Slow and Heavy compared to Gym-Style Workouts

Renee McFar

Cathlete
Need some advice please. I am still in the "want to gain muscle" mode. I have been using the Gym-Style workouts, occasionally doing a week of endurance workouts to shake things up.

I would like a set of "build" muscle workouts to go w/the Gym-Style's, as I do not wish to get tired of doing the Gym-Styles all the time.

Would the Slow and Heavy workouts be a good set to use along w/ the Gym-Style's for strength/muscle building?

Any other suggestions? I already own the Pyramids, ME,Power Hour,and Muscle Max.

Thanks all! :D

Yes, absolutely.

The S&H still has a much slower count than the GS. After you have done the S&H only for a few weeks, even the slower count of GS (when compared to PH, CTX upper, etc) seems fast!

After doing a S&H rotation for 5-6 weeks, I started doing S&H and GS combined on a rotation, each once per week, and my goal was to keep the muscle mass and strength I had gained while doing S&H, but introduce some variety. It worked well for the 2 weeks I did it. Then I had to go on a trip and missed 2 weeks workouts, but I intend to go back to that same rotation and stay on it indefinitely as the best one to build strength and keep it there for my body type (long, skinny arms, hard to build muscle).

S&H is an awesome series, possibly my favourite.

Clare

Clare, I'm an ecto/hard gainer like you and would like to build more mass and strength. If you do S&H plus GS each once a week, how many hours a day do you work out? Also, what type of cardio do you do and how often do you do it? Do you do yoga or Pilates at all? Is there one part of your body that's specifically hard to strengthen?

I hope you don't mind all the questions!:)

Thank you Clare. My arms were slow to show muscle too. The band work in the Hardcore sereis really helped a lot.

Slow and Heavy is now on my "to buy soon" list.

:) Renee

I did S&H in April after about 6 weeks of Gym Styles. When I went back to Gym Styles, I noticed that I had gotten so used to the very slow counts in S&H that the moves in Gym Styles felt rushed. So as much as I had made progress in those 6 weeks of Gym Styles, I had to lower my weights and work my way back up. It was a bit disappointing, but I took it as a good sign. My body had gotten used to one way of working out and needed a change.

I can only do one S&H every other day or in between cardio days because the slow counts are quite stressful to the body. So I basically do one body part per week. Due to knee issues, I don't do S&H-legs. I sub with LL.

With Gym Styles, I can do GS-CT, say, on a Monday, then GS-BSB on a Wednesday, then finish up with an endurance workout (PH, ME or MM) on Friday or Saturday. So I get to work a body part twice a week.

Right now I'm using Gym Styles one week then PS the next. Last week I used Gym Styles with PH. I'm planning on using PS-upper body with PUB this week, and alternate the weeks this way 'til the road trip. I'm hoping for the best.:)

Pinky

I have an option to get the slow and heavy DVD for $31, but I wasn't going to do it because I just got the pyramid dvd. This post is making me rethink that.
I'd love more definition- especially if I can do it without having to decrease my food consumption!! LOL
Seriously, though, do you think I should bite the bullet and get S&H?

I have long thin arms and finally are getting them to look like little Popeye arms.

I have been doing GS uppers putting a day of cardio (run) in every other day. This has been allowing my muscles time to grow. Originally I was doing a weight workout everyday..different areas but was overtraining. Recently I purchased the S&H's. I've only done the Bicep S&H on the day I do GS Biceps. So the one day I do biceps I work them hard and it is paying off.

Eventually I will do this with all the body parts. In a few weeks I will put emphasis on tri's and do a double workout just for that body part. This is working for me now. For legs I do PL one day a week.

~Chrissy~

Question pinky...In the second to the last paragraph where you are telling how you do the Gym-Style upper body workouts, you do not mention Gym-Style Legs. Do you use that workout also? Therefore training you legs twice a week?

Thanks!

I ordered S&H..they are on the way!!! I am so excited!

Hi Renee, yes, when using GS, I use GS-L on a Tuesday or a Thursday (based on the example above). A second leg training workout for me during the week would be a kickboxing workout -- since my knees can't keep up with too many weighted squats and lunges -- or a combination of KM combos and LM blasts. If my knees are really beat, I combine the floor work in Cathe's leg workouts. I love the combination of GS-L and the ankle weight segment of L&G the best.

Pinky

S&H would be great for your goals!
I love the slow count, which lets me play around with it, doing variations like 5 up/3 down, 3 up/5 down, 4 up/4 down (the "2 down" count just seems too fast too me on many moves).

That being said, I'm not really fond of S&H lower body, which is too tough on my knees, but shoulders is on that one, so you can't really not get it, even if you are getting the videos.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.