Snowshoes

sherryc

Cathlete
Does anyone have any advice on snowshoes, how they fit, what boots to wear? Some of the new styles look really lightweight and easy to wear. I haven't snowshoed in 30 yrs. and am looking for a new workout during our long winter.
Thanks
Sherry

Sherry,
If there is an EMS or LL Bean store near you I recommend calling them to see if they have any demos coming up. We have both in my area and they are offering sessions to teach the basics and recommend the equipment you would need. They will often offer discounts on the equipment they feature. I love LL Bean because at any time if you decide you aren't happy with something they will take it back, years later even, no questions asked. I've been contemplating buying myself some shoes and giving it a try so please do let us know how you make out. I think it's a great way to w/o without realizing that you are working out....all that scenery and fresh air make for such a great distraction!

Sherry, I love snowshoeing. I usually borrow my friend's husband's snowshoes and I have no idea what brand they are. She is out of town now but I can ask her what brand they are when she gets back. I know that she got them at REI. The people at REI are usually helpful and you can always return things even after they are used. I usually wear waterproof hiking boots with the snowshoes. I am so excited because I will be in Big Sky, MT two weeks from now and I hope to get some snowshoeing in. Have fun!

Sherry, I haven't snowshoed in years either. My shoes are probably about 30 years old. They are wooden and heavy, but, whew, what a workout. I stopped snowshoe-ing when I started cross country skiing. I think that's much more fun. If you alternated the two, you'd have a great lower body rotation, that's for sure.

Sherry,

Get on the web and google. You will get a lot of info that you will need before you decide what kind of snowshoeing you will want to do.

I suggest that you rent a pair for the first time to see if you like it. It isn't too expensive and you will learn from it.

I have Quick Silver size 25. They are very light and can be worn in all terrain. Soft, powder, wet, icy snow and for me trails and day trips. But can be used for longer periods.

Have fun! Snowshoeing burns tons of calories without you even knowing it. Be sure to have and drink lots of water, safety stuff, some food and a backpack to put everything in. One that provides water from a hose is fabulous. A map and a plan is always key. You will need to add your weight and the backpack to figure what size snowshoe you need.

There are other items to be aware of for comfort and items to help you stay dry. But if you google you'll find all that stuff out. Just look under equipment needed for snowshoeing.

Janie

The idea is to die young as late as possible

http://www.picturetrail.com/janiejoey

Hi Sherry,

I love my RedFeather Performance SnowShoes. I'm lucky that I can just take off from my door to use my shoes. They give you a great workout. I live in a rural area by the Mississippi river and Federal Wetlands so there are some great trails or I just go off on my own. Mine are a performance snowshoe, so I can run in them also. I don't use the poles for running though.

Check out Campmor or Sierra Trading, they usually have some great deals on snowshoes. They have good descriptions of the the different snowshoes so you can purchase the right one for your use.

You will love them.

Dianne

Hi Sherry,
We got snowshoes a couple of years ago for Christmas. They are from LLBean and are very easy on/off, in/out; and if I remember correctly, the price wasn't too bad either.
Have fun with your winter workouts!
Calee

It all depends on what you want to do. If you are looking to do some casual snowshoeing without many steep hills - just out to have fun and get some exercise - almost any brand will do. If you are looking to do some pretty rugged trails, then go to a local store and speak to them about snow shoes and the best ones to do what you want to do. I'm a huge fan of MDX shoes, but I do high elevation, steep climbs. I have a pair of LL Beans and they are great for flats, but I wore them on a trail in Rocky Mountain National Park and they gave me massive blisters on the back of my heels because they are not designed to be used that way.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.