Spinning class

darla723

Cathlete
This summer, I'll have an opportunity to take a spin class on a cruise, and since I'm not a member of any gym, I've never done this. Can anyone tell me what it is--I think I have an idea, but can anyone clarify the basics?

Thanks
Doreen

Hi Doreen! Spinning is SO much fun!! You'll be on a 'spinning' bike (an adjustable bike that kinda looks like a racing bike on one wheel) along with the other partipants. The instructor will have you 'climb' hills, change your positions, etc. You should be spinning to the beat of some upbeat, fun music. I'm sure you'll have a blast (although your tush may be a little sore if you're not used to being on a bike for so long). :)

Carolyn

I did a couple of spinning classes last year and I LOVED them I can not afford to keep going (to keep up my Cathe habit). An instructor is at the front of the class facing you and they instruct you what to do up hills down fast stand up sit down coast it is super hard and wear little to nothing you will be drenched in sweat keep a water bottle and watch those pedals you have to slow them down they don't just stop if you can get a pair of bike shorts have a pair for when you go your private area will be tender.

It is a blast. When I can afford it I will take some more classes.
beth6395

"Double Knot your laces and let's move on"
-Cathe Friedrich

You may want to take some classes before you go on your cruise. You may end up quite sore and that's not fun especially when you are on vacation.
Namita

I have grown to love spinning - it's a very intense workout, and it's great for slimming your legs. I'd read that a long time ago, and it's really true. I do it 3 times a week. To simplify it, it's a simulated bike ride - the instructor prompts you on hill climbs (seated & standing), flat road rides - again, seated & standing - sprints, intervals, etc. It's suggested that you allow 6 weeks to build your "aerobic base," so you can work at more advanced levels. I'm a certified spinning intructor through the Johnny G folks, Mad Dog Athletics. I prefer to use aerobic music for my classes, not the suggested "spinning" music like they sell on there site. There are some good DVD's out there to use, too, if you can't make a class.

Hi Doreen,

Carolyn gave you a good description of a class, but I just wanted to add that my introduction to spinning was on a cruise. It was so much fun! There were people of all levels in the class and the instructor made everyone feel completely comfortable. I was so hooked that my DH bought me a spin bike shortly after that. I also have never belonged to a gym and don't feel particularly comfortable in one, but this class was great. Have fun!

Kara

I did a spinning class once and it was so fun but HARD. I was in good shape then too. I second taking a few classes before your trip. Jess

Super workout, very tough even for those in good shape! I have a spin bike at home and do the Spinervals and Johny G workouts.

Warning: It'll hurt your bum and privates at first, then you kinda go "numb".}(

I thought I was in shape before I tried spinning :+ I love, love, love it and I leave class every week a sweaty mess. Each week my 'privates' hurt a little less ;)

I've been wanting to try this for the LONGEST time and now you guys are pushing me over the edge...I may just have to bite the bullet!

Tammy (hey girl! :))...your post killed me! LOL!!!

I would highly recommend trying it a few times well before your cruise so you can see if your bum can take it. When I did I wasn't sore, I was flat out in pain. I broke my tail bone almost 20 years ago and the spinning class made me relive the torture. I now do the cycle at the gym with the big cushy seat and it still bothers me a bit. I didn't enjoy it all and spent the entire class thinking "WTH will this be OVER?!" I highly recommend you give it a try, maybe even a few tries but don't feel bad if you don't enjoy it.

Hi-

I've done spinning classes a few times and it is an awesome workout!

Everybody above gave you some great advice. My only thing to add is to "pace yourself".. I didn't the first time and ended up quite wrecked at the end of the workout. ( This is even after I had a couple of triathlons under my belt, so I was used to riding a bike.)

I don't do the classes anymore only because of my schedule.. but its a great way to get your heart rate up and work your legs in a non-impact way.

Also, ask the instructor to help set the heighth for you on where to sit. That will make a big difference in how your tush will feel post workout if you are sitting correctly.

Have fun!! Lynn M.

Pacing yourself is excellent advice. I made the same mistake and was cocky thinking that I was a runner, worked-out a lot, blah, blah, blah. Yeah, I about had a coronary within the first 15 minutes because I had cranked the resistence so high and was pedaling like mad.

I don't do spinning much anymore after hearing that the "numbness" described above is actually caused by cutting off the circulation to your privates. You're sitting on the big artery that supplies this region and it seriously impedes blood flow. I don't know about you, but I want things to FULLY function down there. So, in the end, the numbness scared me away. JMO!

Still, a kick *&# workout and worth trying! Have fun and be prepared to SWEAT!

My arse was on FIRE after the first spin class I ever took but after that I was fine.

It's definately a TOUGH class. I know it's the toughest I've ever taken at my gym! It is rivaled only by a class called "boot camp". Nothing else compares.}(

Definately pace yourself and take it slow the first time. It's very easy to over-do it in spin.

There are way to protect your vitals - a gel pad is one, bike shorts is another. I have many long distance bike rides, including 2 centuries (100 milers) under my belt, and have no issues in "that" area. But bike shorts are highly recommended if you're going to be spinning often. If your butt goes numb a few times, you'll be okay, but long term - that's not good.

I agree with the others to pace yourself. Spinning can be quite challenging. For me, the only thing that burns more calories that spinning is running, and I can spin far longer than I can run.

In your first class, get there a bit early and explain to the instructor that this is your first class. He/She should adjust your bike to fit you properly (spinning is a great non-impact workout, but an improperly adjusted bike can hurt your knees). You really want a very slight bend in your knee at the bottom of the pedal stroke.

Oh yeah - enjoy it! It's so fun and the closest thing to an actual bike ride while never leaving the gym!

I took up Spinning when I had a stress fracture in the metatarsal bone of my foot over the Summer. I wasn't supposed to do any cardio...but I did Spinning with my cast boot on! I know....I'm so stubborn!

Anyway, I had SUCH pain "down there" from being in the saddle constantly, as the bike and Rebounder are the only forms of aerobics I did during the entire time I wore the cast bootie. Yes, I jumped on the Rebounder with my boot on also!

Anyway, I finally ordered a pair of bike shorts with the gel pad cushion and it's much better.....plus, I think I got used to it pretty much.

I usually spin once a week or twice a week now. It's an excellent workout and low impact! Good for us ladies 40+!

I spin at home on a stationery bike and had to have it fixed recently cuz Spinning on a "non spin" bike is really hard on the brake and my bike broke. I can't afford a Spin Bike yet....someday!

Spinervals and Johnny G's are my favorite spin workouts. That and Cy-yo.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.