Sore hip joints from running? Any ideas?

I did a 10K run yesterday and have horribly sore hip joints today.

Have been doing mostly TM runs of up to 8 miles since last Nov. and have been running at least once a week outdoors for the past couple of months.

The race was on the roads (asphalt) and I usually do my outdoor runs on hard dirt trails.

I have run the exact same route the past couple of weekends and not had any pains, but was running in the dirt.

Any ideas on what may have caused my joint pains? (Hurts to even walk today).

TIA

Jacque-does it hurt in a bad way? Or more like DOMS? My hip flexors especially take the brunt of my races and I get DOMS in the hip and quad areas quite frequently after races. I think as long as it's not a bad pain, it's most likely just from the impact of the asphalt and your body adjusting from the TM and dirt paths.

Oh, and how did your 10K go???

Gayle

Congrads on your race first of all. Next, I had a hip replaced due to arthritis...has your pain been off and on for awhile? Does it feel like the joint hurts or your muscles that run down the front of the quad? Be careful, and take enough rest days from running.

worseenemy
Hi I'm not use to run that often but this week I run 2 days wend and sat well let me said that the pain on my legs and knees are killing me I only run 3 miles on sat about 30 min and after that I did IMAX3 (maybe not the best thing to do after running)I can't walk strength looks like I just have a baby and yes hurts to walk even 2days after. I just hope that I'm good to go tomorrow for the workout of the day.

Gayle - it was super painful just to stand or walk last night and this AM. As I was running around the house today doing chores it seems better now. Didn't feel like hip flexors or DOMS but more at the back of the hip joint. In trying to stretch out my hips I didn't feel it much - the cross your leg over the other and turn your torso in the opposite direction (standard Cathe hip stretch). I guess since it is better tonight I'll be OK - may need to check to see how old my shoes are also. Do you find the TM is as hard on wearing down your shoes as it is running outside? As far as the race, it was my first so I started at the back and pretty much only passed a few people during the race. Maintained a steady pace of between 10 and 10 1/2 minutes per mile. Felt pretty good. Ending time was just under 1:03.

Tneah - it is more toward the outside and back part but feels a bit more joint related than muscular. Have had it many years ago but not recently.

worsenemy - you just may have over done it. Imax3 is a tough workout - I can't imaging running and doing that in the same day. One thing I noticed when I first started running off and on many years ago was that a new pair of good running shoes made a big difference to me. I had some hip flexor and knee pains when I first attempted running and after working out with Cathe to strengthen my muscles and buying a good pair of running shoes the pains went away. I haven't been running continuously since we had problems with rapists on the paths that I ran so I finally got a treadmill and got the urge to run again. I hope your knees and legs are feeling better tomorrow. Maybe if they aren't you can do upper body while they heal.;)

Hi Jacque...if you normally did TM runs and a once a week run on hard dirt without any hip pain, then I agree with Gayle as it was most likely caused by the race on asphalt. I have found with races it is always good to do as much of your training on the same type of "road" that you will be racing on. I hope your hip pain goes away soon. Have you ever tried a foam roller for muscle pain? They work really well and I got mine cheap at Target...:)

worseenemy
Thanks you read my mind,that's what I'm going to do today,I was going to do DRILL MAX ( the workout of the day for July rotation)but I can't I still sore, you are right I did over do. so I'm going to do Upper body Pyramide. I hope tomorrow I'm ok, for tomorrow is B&G lower body workout .
Eunice :)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.