soooo confused

kariev

Cathlete
i'm sooooo confused on how much weight training and cardio should be done. it seems like each day i read something different on whether to do more cardio or more weight training to get lean (i know diet is number one but i have that part down). i wish there was just a black and white answer to it all. i think about it a lot and the more i think the more confused and frustrated i become. i have to admit i get nervous about lifting heavy and getting bulky. i really like to lift and cardio is ok but sometimes i feel like the cardio makes me tired and hungrier. i know its a trial and error type of process and i have been working out for the past 10 yrs and i still don't have the body i want which is like how cathe looked in kickmax. the problem with the trial and error approach is you have to give a routine a good month to see if it works and if it hasn't worked you feel like its been time wasted if that makes any sense. so i just wanted to vent a little and wanted to know if any of you feel this way or have any adivce or if you found what worked for you.

I feel for ya Karie. I get frustrated at times too. The one thing that worked like a charm for me was P90X coupled with a pristeen (well, for me anyway!LOL) diet. I am not sure though if it was the program that worked so well or just the fact that for the first time I allowed myself to cut back significantly on the cardio. I was always PETRIFIED to do that. That being said, I think my body was just in total shock! LOL I guess shocking the body really DOES work! So I think ultimately you just need to keep mixing it up. Go from heavy weights to endurance weights and from lots of cardio to only a little cardio. Mix and match everything differently with each rotation. You don't need to make your rotation 4+ weeks. You can do a 2-3 week rotation.

Also one very important thing to remember is that everyone is different. I don't blame you one bit for wanting Cathe's Kickmax figure but the fact is that you may just not be pre-dispositioned to being able to get that kind of shape. You really just have to be the best that YOU can be and stop trying to look like someone else. I think you are just setting yourself up for disappointment that way.

HTH a bit.

I think there are so many different recommendations because 1) different things work for different people (depending on body type, genetics, etc.)and 2) it depends on ones goals.

For 'health' benefits, a minimum of 30 minutes of cardio most days of the week, or 60 minute sessions 3 times a week, plus 2 days of weight training, seems a standard recommendation.

But for anything beyond health/fitness, you have to put in more type, especially with the weights, IMO. And don't forget the food and recovery parts of the equation.

i still don't have the body i want which is like how cathe looked in kickmax.

Part of that could be because you aren't Cathe: you may have a different body type and never be able to get that exact look. You might be happier if you accept what your best look is, even if it isn't as 'whatever-you-like-about-it' as Cathe.

What are you doing right now? How much and what type of cardio? How much and what type of weights? That might help us find something that works better.

Was there a rotation that seemed to work better for you than others (give you better results, in line with your goals)?

thanks for the replies ladies. currently i have been doing more cardio since i have been feeling bulky. honestly this week i have only done one upper body workout (p90x upper plus) the rest has been 45 min of cardio; some steady state and some with intervals interspersed. i think i may just stick with health and do the 3 cardios and 2 weight training segments. at one point i wanted to look like a fitness model but now i just want to be healthy. lately i have been doing 3 meals a day since 5 or 6 make me obsess over food but i can honestly say that i don't lean out like i do when i eat smaller meals. so today i'm switching back to mini meals and mabe taking in a little more cals (i was doing 1500) to feel more satisfied. i have this fat layer that just won't go away and all the cardio i'm doing is making me feel very fatiqued. i feel like i'm just spinning my wheels. i do believe that diet is 85% of the battle so i need to get back to grazing on food. i think i get anxious doing so b/c i'm starting rotations in a week and i'm unsure if i'm going to be able to manage eating frequently but i have to put in the effort. i will bring meal replacement shakes with me when i'm in the clinic. one can always make time to down a shake. what does you current workout routine look like?

I agree with what the other posters stated. Everyone is different and you just need to play around with what works for you. I also agree that switching things up helps greatly. Recently I started running 3 days a week as I'm training for a 1/2 marathon in December. I do weight training 1 day a week (sometimes 2 if I can fit it in) and 2 days of mainly cardio with some strength (kettlebells) thrown in. I've been eating very, very good lately (except for yesterday b/c it was my bday) and I've seen really good results in a short period of time. I don't weight myself but my stomach is flatter and showing some definition and I just feel more lean in general.

