Slow Burn - completely opposite to Insanity

WantFit

Cathlete
Just got an e-mail and had a link for this article. It is totally different approach compared to Insanity. I love Insanity. But currently I am nursing my glute and hamstring injury (butt pain). I can't do it. My daughter is using it once a week. She loves it.

I am thinking to get this book. Anyone read it?

http://www.amazon.com/dp/0062736744?tag=wwwpeertrainc-20&camp=213381&creative=390973&linkCode=as4&creativeASIN=0062736744&adid=19N5PPQVXTBDNT5E7HFK&

Amazon.com Review
Exercise trends come and go, and one of the ones that went in the late 1990s was the idea of exercising slowly to burn more fat. The theory was well rooted in exercise science--you burn a higher percentage of fat while exercising slowly and a higher percentage of carbohydrate as you speed up--but not very practical for most people. If you're only going to exercise for a half-hour a day, you burn a lot more calories by going fast than slow, regardless of how many of those calories come from fat.
Now Stu Mittleman, probably the foremost advocate of slow exercise, wants to reopen the argument. Slow Burn presents an entire lifestyle plan built around running slowly. He doesn't disagree with the idea that you can lose weight faster by training faster; he just thinks it's too stressful for the body to exercise that way.

Mittleman is one of the most famous long-distance runners in the world, and by long, we're talking really long: he once ran 571 miles in six days. So the program he outlines in Slow Burn shows you how to slow down and achieve more--an exercise plan that's less stressful to your body; a diet plan with less sugar and more healthy, unsaturated fats from fish and olive oil; and some tips about rethinking your everyday life to make it less stressful. (For example, he advocates the 85 percent rule: try to do everything the right way 85 percent of the time, and don't knock yourself out over the last 15 percent.) He also peppers the book with theories he's picked up from various branches of alternative medicine and nutrition--applied kinesiology, reflexology, and eating according to blood type. Mittleman's plan isn't for everyone. Certainly, if you like weight lifting or fast-paced sports like hockey and basketball, you won't find much to like here. But if you hate the pressure to always go faster, faster, faster, in life and in exercise, you'll find that Mittleman is on your side. --Lou Schuler --This text refers to an out of print or unavailable edition of this title.

Product Description
Change your workout, change your life

In Slow Burn, endurance master Stu Mittleman delivers a program for creating energy and increasing endurance so you can go the distance and feel great doing it every day, week, and year.

Think Stu shares his proven formula for breaking down seemingly insurmountable goals into a series of manageable tasks.

Train Learn to understand your body's signals and refocus your training so that the movement -- not the outcome -- is the reward.

Eat Stu taeches you how to make nutritional choices that leave you energized -- not exhausted -- all day long.

You really can accomplish more -- with less effort -- than you ever imagined. All you have to do is change your focus and you'll change your life. Let Slow Burn show you how to enjoy the journey and achieve the results.

Have read the book quite a while back while I was struggling with my weight gain. It is a good read. It is not a book telling you how and what to exercise but it give you the mental approach to sustaining your goals to exercise. Now that you bring it up here, I want to borrow from my library to read it again. I remembered it was a very good book and worth reading it.

Have read the book quite a while back while I was struggling with my weight gain. It is a good read. It is not a book telling you how and what to exercise but it give you the mental approach to sustaining your goals to exercise. Now that you bring it up here, I want to borrow from my library to read it again. I remembered it was a very good book and worth reading it.

Thanks for your input.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.