So you want to keep your dog outside

DaneDogHouse

Cathlete
This is a very clear explanation of why dogs need to live indoors that a rescue friend of ours wrote. I don't think anyone here keeps their dog(s) out, but you may know someone who does.

So you want to keep your dog outside:

Many potential adopters ask "Is this an 'Outside' dog?" Our answer is, "Not anymore." We only place dogs with people who understand the need of a dog to be a part of the family. Even thousands of years ago when man and all animals lived "outside", there was a cave or den for shelter, and man and dogs lived in small groups or "packs". The truth is, times have changed but we and the dogs haven't. Both humans and dogs are "pack" animals; we do not tend to be solitary. Domesticated, companion dogs no longer have packs of other dogs to live with, so dogs now need to be members of human families or packs. Furthermore, both people and dogs are "den" animals. This is the reason that dogs can be housebroken. Dogs want shelter in a safe, secure den - your home - and they want their den to be clean.

Obviously, dogs can be forced to live outside, alone and away from their families. But to force this kind of life on a dog is one of the worst things you can do to him. Such a life goes against a dog's two most basic instincts: the pack and the den. If you have any doubts about these ideas, think of all the whining, barking, clawing dogs you have seen tied up alone outside. Dogs trying desperately to get their human families' attention, and then just giving up to become hyperactive, listless, fearful, or vicious when the stress of enforced solitude becomes too much to cope with. The rationale given by people who permanently keep their dogs outside is that they will spend time with the pet outside. Even the most well-meaning pet owner does not spend significant time outside, particularly when it is raining or cold. Consequently, under the best of circumstances for the outside dog, a bowl of food and water hastily shoved before him, a quick pat given, and his owner, his WORLD is gone, leaving the animal to spend another 22 or 23 hours alone.

A dog brings you the gifts of steadfast devotion, abiding love, and joyful companionship. Unless you can responsibly accept a dog's offer of these great gifts, please do not get a dog. If you already have a dog, perhaps this article will help you to see things from his point of view, and possibly motivate you to change your relationship with him. A sad, lonely, bewildered dog, kept outside, wondering why he cannot be with his family, brings only sadness and unhappiness to the world.

Jeanine

We find beauty in the most incomprehensible places and the otherwise homely faces. It is our gift to see beyond the dirt, terror, sadness and defeat and find the true soul that lies within. We are Rescue.
www.cfgdr.org

Good post. I realize a lot of people think that they will spend time with their dog when it is outside but the dog is usually forgotten like a toy. There is nothing better than having a dog lying beside you and coming to you for attention. I lie on the couch and I have my Dane's head on me and my Lab mix sitting beside me (different personalities and that is why I love them) They know house rules. React when they think I am going somewhere. If I leave the outside garage door open to take in groceries they run inside thinking they get to go for a ride. They know when it is time to go to bed, and love their baths. They are part of the family. Dogs belong with their owners inside!!

http://wd.1ww.us
http://1ww.us/logo2.gif

Hmmm maybe I should print this up and secretly put this in my neighbor's mail box.

Ever since they moved into our neighborhood 3 yrs ago they have kept that poor dog out back, penned up and all it ever does is howl all night long. Don't even try to get close the that fence when mowing our yard as it will snarl and bare its teeth protecting its domain :(

So so sad really

Very well written. One of my peeves is when a dog is not an inside dog too.

Wonder what some of these people do with their children when we aren't looking?}(

I'm sorry, but just because a dog lives outside doesn't make the owner an abuser.

We have always had outside dogs. They were happy, carefree, healthy, loved dogs. They always had a huge fenced, wooded, back yard (1 acre or more), access through a doggie door to the basement and plenty of love and attention from us.

Personally, I think it's just as cruel to keep a large, active dog inside all the time. Our dogs loved being outdoors and would have not been happy at all were they made to stay inside. Not all situations are black and white.

Hey Jeanine, where did you find that article? I want to print it out directly and send it to the neighbor. The big, sweet dog chained in his back yard breaks my heart. Please?

Jeanine,

Thank you for posting this and.....

AMEN!