I think you need to get the image of Cathe out of your mind and be the best that you can be. I would love to get ripped and look like Cathe but I just don't have the time. I dream of one day taking 6 months off to see what I could really accomplish but I don't have that luxury right now. :(

Please don't be frustrated. You are doing a fabulous job of taking care of yourself!!! That is most important. The rest will fall into place.

I've been working out for almost nine years and it is only in the last couple that I have really started to discover what works for me and my body. I did tons of cardio forever but discovered that less cardio and heavier weights actually keep me lean and healthy. I've found that the P90x style of training works wonders for me. And, I think I am probably one of the few people around these parts who thinks that exercise and keeping "everyday" busy are more important than diet. That's not to say I don't eat healthfully, I do, but I don't worry at all about fat vs carbs or calorie counting or any of that stuff. Anyway the point is, I think you really have to experiment and see what works for you.

Sparrow

I'm mostly a lurker on this site - love all the people and info and honest sharing that goes on here... I get on here and read just to feel good!

Just wanted to send encouragement to you. You sound like a go-getter and a high achiever and you're expecting only the best for yourself. And that's great, except when those high expectation sends you into a negative place, where you're beating yourself up, which is I suspect the exact oppositive reason you started working out to begin with...

One 'action' to consider is to step back a little and appreciate all that you ARE accomplsihing and all that you ARE doing...you're working out regularly and have for years, you're fit and healthy and you have a community of fitness friends who care about your success. (and I am sure there are millions of very cool things happening in your life)

It is great to have high expectations and goals, but when those very goals and expectations turn us so that we are frustrated and really hard on ourselves, then IMO it is time to relax a bit.

I know when I get frustrated or unsure about what to do next, after I vent a bit, I try to take time to re-center, step back a bit through appreciation.

I write lists of what I appreciate about myself and others - I have Positive Aspects notebooks (just plain notebooks) stashed in my car, in my office and around the house...taking this or some other internal action first, helps me regain perspective, re-remember all the good stuff I've got going on - its like something (Connection to my Guidance) clicks into place internally and all of sudden I can hear or I know what external action to take.

Not sure if this will make sense to anyone else...might sound hokey, but doing this kind of internal stuff first, always clarifies my action.

Now, when you see my venting around something that I'm worried about - in the future - would you please be sure to remind me of the above?;):) We are truly all in this together and that's what makes the energy and vibe of this place so very cool and comforting. Seeing the best for you....

"Part of that could be because you aren't Cathe: you may have a different body type and never be able to get that exact look. You might be happier if you accept what your best look is, even if it isn't as 'whatever-you-like-about-it' as Cathe."

Ditto to what Kathryn said. With that said I feel your frustration. It seems like I read something different everytime. Less cardio more weight vs more cardio and less weight. High rep weight, less rep with heavier weight. It truly is enough to make ones head spin. I think you have the right idea though. You do have to give it time to see what works for you. What I've come to accept is that it is a life style change for the rest of our lives. I mean I look at Jai and Lorraine's abs and I think, man I want that and Cathe's body is absolutely amazing have you ever really looked at her back side during those profile shots. I mean she has a perfectly toned and lifted backside. Her job is also fitness and so is Jai and Lorraine's. These tough gals workout several times a day and do this for a living. Think olympic athletes hours and hours a day eating right and working out. Most people don't have the time or dedication for that. I say find a workout that is fun. Dance, kickboxing, hiking. Your more likely to do it. Most importantly give it time. Nothing good ever comes from trying to get things done fast. Slow and steady. Diet pills, fast food, speeding on the freeway, things suffer when you find yourself in a hurry to do things. It may sound cliche but stop and smell the roses and give yourself a pat on the back and a high five for making the commitment to a healthy lifestyle. Good luck.

