Somersize

I haven't tried her program, it's not the right kind of permanent diet for me specifically, but I can tell you that her plan is a much more sensible version of Atkins, which I think is THE worst diet phenomenon I've ever seen. The underlying principles of keeping blood sugar at a certain level so you keep insulin levels down is terrific, very healthy, but the Atkins way of doing it with nonstop meat, dairy and fat is just horrible and very unhealthy. I know he's a doctor but let's all remember he's also a multimillionaire now thanks to selling $9 boxes of "special" low carb pancake mix, etc (which is essentially just soy flower you could buy way cheaper and make your own). Suzanne's plan seems to emphasize fruits and vegetables more, and on Atkins you aren't even allowed any fruit for a long time. I know 2 people who have been following Somersize for a few weeks now, sort of a team effort, they support each other. They love it, say they're never hungry, the recipes are great and they feel like their clothes are loser. I encouraged them to ditch their scales and go by clothing, not weight. You know the whole thing about muscle weighing more than fat and all that...old news, right?

I'm pretty much a nutrition nut, it's what I will probably concentrate on in school (heading back to college at the ripe old age of 30) and I think Suzanne did a good job, from what I've seen and heard, of putting a healthier spin on an unhealthy diet fad. Her plan should keep you well balanced and be something a lot of people can follow permanently. I personally cut out starches, most sugars and dairy a year ago so plans like hers are difficult for me to adjust. But I can tell you my friends (who split the package) are loving it. It takes preparation and dedication, like any other new diet, but since it's meant to be permanent it's an investment and that seems to make it easier.

Hope this helps some!
Take care!

Hi Rhonda,

I've been "somersizing," or using the methods of food combining that this program espouses, for nearly eight months now, with very good success. I started it at about the same time that I re-dedicated myself to a serious exercise program, so frankly my weight-loss and fitness success so far is due in part to the fact that I workout very regularly. But as a veteran of the Atkins/Protein Power diets, and many other eating programs out there, I personally have found that "somersizing" is much more well-rounded, non-restrictive, realistic for my lifestyle and easy to follow than other programs I've tried.

What I like about it is that it encourages eating from all the food groups (I love bread and other carbs!), and that it eliminates only what I would consider "junk" food such as processed foods, sugar, white bread/white flour/white rice, etc. It also encourages eating tons of fruits and vegetables. And for me it offers great flexibility; if you want to focus on increasing your protein for any given period--be it for one meal, for the entire day or longer-- you can do that. If you're craving carbs, you can have those too, as long as they are whole-grain and wholesome. You just can't have fats/protein and carbs together. And you can follow it eating regular, everyday foods. (I've never even tried any of the recipes in her cookbooks, though some of them look delicious!)

In the eight months since I've been following this regiment, my weight went from 151 pounds to about 126 (I'm 5'3"). I'm extremely satisfied with this weight because I do a fair amount of weight-lifting (including Cathe!) and so have a pretty good amount of muscle. But my body has shed a lot of fat and feels very lean and strong. I have never had anywhere near this level of success on other eating regimens, even when I was exercising seriously.

Anyway, hope this is of some help. I was initially reluctant to respond to your question because diet/nutrition programs elicit such strong responses and emotions, both negative and positive, from people. Someone may well weigh in (no pun intended) with negative responses about why "somersizing" isn't a good idea, etc. But if anything, I've learned over the years that you have to find what works for you, and this has done it for me.

Hope this helps! Best of luck to you.:D

Thanks for the responses. I plan on getting the book and see what it says but from what I heard from these responses and others from other forums, it sounds like a reasonable plan.

Thank again,
Rhonda

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.