Some people just don't know any better. When you know better, you do better.
My boxers need a lot of human contact. Truth is, I need them too. :7

JeanneMarie,

Thanks for chiming in here for those whose dogs love to do both. I have a one year old Retriever he lives inside and outside. He loves to hang out with us in the house, play ball, and chew on his bones while we watch tv. However, there are evenings when we he is outside and doesn't want to come in. He enjoys the sounds of the night and chasing birds. We have a fenced in yard and we clean up the areas so he can't get into something. There are times he just doesn't want to come in the house after his night walk and we have to leave him out. There are days that I leave him out when I go to work because he doesn't want to come inside. He is smart and knows we are leaving, so he chooses his own agenda some days.

That is an excellent article! It also irritates me when people get so obsessed over "shedding." When people ask me if my dogs shed, I usually say, "Yes. And people do, too. Skin cells and hair daily." And sometimes, when I'm feeling really annoyed, I tell them that if they're worried about shedding, they shouldn't have a dog. :eek: No flames, please!

Delfin, I had an interesting comment from a neighbor. We have beige carpeting, it is about 10 years old, in good shape. The neighbor came with her children to sell us something, and she made the comment that our carpet was in such nice shape "even though we have a dog". I just thanked her, but thought, hmmm, would you let your kids tromp through the house with muddy paws, no, you would clean them up first, just like we do with our dog. She knows the command "paw" means sit and give me her paw to be cleaned up. And she patiently waits for me to clean her up before she can come in. Probably more patient than my kids were at a young age!

Delfin,

Another common question, "Do they slobber?" Personally, if you are going to worry about slobber or shedding. Don't get a dog. They are just like children.

I decided to get rid of my carpeting for the sake of the humans and the dogs. I went to a pretty white (stone looking) tile floor and haven't regretted it for a second. I wipe my dogs feet, but my biggest problem with carpet and stains had more to do with vomit. My guys get upset tummies frequently. Anyway, I will always have tile floors.

Me too. It was the dogs or the carpeting. I chose my dogs. Best choice I ever made.

As for the outside dogs, I also agree with the poster above who mentioned the conditions she had created for her outside dogs. First, they were not alone. Second, they had a large yard and freedom. Third, they had easy and constant access to the home and family. These sound like perfect conditions for dogs. I just wish everyone with outside dogs provided them with these necessities.

Shari

I agree with the first poster and the gal that has created a wonderful outside enviroment for her pooch. Dogs need both I think.

Of course our Newfie Georgie sleeps inside in our bedroom by the bed, and really stays inside mostly. He gets his daily walks around the neighborhood, but since its so hot here in the desert, he prefers the cold marble floors, to the outside heat anyday!:)

He does like to go outside in the morning and "keep watch" though. And you want to talk slobber?:eek: Try a Newf on for size! :7 Its everywhere, plus he blows a coat 5 times each year. Love my boy.

I didn't even think about shedding when I got my dog from the pound. When I went to see the dogs, I looked at their personality. Had I considered it, I would NOT have given my dog the time of day. Maybe that's why she was in the pounds for months without ONE inquiry. She seriously sheds, BIG TIME! It doesn't matter how well she's kept groomed. She'll be bathed, dried, and brushed, and still shed clumps of hair moments later. Thank goodness I was drugged that day on cold medicine and not thinking clearly because we just love her despite the shedding. However, I'll seriously consider shedding before allowing myself to become attached to another dog. An outside only dog isn't an option.

Wendy

Tneah,

My boxers are the same. Mine sun bathe out on the deck in the morning, but that's it. They cannot tolerate the extreme temperature changes in our region.

Oh, and eat a steak sandwich in front of my two. The drool....it's like someone turned on a faucet:7
They always have eye goobers I have to wipe away too. I have slobber spots on my clothing. It doesn't bother me. I just wipe it off thinking that's my fur children!

Fit44....Exactly!:) My clothing always has remnants of where Georgie has sniffed or just put his head on my lap for some love!

I told my dh about this thread and my reply about our dog's massive shedding. His response, "With all the stuff our kids put the dog through, it's a wonder she's still got hair!"

I'm always stumbling across evidence of my kids' cruelty when I scroll through my cell phone pictures. Case in point:

319704535.jpg

319704537.jpg[img]

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.