Last edited:
You might consider consulting with a personal trainer who also has a background in nutrition. He or she can help you come up with a plan based on a variety of factors: your goals, interests, diet, etc etc I found I was doing many things that were actually sabotaging my goals. My trainer set me straight and helped me parse out the useful information from the not so useful information. You also have to remember not to compare yourself with others. I have a hard time with this as well, especially since I am a hard gainer when it comes to muscle. I could only dream of becoming "bulky"

And I agree with Sparrow about the eating. Some people tend to get militant about it and IMHO this is rather self destructive.

I recently started doing kettlebells more seriously, 4 times a week along with cardio, frankly for me? I think these workouts are going to keep me lean and interested. I get sick of the weights and needed something different.

I say, just try something new...my diet hasn't been that great, but I still have seen results because I am doing something different.

BTW, it literally is Cathe's job to look like that...I am sure genetically she is blessed and I am certainly not saying she does not work hard, but her lively hood depends on how fit she is and looks....don't place that sorta pressure on yourself its unrealistic.

If you are feeling fatigued post workout

You may be eating too little and also you probably need to look at getting enough salts and electrolytes. Pedialyte does work. The clear kind is like having gatorade without the dyes/artificial flavors. It sounds like you may also need a bit more protein. In terms of weightloss, I highly recommend yoga. It seems counter intuitive but the act of relaxing has an effect on your entire hormonal profile and lowering stress makes it more possible for your body to release fat. I use the free streaming yoga classes on yoga today dot com. I'm not associated with them, thats just what I do. I should warn you though its not really for beginners on some of their classes so choose wisely and be careful.

I understand exactly how you feel, I"ve been working out for over 20 yrs and I enjoy reading fitness related books and mags which does get confusing. I got tired of the trial and error (what worked for me for many yrs does not work now) decided to bite the bullet and hire an IFBB fitness pro on line. Without going into detail of the plan she created for me (contract issues) it was a very good decision for me. She looked at what I was currently doing, my life style, my hobbies and created a workout and meal plan for me. I check in once a week (for 8 weeks) with a phone call. The added bonus is I have learned a lot about ME by doing this.

I tend to like weight training over cardio so I do more weight training. I've definetly seen massive improvements in my muscles the last six months I've been back into workout out regular. But I still have a layer of fat on my middle area that isn't budging much. I'm trying to eat as clean as possible and not too much or too little. I expected it to fall off faster being my muscles should increase my metabolism. I'm thinking up upping the cardio and lowering the weight training a bit. And do more of my kettlebell workouts for weight training cause I was feeling a difference after them and a nice total body feeling. Once I get to the "thinness" I'm going for I may up the weights again back to what I do now and I'm sure I'll be able to maintain my weight once I reach it. I'm thinking of trying to start jogging/running but I've never done it before so I'm nervous about it. I'm waiting for the weather to cool off a bit. It is still pretty hot even in the evenings with the sun going down.
I guess it really is a trial/error type thing.

hi ladies! first off i want to say thank you for all your responses. i definately realize that i will never look exactly like cathe due to genetics and my available time to workout. since my goal is to just be healthy i'm going to try to balance everything (weights/cardio) and keep in mind both are needed to be healthy and one is not better than the other. On another note, i think that i finally cardio'd myself out this week as this morning when i woke up to get my workout in i had NO desire to do cardio. Thus i decided to put in cathe's muscle max workout. keep in mind that i haven't done a cathe workout in about 3 months! i have been doing my own strength workouts and really i haven't done much of these either b/c i got married and got my boobs done so my weight lifting has been limited. so anyway, when i did muslce max this morning i just about died!!!! i can't believe how much strength i have lost. it actually pissed me off b/c this workout used to be so easy for me. i had to take a few breaks in this workout. but by realizing my loss of strength it has remotivated me to kick up the weight training again as well as get back to cathe's workouts. its obvious that when i do my own strength workouts i don't push myself the way i do when i'm watching cathe. so next week i think i'm going to get back to the gym style series with 2 or 3 days of cardio. the following week i will do slow and heavy and then the third week i will drop back down to 2 full body workouts then i will repeat. this way i'm getting heavy and light weights and keeping my body guessing. how does that sound?

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.