Smoothies for children?

Heidisue

Cathlete
I was just wondering if you add protein powder in your smoothie when you make them for your kids too (if it's for you and them)? Is this safe for them? Are there good recipes out there and what kind of protein powder is best?

No, I never include protein powder. Fruit, a little sugar, milk. Sometimes a small scoop of ice cream if it's dessert.

Are you using these as meal replacements? If so, the added protein could be good, but otherwise, I am sure your kids get enough protein in their diets already, right?

Clare

I don't. I use primarily yogurt and fruit with a frozen banana to thicken it up. They don't need much protein and get it from other sources.

My girls do eat enough protein. I was just wondering what ya'll do. :) I was hoping to make them for morning breakfast. Something a little different and a lot better than cereal.

Actually, assuming you are giving them a whole grain cereal, you might want to reconsider cutting that out of their diet. Children need about twice as many nutrients (vitamins and minerals) as adults, relative to body weight (this decreases as they age).

Most children won't get anywhere near that, especially without vitamin fortified cereals and breads.

A bowl of whole grain, fortified cereal can be about a quarter of their required daily nutrients. They won't get that in a smoothie.

Maybe the smoothies could be a healthy snack instead?

You might try using Greek Yogurt in the smoothie as it has a lot more protein than regular yogurt. (17 g per 6 oz in the Fage brand). That's not much less than you'd get in a scoop of protein powder.

My son does NOT eat enough protein so I'm constantly looking for ways to sneak it in. ;)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.