Slimming question

LizC7

Cathlete
Hi Everyone
I just went through an STS rotation and started Body Beast. My legs have bulked a little - just enough for my work pants to be a little too tight in the thigh area. If I want to slim out my legs a little should I still lift heavy? Incorporate more ploy type of workouts for legs? Cut out more carbs?

run interval, hiit and spinning really burn the booty/leg fat and you should continue your heavy lifting but if you already have a low body fat and the muscle is really bulky (verses a good muscle coveted in fat which makes your pants tight) then changing from a heavy leg routine to something like LIS lower body should take some of the bulk out of the muscle

The main thing is if you have great muscle def and its covered with fat then its basically all about the diet. The cut look takes a lot of eating clean.

Thank you - running intervals?

Thank you both - what are running intervals? I do think I need to eat cleaner. It seems like a little fat on the muscle. I'll throw some more spinning in for sure as well. What about HIIT?

Diet is the most important thing. If you don't have it already, I recommend getting the app from MyFitnessPal so you can track what you eat on a daily basis. It is free and I find it very useful. They also have support forums online.

Also, if you are lifting heavy you need to watch out your sodium intake, you will definitely bulk from heavy weights if your body has that tendency, but if you eat too much sodium you will gain water weight as well which will also make your thighs bigger from all the swelling. I find that barre type workouts like Turbo Barre, leg floor work, and high rep/light weight workouts make me look more leaner. I still lift heavy but only 2-3 days a week, and add Barre, leg floor work, and high rep/light weight workouts the rest of the week. I also recommend 1-2 days for a lighter cardio choice (walking for example) or a flexibility based workout like yoga or athletic stretching. Sometimes the muscles need a couple of lighter days to recover so you can lose the muscle pump. I hope this helps. :)

I agree with the above. I find that barre work, Tracy Anderson and light weight makes a difference for me. After completing STS followed by CLX I could no longer fit my thighs and arms into my clothes. I changed it up and started doing more barre etc and added in lots more walking and it all slimmed down. Gotta watch your diet too.

You have had good advises above.

I would advise you to custom your lowerbody routine and goal based on the knowledge of your body type. What work for someone does not necessarily for you. As Cathe quoted on the newsletter it's not a exact science.

Cathe has listed a macro ratio for mesomorph on the article. This could help you in food selection. if you are an ectomorph you would need 50 per cent carbs IMO.

Cathe Friedrich - Fitness Training for Your Body Type or Somatotype - Cathe Friedrich.

All the best:):):)

Thank you both - what are running intervals? I do think I need to eat cleaner. It seems like a little fat on the muscle. I'll throw some more spinning in for sure as well. What about HIIT?

Running intervals means alternating either a lot slower pace are walking with intervals of running. Hiit is similar except that running intervals doesn't necessarily mean working as hard as a real Hiit work out. It seemed to thin out my lower body the fastest, I like to do it for about 30 minutes or so and then do about 15 or 20 minutes of a yoga style stretch. I prefer stretch Max for that. It makes for about a 45 minute 25 minute workout total. But it doesn't have to be that long.

Hit does not seem to be nearly as good as running intervals for lower body weight loss. I think it has to do with the fact that you're not doing plyos. I don't entirely know why but it just seems to work out that way. Try it 2 to 3 times a week and see how it looks.

Running intervals means alternating either a lot slower pace are walking with intervals of running. Hiit is similar except that running intervals doesn't necessarily mean working as hard as a real Hiit work out. It seemed to thin out my lower body the fastest, I like to do it for about 30 minutes or so and then do about 15 or 20 minutes of a yoga style stretch. I prefer stretch Max for that. It makes for about a 45 minute 25 minute workout total. But it doesn't have to be that long.

Hit does not seem to be nearly as good as running intervals for lower body weight loss. I think it has to do with the fact that you're not doing plyos. I don't entirely know why but it just seems to work out that way. Try it 2 to 3 times a week and see how it looks.

I usually start with 5 min fast walk then do 2 min run 2-3 min job/walk for about 30 min it always melts the fat from my lower body also. Great minds ;)

I always think of it like a car - a car burns more fuel in stop/go traffic verse steady ride. My body burns fat in the same way. I'm guessing the whole Hiit stuff works on the same principle

I agree with the above. I find that barre work, Tracy Anderson and light weight makes a difference for me. After completing STS followed by CLX I could no longer fit my thighs and arms into my clothes. I changed it up and started doing more barre etc and added in lots more walking and it all slimmed down. Gotta watch your diet too.

This and what Islandrose wrote.... I have totally backed off heavy weights because of the bulk issue. However I am shorter with a solid frame so bulky muscles are not a look I like on myself anymore. I have been able to keep muscle tone and definition without heavy weights (still doing resistance work, cardio and light weights) and really watching my diet.

Since you now have a solid muscle base from STS you could switch up your training to lighter endurance and floor work (still keep cardio!) and you will probably see some really good slimming results.;)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.