Sparrow-Christmas card envy

orangenet

Cathlete
I have received a couple of those Christmas letters and it got me thinking about your post last year about Christmas card envy:

So do you ever get those Xmas cards that make you feel completely inadequate as a human being? Or like the most boring person on the planet? :p

We received two Xmas cards today:

One friend sent the year's rundown of what everyone in her family has been up to. Inevitably little Janie has raised millions for abused chiggers, little Johnny has learned how to split the atom while still in diapers, dad has been promoted so high in the company they have him sitting on the roof, and mom herself found time to invent a broccoli that tastes like chocolate-covered marshmallows while losing 50 pounds, knitting a gross of baby hats and serving on every board in a 30 mile radius.

Other friends sent their annual "here we are in a perfectly fabulous location" picture Christmas card. This year the happy couple was in Holland for 3 weeks before heading to Thailand to visit friends. You know where DH and I went this year? The DMV, the grocery store, the end of the driveway to grab the free paper. I swear, next year I'm going to take a picture of us embracing in front of our ramshackle chicken coop and then send it out to folks as a card saying "Here we are in compelling Sri Lanka..."

Of course, I am totally kidding. I love getting these cards. Really. :p

A year later and I am still laughing my arse off over that thread.

Just wanted to say thanks.
Annette

If anyone wants a good laugh you have to read the whole thread. It is from 12-04-08.

Here's the link to the 2008 thread. It was great.
http://www.thecathenation.com/forum/showthread.php?t=255268&highlight=envy

Here's a sample letter with today's economy. I apologize in advance to those of you have truly been affected by the recession, because that is not a laughing matter.

Sample letter.
Dear family and friends,

As many of you know, my husband, due to the recession, lost his job at the factory. The whole plant has been transferred out of the country so our whole town is starting to turn into a ghost town. I too lost my tech support job when our customer service department was relocated to India. Grandma fell and broke her leg, but thanks to Medicare cut backs, can't afford to have it fixed. We tied her leg up with a 2 x 2 with a furniture caster wheel on the bottom so she can scoot around just fine. The roof has been leaking terribly, but that's a blessing because now we catch the rain right in the house to save for later since the well pump went out a few weeks ago. The car broke down a few weeks ago, but that's ok because we are saving lots of money on the gas we would have used. Johnny was doing so well in school on the days that he attended, but has since been kicked out. Something about having to attend a minimum amount days. Sally is doing great. She is now sixteen and can marry the father or her 2 children (hopefully before she delivers #3 in the spring). As for Judy, she wanted one of those new fangled electronic pets (Zhu Zhu) but we can't afford one. So we took a big ball of dog fur and wrapped it around one of Johnny's old hot wheels and she will never know the difference. We will be spending the holidays at my mother's. Not because we want to be with family, but because we received our final eviction notice on the house. Other than that, things are just fine. Hope this letter finds you doing as well as us.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.