Spinning -- only source of cardio

exer_cited

Cathlete
Hi everyone.

Does anyone use spinning as their only source of cardio?

Within the past month or so I've really gotten into it. So much so that I can't get enough and I want to do it every day. Or at least 5x a week which would mean spinning on consecutive days.

Any thoughts/suggestions are appreciated!!

Just watch out for overuse. I probably wouldn't do the same thing on consecutive days unless I was training for an ultra marathon and needed to be able to run on exhausted legs.

And, I must be honest, I prefer the 5-10k range, so thats probably not going to happen;)

It shouldn't be a problem at all. During the summer, I cycle five times a week, and usually for two or more hours each ride. It's gentle on your joints if your fitted properly to you bike. I say go for what's motivating you right now. Cycling, when I get into full season, always gets me the leanest. The calorie burn is fantastic with spinning, in or out.

Thanks Fembot40. Very encouraging that you cycle 5x per week for such long periods of time. It's definetly motivating me right now so I'm going to go with it for as long as I can.

It shouldn't be a problem at all. During the summer, I cycle five times a week, and usually for two or more hours each ride. It's gentle on your joints if your fitted properly to you bike. I say go for what's motivating you right now. Cycling, when I get into full season, always gets me the leanest. The calorie burn is fantastic with spinning, in or out.

In my crystal ball I see myself on a spin bike.:p

Since about February this year, spinning has been my only form of cardio. I spin to videos 5-6 days per week and strength train 4 days. On the 4 days of weights, my bike rides are around 30 mins and my weights are around 30 mins. The other two (or one) day, I spin for about 60 mins. I feel great! If I ever feel tired like I've over-trained or anything, I back it off and take an additional rest day. I've always been a "listen to your body" believer, but I also benefit from harder workouts.

Hi there :D

I LOVE spinning! Spinning does, honestly, help me stay very lean. That being said, I can't spin every day during times when my goal is to build more muscle mass. The calorie burn and cardio output are just too high for me to sustain mass if I overdo it. I think whether you spin 5x a week or not depends on 1) how your body is feeling (most importantly) and 2) what your specific fitness goals are vs how your body responds to the spinning.

I knew it was only a matter of time before you'd see this thread and chime in, Jenn!!! :D

At this point, my fitness goal is fat-burning. I am content with my muscle mass, I just want to be able to see it!!!

I don't think I've been spinning long enough to know how my body will respond so I'll give it some time and re-evaluate.

Hi there :D

I LOVE spinning! Spinning does, honestly, help me stay very lean. That being said, I can't spin every day during times when my goal is to build more muscle mass. The calorie burn and cardio output are just too high for me to sustain mass if I overdo it. I think whether you spin 5x a week or not depends on 1) how your body is feeling (most importantly) and 2) what your specific fitness goals are vs how your body responds to the spinning.

Last edited:
Hi Sarah.

I've only been spinning at the gym since I don't have a spin bike at home. Cyclemax looks pretty awesome though. If I ever invest in a spin bike, I'll be buying it for sure!

Do you guys that spin more than once a week use Cyclemax? Do you have any other DVD recommendations?

Sarah

I've also been doing a lot of spinning this winter/spring. Due to tendonitis I got in late January, I started spinning 2-3 times/week to take the pressure off my feet. I have the ProForm 290 SPX and it's been great! I love it so much that even though my foot is all healed up, I still spin 5-6 times/week. I do use CycleMax (did it yesterday, in fact), but I use Spinervals most often. I have lots of them and mix up what I do based on whether I want to hard or easier (ha, none of them are easy) and how much time I have for cardio. My goal is also weight/fat loss (so far down 27 lbs this year) and I've seen great results from spinning. My legs are leaner and also have more definition than in all the years I did exclusively Cathe for cardio. I spin in conjunction with weights (did a full cycle of STS, have been doing some full body and P90X stuff since, going to back to STS in a week and a half). I also throw Cathe cardio in any day I want to mix it up and do something different and fun :) Anyway, just my two cents on the whole thing. Nice to "meet" some others that love to spin, too!

Carol

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.