Speaking of clean carpets

dss62467

Cathlete
I went to Circuit City the other day to buy a charging station for my Wii and since they're having a liquidation sale, I ended up buying myself a steamvac. How often is it safe to shampoo your rugs? I was only doing it once or twice a year before, because renting that machine from the store is a major pain - and hiring someone is expensive. But now I've got 3 dogs, and one isn't completely housebroken yet....so well...you get the picture.

Is once a month OK? Or even biweekly? I spent a small fortune recarpeting this house a couple years ago with very high quality carpet and I'd like it to last awhile.

I am not an expert, especially since my house is almost completely carpet-free (wood and tile everywhere except 2 bedrooms). However, when we did have carpet everywhere, I would steam clean once a month or so, or even just the traffic areas.

I never used any solutions in my steam cleaner, though. I only use hot water in my machine. Someone told me once that once you put any shampoo/product, etc, in your carpet you can never completely remove it and that attracts more dirt.

I am sure that you will get more expert opinions here, but that is how I have approached clean carpets in our home!
Jenn

We gave up on carpet in all areas of our house except for the bedrooms.
We made the decision based on the fact we will always have fur kids. I can't see living life without them now!

For carpet cleaning, I agree with everything Jenn said. Steam clean, without chemicals or soap. I will use spot cleaner, but that is just for spots that water will not clean.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.