Soy Protein Powder

JulieH

I'm trying to incorporate more soy for the health benefits but the taste of some of them- BLEECH! Does anyone have any recommendations for a brand that I can at least disguise in a smoothie :)
Thanks

added goodies

Hi Julie,

I can't really recommend a good brand, I have tried many and right now I have a powder that has a ton of other things in it along with the soy but I usually try to mask that soyness with added stuff into the smoothies.

This morning I had 1/2 a banana, a few frozen strawberries, blueberries and fresh pinnapple...it did the trick. It helps to have some of the fruit frozen. The warmer the smoothie..the more noticable the soy flavor for me.

I have added a little vanilla or almond extract at times too..but find the fruit to really fill out the flavor better.

I will be watching this thread for tips too
wink.gif

nancy:O)

more soy...

I seem to be finding more and more things at the store lately for soy.

Someone makes a great sprouted soy crunchy bread and I had that this morning for snack
happy.gif
...very good with big chunks of soy nuts in the bread. Not sure who makes it??? but it was called sprouted soy crunchy bread!

I also snack on roasted soynuts..they come in all flavors and I love them.

Anyone have any other good soy sources out there???

There's a soy nut butter...

...that I think is pretty good. I spread it on toast & just last week saw it in my "regular" supermarket.

Also, recently I whipped up silken tofu & added it to mashed potatos. I couldn't taste a difference & the spuds were very creamy.

Soy foods

You might want to check out my posting on the nutrition check-in where I listed some of my favorite lean protein sources...some of which are soy-based.

As for soy powders...I currently use one called Health Source that tastes good (at least to me)...I like the strawberry flavor -- I just add water and a banan and blenderize and it makes a pretty good smoothie. I think the website for info on this product is http://www.healthsource.com

Aside from soy powders, you might also try Boca burgers, baked tofu (I get a hickory flavored one), or soy nuts (I get barbecue flavored ones from http://www.dixiediner.com).

Just a few ideas...hope this helps
happy.gif

Speaking of Dixie Diner...

I highly recommend their Soy Rocks. Yum, Yum, Yum. And very full of soy protein / isoflavones.
Karen

soy

Nancy,
That bread sounds so good! Please try to remember the name.
I have not used soy protein powders, but I love Silk Vanilla soy milk. It's great by itself & even better on cereal. They also have plain & chocolate. Plain is a little nasty. Never tried the chocolate, but if in the mood will put about 1-2 tsp cocoa powder & packet of Equal in vanilla milk. That is really good.

The Bakery name

<center><font size="1" color="#ff0000">LAST EDITED ON Jun-02-00 AT 06:21AM (EST)</font></center>

Hi Michelle,

The bread is by Alvarado St. Bakery. They are out of Rohnert Park, CA. Their phone # is 707 585 3293 in case you want to find the closest distributor. I was hoping they had a website..doesn't everyone now?! hehehe

The bread is really good and hearty...also organic if you like that. No added oil and I try to find breads that use more natural sugars and this one uses barly malt and molasses.

Hope you can find it...it makes a good PBJ excepty I make a ABJ..Almond Butter and Jelly:O).

I am going to give that silk milk a try too...I have seen many good reports on the flavor. I am not the keenest with soymilk. I use a lot of Rice Dream for my cereal and love it but if that silk milk is as good as you all say...might be a good change everynow and then.
happy.gif

silk

I love the stuff, but maybe I'm weird in that it's the plain that I like the most. I think the vanilla is too sweet and can only use it on cereal (where I agree that it rocks) and in smoothies. Maybe my problem is that I cook with soy milk too much, and you sure don't want to be putting vanilla soy milk into your mashed potatoes
happy.gif
But if you like Rice Dream, you're probably better off trying the vanilla, since to me they seem similar in sweetness.

The chocolate is really, really chocolately. Which is either a wonderful thing or kinda scary, depending on the person in question. Works well half and half with plain or vanilla.

That bread sounds phenomenal.

Karen

soy sources

I second the recommendation for soy rocks--decadent!
I have used several soy protein mixes that I like: Peaceful planet (berry, chocolate, or vanilla) and spirutein are good, for example. I like to mix vanilla soy powder with orange juice, to get a "dreamsicle"-like flavor.
For soy milk, I would recommend "Edensoy" or "Pacific Ultra" enriched soy milks. I've gone through a lot of different ones, and those are about the only two that I would dare drink plain (or use for dipping cookies
wink.gif
). Many other ones taste too beany or have an odd texture. But this is a matter of personal taste, too. (It must be---I've tried "silk" and thought it was in the "yucky" categor--though, as I recall, it was more for the pasty feeling that it left in my mouth---maybe like real milk--than necessarily for the flavor). Try a variety of soy milks to find one you like. The ones you don't like by themselves can be used in place of milk in baking.
Some other tasty forms of soy are roasted soy nuts, soybean butter (mixed 1/2 and 1/2 with peanut butter is good), Luna bars, tempeh (a cultured whole soybean product that comes in a flat cake. It tastes somewhat like fish or chicken when cooked---of course I haven't had either for over 20 years, but it seems similar).

More soy sources

First off, I love Silk vanilla on cereal also. I use the plain to make cream soups and in my hot tea and coffee. I now no longer buy cow's milk at all. But the thing I want to share most is soy flour. You can add 1/2 cup or so to pancakes, quick bread, pizza crust,etc. It is cheap and doesn't seem to affect the flavor or lightness if you don't put too much in. I also find that tofu substitutes perfectly for the ricotta in lasagna.

more on soy

Also, try kashi.com, they have a new line of products called GoLean - which has lots of soy protein - the cereal and bars are great! I didn't care for the shakes - but that's just my opinion.

Marian

Vitamin World Pure Soy Protein Isolate...

It comes in a non-flavor choice, and was at deal for me at $10 for 32 oz. It mixes great in my shakes and I don't mind the mild taste. I only use protein shakes on the days I lift heavy. They were over the limit for my calorie intake....

finally, a soy yogurt that actually tastes like it

For those still in search of palatable ways to eat soy:

I was browsing through the local Fruitful Yield (tiny health food chain), and happened across this soy yogurt that I've never seen before. I bought some just to check it out, and unlike the Silk soy yogurt, which is sort of okay as long as you pretend it isn't yogurt, this stuff actually tasted like I remember the real thing tasting. Okay, it's been almost 2.5 years since I ate dairy except by accident, but I can usually say pretty quickly when things are just way off (soy cheese for instance, at least the kind that don't sneak milk protein in so that it melts - yuck, I'll eat my pizza cheeseless, thank you).

Anyway, this stuff is called WholeSoy, and I found a Website. They make Strawberry, Peach (I've had these two, and the strawberry is esp. good), raspberry and plain, with new flavors coming out soon.

http://www.wholesoycom.com/

I honestly stopped and reread the label after I tried the first bite, thinking for sure that this was one of those soy but not dairy-free products which are the bane of my existance.

Speaking of those type products, have any of you that drink milk but are trying to add soy into your diet tried the one brand of soy milk that is half soy, half regular milk? I saw it one the shelf in Whole Foods, and thought it might be a decent way for someone to get used to the taste. Of course, it could be truly vile. And I'm not sure how comfortable most people would be with drinking milk out of a tetrapak that's been sitting on the grocery shelf for months, but it might be something to consider.

Karen

Protein Powder

My sister turned me on to a product called "Genisoy". I got the chocolate and thow a scoop of that in my blender with 8 ounces of milk and some ice. It is reaaaally yummy.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.