

Would like to add the searching option of the forum. You can find out if your question has been discussed or answered in the past.
All you need to do is click on magnifying mirror tab at the top of the forum home page. From there you can just add your
keywords. You can also use the advanced search option.

There are tons of thread about "toning" "bulk" --- Regardless of what both words mean to you:rolleyes::eek:, I believe you will found your
answer and/or what you want to hear, using the search magnifying mirror tab. All the very best!:):)

Last edited:
I've been spinning 3x a week for the last month or so, alternating with Cathe, and have run across info saying, weirdly, that you can't lose weight with spinning. I'm using Global Cycling Network videos, so I'm not talking about a leisurely pedal.
Any more experienced folks wanna chime I?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Hi ladies!

I started spinning about a year ago and love it! I spin one to two times a week. I would do it more but cathe has so many amazing workouts there aren't enough hours in the day. Ha! Plus I want to have time for my weights and HIIT workouts.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I've been spinning 3x a week for the last month or so, alternating with Cathe, and have run across info saying, weirdly, that you can't lose weight with spinning. I'm using Global Cycling Network videos, so I'm not talking about a leisurely pedal.
Any more experienced folks wanna chime I?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I don't believe it for one minute! Nonsense I say!
Every inch of my body is covered in sweat when I finish spinning.
I don't get this result with any other workout!
Spinning blasts calories for sure.

I love Peloton too :)... I don't subscribe every month, but I try too as often as I can. I like a lot of their Beyond the
Ride workouts too.
I don't have a Peloton bike (sigh) but use the app with my bike.

I love Peloton too :)... I don't subscribe every month, but I try too as often as I can. I like a lot of their Beyond the Ride workouts too. I don't have a Peloton bike (sigh) but use the app with my bike.
Yes, I agree! The BTR workouts are an excellent addition to the Peloton lineup. I used to be a health club member at a cost of $67/month, but I finally cancelled that and now I just subscribe to Peloton for $39/month and Cathe LIVE for $10/month. Happy Cathlete here! :)

I'm in love with my Peloton. :D

My best guy friend really wants one of these. I'm worried that the screen will fail, or that the streaming part will not always be available. I wish the screen could be used as a computer, I would buy it if it was interchangeable.

Forgot to add...

Who-ever wrote that article implying one cannot lose weight while spinning is flat-out wrong and laughable. Why not apply the same *logic* towards speed walking, road biking, or running? You can lose fat with any type of workout that requires energy expenditure. Ummm, that even includes sleeping.

Last edited:
My best guy friend really wants one of these. I'm worried that the screen will fail, or that the streaming part will not always be available. I wish the screen could be used as a computer, I would buy it if it was interchangeable.
I pondered my decision to purchase for a considerable period of time. I used to go to the gym to spin, but I cancelled my membership because the commuting to and from was no longer practical. I was so close to buying a different high-end spin bike, but then I had a sudden change of heart. I cannot seem to pinpoint what ultimately drove my decision to go with Peloton because I have to admit that I had NEVER used the app or taken a Peloton class prior, but the idea that I would have a selection of classes at my fingertips was appealing. I love having the tablet there with all my metrics while I'm riding, but all my stats are maintained in my account too, which I access on the web. Honestly, I could not be any happier with the quality of the Peloton bike, the class offerings, the instructors, the community. Everything has far exceeded my expectations!

I pondered my decision to purchase for a considerable period of time. I used to go to the gym to spin, but I cancelled my membership because the commuting to and from was no longer practical. I was so close to buying a different high-end spin bike, but then I had a sudden change of heart. I cannot seem to pinpoint what ultimately drove my decision to go with Peloton because I have to admit that I had NEVER used the app or taken a Peloton class prior, but the idea that I would have a selection of classes at my fingertips was appealing. I love having the tablet there with all my metrics while I'm riding, but all my stats are maintained in my account too, which I access on the web. Honestly, I could not be any happier with the quality of the Peloton bike, the class offerings, the instructors, the community. Everything has far exceeded my expectations!

I can tell you are passionate and that's the best endorsement! Currently, I have my road bike on a trainer which has worked very well for me. I went to a spin class with him, my first time...and I nearly blew my knee out when I realized you can't just stop spinning (like on a kinetic trainer). I am fairly confident he is going to get one, especially if I start talking about it. Thanks again for your input on this.

I can tell you are passionate and that's the best endorsement! Currently, I have my road bike on a trainer which has worked very well for me. I went to a spin class with him, my first time...and I nearly blew my knee out when I realized you can't just stop spinning (like on a kinetic trainer). I am fairly confident he is going to get one, especially if I start talking about it. Thanks again for your input on this.
:D You're welcome. Please come back and post if/when your friend decides to purchase.

If I ever invest in a better spin bike than what I have, I want one with the fore/aft handlebar adjustments as well
As a better range of up & down for the seat and handlebars. Mine just doesn't have that great of adjustments, but
I make it work.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.