smart balance butter

dhcsim

Cathlete
I went to buy another tub and saw that they have it now w/ flax oil in it. It's called smart balance light (w/ flax oil).I taste a difference. It spreads a LOT easier than the regular smart balance. Anyone else try this?

I've used both the light and the regular. I use them quite often. I like both kinds. Smart Balance is the closest thing to "real" butter I have found w/o actually having to use REAL butter. :9

My Mom gets Smart Balance spray butter. It has nothing it it. No calories, fat, carbs, sugar, NOTHING. I guess it says per serving though but whatever. :+ And its pretty good too!

~Adri;-)
|_|_|
|_|_|
|_|_|

Hi,

I have used them both and like the light one because it seems
to spread easier. I like the fact that they are non dairy too.
I think the regular one would be best for
baking though, I don't dare bake because I end up eating most
of it myself!!

HI> I have used both. I also buy the spray for veggies and corn on the cob. I love it and the kids love it too.

Hey guess what? Just got back from a medical nutrition conference on the 400 percent increase in American Obesity since 2001! AND, BUTTER IS STILL WORSE THAN MARGERINE!!! Butter STILL far out ranks margerine in overall lardo factor, and trans fats.......oh how I sobbed!!!! So, back to the flaxy fakey stuff!

To all you butter bashers: Butter contains saturated fats (only trace amounts of naturally occurring trans fat which is harmless in this case) which our bodies NEED for proper cellular and lung function and which have nourished our ancestors for millenia. It also contains vitamin A and lauric acid, an anti-fungal/anti-viral compound. The wulzen factor in butter helps prevent joint stiffness, and when you put butter on your veggies the fat act as a catalyst to help you absorb and utilize nutrients.

Here's how they make margarine:
Vegetable oils are extracted at high temperatures from the cheapest sources- corn, canola, cottonseed, soybeans etc., rendering them rancid from the get-go. Hexane, a carcinogen, is used to remove the last fraction of oil. Then the oils are steam cleaned, which removes the rancid odor and all vitamins and minerals, but not solvents or pesticides. Next stop: a nickel catalyst is added before oil is put in a reactor, where it's flooded with hydrogen gas at high temperatures and pressures. It comes out of the reactor lumpy, smelly, and grey. Emulsifiers are added to remove lumps before the oil is steam cleaned again to get rid of the chemical odor. Synthetic vitamins and artificial flavors are mixed in, but the coloring must be natural by law (!). Then you have your margarine, promoted to the unsuspecting public as "health food".

Were very many Americans obese when they ate butter and lard? Seems to me the rise in obesity correlates with the rise in consumption of polyunsaturates. Our bodies simply weren't designed to process large amounts of vegetable oils. If we need MACHINES to extract this stuff is it really good for us? Can we say we're eating clean if our food comes out of a factory, altered at the molecular level?

HALLELUJAH, I agree with you. But I also think the obesity rate has to do with inactivity as well but, hello, I'm right there with ya! I like the way you think!

Jen

Yes, I have. In fact, I had it this morning on my toast. I actually like the Trader Joe's version of this butter better. I need to get to that store. :)

Dallas

Yes, the rise in obesity has many causative factors. I didn't mean to imply that margarine was THE cause but I guess it might have sounded like that from my post.

>> Our bodies simply weren't
>designed to process large amounts of vegetable oils. If we
>need MACHINES to extract this stuff is it really good for us?
>Can we say we're eating clean if our food comes out of a
>factory, altered at the molecular level?
>

A very good point.

My theory is that all these modern 'artificíal" foods (HFCS, hydrogenated oils, even substances that still look like 'foods' but are so highly processed and refined that they are as good as artificial, like many vegetable oils) are things that our bodies can't recognize and therefore deal with, and one response of the body is to just give up and store the stuff somewhere (like on hips, thighs and waist)!

They talked about the margarine vs. butter issue on Oprah yesterday. The cardiologist and other MD on the show said that margarine is really bad healthwise and to rather eat butter, because the human body has a genetic program for it and can "recognize it", no program for margarine. They both said that the margarine will clog your artheries and had a pretty graphic illustration.

As someone said before, there is just too much artificial "stuff" in the margarine and there are some know carcinogenics used during "production", I personally prefer the real thing above the fake stuff. I just eat it in moderation and replace it sometimes on my toast with low-fat cottage cheese.

I really don't buy into the whole low-fat craze. I started gaining weight out of control while I was doing everything no-fat and low-fat trying to loose pregnancy weight after my 2nd pregnancy. With the first one I had lost the weight by exercising, eating a normal diet and low-and-behold whole milk or 2 % milk, butter, whole or low-fat yogurt in 3 months.

On the no-fat I was just hungry all the time and the weight kept going up and up. A couple of months ago I just thought screw it and went back to eating whole fat or 2 % fat, wasn't hungry anymore AND lost 20 lbs so far.

During this all I never was into margarine though, too artifical for me, doesn't fit my understanding of "clean eating".

Everyone has to make their own decisions about diet and what's good for them.

Have a great day!

Carola

>To all you butter bashers: Butter contains saturated fats
>(only trace amounts of naturally occurring trans fat which is
>harmless in this case) which our bodies NEED for proper
>cellular and lung function and which have nourished our
>ancestors for millenia. It also contains vitamin A and lauric
>acid, an anti-fungal/anti-viral compound. The wulzen factor
>in butter helps prevent joint stiffness, and when you put
>butter on your veggies the fat act as a catalyst to help you
>absorb and utilize nutrients.
>
>Here's how they make margarine:
>Vegetable oils are extracted at high temperatures from the
>cheapest sources- corn, canola, cottonseed, soybeans etc.,
>rendering them rancid from the get-go. Hexane, a carcinogen,
>is used to remove the last fraction of oil. Then the oils are
>steam cleaned, which removes the rancid odor and all vitamins
>and minerals, but not solvents or pesticides. Next stop: a
>nickel catalyst is added before oil is put in a reactor, where
>it's flooded with hydrogen gas at high temperatures and
>pressures. It comes out of the reactor lumpy, smelly, and
>grey. Emulsifiers are added to remove lumps before the oil is
>steam cleaned again to get rid of the chemical odor.
>Synthetic vitamins and artificial flavors are mixed in, but
>the coloring must be natural by law (!). Then you have your
>margarine, promoted to the unsuspecting public as "health
>food".
>
>Were very many Americans obese when they ate butter and lard?
>Seems to me the rise in obesity correlates with the rise in
>consumption of polyunsaturates. Our bodies simply weren't
>designed to process large amounts of vegetable oils. If we
>need MACHINES to extract this stuff is it really good for us?
>Can we say we're eating clean if our food comes out of a
>factory, altered at the molecular level?

Finally, a voice of reason! I never gave up on my butter, I just don't use it very often and I keep the amount to a minium. And it always makes me laugh when people bake a sugar laden batch of cookies but use magarine instead of butter, like that's supposed to be healthy or something--lol!

LOL!!! I agree, sugar cookies but no butter!!! I, too, have not given up on butter. I use it in moderation, as in everything else, but that fake stuff, forget it. It does not taste the same. And I have never used margarine and will never start using it either. And for the obesity, that starts with home training and individual choices. If you choose to be a couch potato, what do you expect? And if you choose not to make healthy choices for most meals, but opt McDonald's what do you expect? Butter has NOTHING on McDonald's. Do you know that one big breakfast at McDonald's is almost 1500 calories, alone? Again, choices everyone.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.